chasmmi

The Top 100 Film Characters of All Time Countdown Thread - Top 20 incoming!

It Begins!!!

* The rundown will begin at 104th place.

* Ties will be decided first by number of votes and second by highest single vote made.

* Due to the threshold for making the list being 20 points (but needing at least 2 votes), there will be 5 characters on this list voted for by just one person.

* A total of 488 different characters received votes in the making of this list.

With all that said, on to 104th place...

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 2

104th: Roy Batty - Blade Runner - Rutet Hauer 

20pts - 2 votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcJs4qJPQ_M&index=1&list=PL6E3F0E0C8FD3104F

And we kick off our list with an antagonist. It is also the first of I am sure to be many Dutch actors to appear on our list. Appearing in films and TV shows ranging from Dracula 3: Legacy to Sin City and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Batty is probably safely his most recognisable role. And if this list teaches me nothing new in researching actors I don't know a great deal about, I can now say that I know there are been 4 Scorpion King films now.

Blade Runner is one of those films that most people who are not me hold in high regard and the fact that Ford's character in the film ranks a lowly 346th suggests that a lot of the kudos for the film being so popular may well need to go to Mr Hauer.

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 5

103rd: Sergeant Hartman - Full Metal Jacket - R Lee Ermey 

20pts - 2 votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur3121e_Cgg

In a Golden Globe winning performance, R Lee Ermey plays lovable rogue Sgt. Hartman, a softly spoken kind-hearted officer who just wants what is best for him men and is always willing to lend a warm shoulder or friendly ear to a man in need. It is also possible that a lot of this could be lies.

As a former Drill Sergeant for reals. Ermey Ad Libbed a lot of his lines for the role and it's fair to assume that such real world experiences of how an army barracks worked helped to shape the character that we see on screen.  

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 3

charactors...

Like my previous post said was, virtually falling unconscious yesterday as I tried to start this as promised, but thank you for continuing to bring your unique brand of optimistic cheer into every thread. :)

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 1

Why the fuck do I always forget to vote?

If you can PM me something in the next 3 hours before I start up again, there have only been 2 names revealed so far so it wouldn't casue too much disruption to add it.

I'm not delaying this again though, so in three-four hours time, when position 99 gets revealed it will be too late for me to alter anything :)

102nd: Jack Dawson - Titanic - Leonardo Dicaprio 

20pts - 2 votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oklPl95DC8c

Surprisingly the highest ranking Dicaprio role, Jack Dawson was possibly the point where Leo's string of Oscar 'snubs' began. With everything from Best Actress to Best Use of Irish Jigs in a Motion Picture getting nominated for the Oscar, it seems crazy that the Academy could believe that a film they statistically rate as pretty much the greatest ever, did so with an average lead actor performance.  

Dawson is the first good guy to find their way onto the list, but I am confident not the last and in my own humble opinion, Dicaprio brought a level of energy to the role of Jack that few young actors of the time would have managed. Now with the benefit of glorious hindsight, we know better that he was a little bit more than a pretty face that liked to sketch boobies.   

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 5

101st: Daniel Plainview - There Will Be Blood - Daniel Day-Lewis 

20pts - 2 votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHz-zZoBnbc

The first Best Lead Actor Oscar-winning role on the list and like Dicaprio before him, another great actor to have a surprisingly low ranking with their highest scoring role. I'll have to admit this is not a film I have seen so I cannot really go into many superlatives over the intricacies of the role and character but if this is the highest scoring Day-Lewis role on the list then it must have done a few things right.

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 2

100th: Stitch - Lilo and Stitch - Chris Sanders 

20pts - 2 votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlfaMCmGz1U

In one fell swoop we have the first animated character, first non-human character and the first single name character. I only saw Lilo and Stitch for the first time last year as it had been on the list of late 90's till Tangled Disney films that I avoided in the assumption that everything after Tarzan was obviously going to be terrible (turns out I was wrong multiple times).

But back to the character at hand, I found both Stitch and Lilo to be delightful animated characters and even if I personally preferred Lilo as a character, I am happy to see Stitch squeeze onto the list. He was both sweet, cute, crazy and funny all at once and this is reflected in the story. A film that from the outside looks like it will likely just be a silly 'alien and girl' film actually is packed with heart and quite honestly is a lovely family film with a human centre to it.

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 7

99th: Scalett O'Hara - Gone With The Wind - Vivien Leigh 

20pts - 2 votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrhNPS4nbmQ

The first female character on the list and I may be mistaken but I also believe the oldest character in the list too (actually with further research it's an immensly close call between her and another character [or two maybe] :) ). Gone With the Wind is one of those films that everyone knows and everybody on the planet has seen (well at least adjusted for inflation they did) and Scarlett has become a name that is almost synonymous with just one person: Miss O'Hara.

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 2

98th: Dr Ian Malcolm - Jurassic Park - Jeff Goldblum 

20pts - 2 votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PLvdmifDSk

And now it's time to remember that magical period in box office history where Jeff Goldblum kind of became the biggest draw on the planet. Jurassic Park was a film unlike anything we'd really seen before and was a true tour de force of what both CGI and animatronics were capable of. It's to the full credit of the cast then, that they were not completely overshadowed by the effects on display like some could have been (I'm looking at you, stars of Avatar!)

Ian Malcolm was the brightest human character in the film and it's probably only the less than stellar 'Lost World' that stopped him potentially climbing even a little higher on the list.

For reference, Sam Neill finished in 112th, the T-Rex 243rd, the Raptors 314th and finally John Hammond was 356th.  

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 5

Everything in spoilers until he finds his rightful spot on the list.

style="font-size: 36px;">??? Starlord - Guardians of
the Galaxy - Chris Pratt 

???pts
- ??? votes

style="font-size: 14px;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbweNU-iU6c

The first character on the list with 3 votes and
the first (of quite possibly many) Marvel character too. Starlord is also the
first character on the list that would have been ineligible for the
previous list (due to not existing at the time) and is clearly, and maybe
somewhat surprisingly the clear favourite of the Guardians cast. The only
others to make the list anywhere being Gamora in 368th and Groot in 455th.

After just one film outing it seems clear that
Starlord is a possible mainstay fan favourite of the Marvel Universe and so long
as the sequel (s?) succesfully builds on what the first film gave us, 2017's
list could see Starlord make a charge for the upper echilons.

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 4

97th: Dr. Ryan Stone - Gravity - Sandra Bullock 

20pts - 3 votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHc9Io_Q_C0

Time to turn our attention to the ladies for a little bit with three female characters in a row to get through. We start with Ryan Stone, pretty much the only role present for the duration of Gravity's runtime (I still am half-positive that George Clooney didn't just turn up on set unannounced in a spacesuit, Clooney-ed around all over the place while cameras were rolling and the director just decided 'ah hell with it, I ain't shooting these scenes again, leave him in and see what happens).

In all seriousness though, Bullock does an amazing job of holding the audience for 70-80 minutes with just a fire extinguisher as her main co-star during that period. The film is a technical marvel it's true, but Bullock brings some genuine humanity to the story and there was more than one occasion where she actually made you believe she might not make it, she made the peril feel real.

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 3