chasmmi

The Top 100 Film Characters of All Time Countdown Thread - Top 20 incoming!

You are entitled to your completely incorrect opinion James (except on Grand Budapest, that was pretty horrible :) ), but for the record, Groundhog Day is about as artsy as my arse after a twenty minute walk through the Amazon on a Summer's mid-afternoon.

Looks like my no. 2 is pretty low on the list. Too bad. Thankfully, my no. 1 is locked for Top 10 (I think).

Nope. I don't do artsy movies. This forum had a colective orgasm over The Grand Budapest Hotel and that was a complete piece of trash.

Yeah, Ferris Bueller and Groundhog Day are so artsy-fartsy.

• Like 4

Nope. I don't do artsy movies. This forum had a colective orgasm over The Grand Budapest Hotel and that was a complete piece of trash.

I agree about The Grand Budapest Hotel, it was mediocre. Last years Oscar's best movies are Boyhood and Whiplash.

• Like 1

Wish I would have submitted a whole 100, Anakin Skywalker? :P he is like one of the worst characters ever, and this is coming from someone who likes the prequels.

tumblr_n9srm5AcII1rhuccro2_500.gif

By the way, I saw Mean Girls today. It was really funny and entertaining.

tumblr_mzgtjtRH5A1qd5mq1o1_500.gif

• Like 3

78th: Remy - Ratatouille - Patton Oswalt  

28pts - 2 votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwLKPDJqldw

Well we have had Disney and we have had Ghibli, so it was only a matter of time until Pixar turned up and its first representative is the rat who loves to cook: Remy. Probably not the last time we'll see a Pixar character, but Remy dates back to a time when Pixar films were  almost always met with universal acclaim from all quarters.

Ratatouille was a film where the animation and food were wonders to behold and Oswalt made you feel like this rat felt the beauty of what was occuring before him. Ratatouille was a film that feels underrated by some, overrated by others, but overall it was a lovely little animation with a lovely lead character.

• Like 5

77th: Andy Dufresne - The Shawshank Redemption - Tim Robbins 

28pts - 3 votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt75VjvRW34

Truth be told, I prefer Red as a character in this film (416th place), but Andy Dufresne was an awesome part of one of the greatest films ever made, it has to be agreed. The Shawshank Redemption is at the top of almost every best film list for a reason and the lead roles were major contributors to why that would be the case.

Tim Robbins is great in this role and as an audience member you feel every twist and turn his character experiences and you grow to understand both his motives and his methods. A great addition to the list in my opinion.

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 3

76th: Aladdin - Aladdin - Scott Weinger

28pts - 3 votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcTC7RkmHac

Okay, onto my second favourite character from my second favourite Disney animation. Aladdin was and will forever be one of Disney's finest moments and aladdin was one of the final great Disney roles to be played by a less than famous voice actor as opposed to a Hollywood star.

Aladdin was bright, brash and full of energy. He was a modern character set in ye olden times and it blends so well. He holds the film together and maintains amazing chemistry with the rest of the cast, including one character who may or may not be  yet to appear. :)

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 5

75th: The Wicked Witch of the West - The Wizard of Oz

- Margaret Hamilton

28pts - 3 votes

[media/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnXAl1ntt_4[/media]

The final character on our list who was capable of being bested by a single 1st place vote is also the oldest villain on our list. The wicked witch is a timeless character that has been revisited countless times in film and TV history. Yet it is unlikely that anybody will ever surpass the original incarnation of the role as played by Hamilton.

Try as they might, Mila Kunis and Mabel Booth, just couldn't measure up to this performance.  

• Like 5

Regardless of your opinion on Grand Budapest, Ferris Bueller and Groundhog Day are like the exact opposite of artsy films lol

• Like 1

Edge of Tomorrow is much funnier than Groundhog Day and it isn't even a comedy.

Edge of Tomorrow has a lot of great dark humor, but Groundhog Day is almost a laugh-riot from start to finish.

• Like 3

What a wonderful list. Unsurprisingly very villain heavy so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtkNbOwWLQ

This was an interesting watch. I've never seen Miyazaki behind the scenes before. He seems like the warmest and politest taskmaster ever! :D 

• Like 2

Edge of Tomorrow has a lot of great dark humor, but Groundhog Day is almost a laugh-riot from start to finish.

I recently rewatched Groundhog Day, I hadn't seen it since I was a child. I laughed once. ONCE. I laughed at least 5 times in Edge of Tomorrow. Some of the moments like where Cruise rolls under a truck like an action star and just gets run over, are pure gold.

DAMN IT TREE

Yeah, sorry, I got there first. I don't even slightly understand how anyone can think Groundhog Day and Ferris Bueller are arthouse films.