chasmmi

The Top 100 Film Characters of All Time Countdown Thread - Top 20 incoming!

Elsa was a weaker character than Anna, Olaf, and Kristoff

I agree, she's more a symbol for being different than a fleshed out character.  She's beautiful with very cool powers but she was fearful and passive  (running away, singing a song and building an ice palace to  hide in)  until near the very end.   It's Anna who's brave and risks everything including her life and she's the one with a vibrant personality .

I agree, she's more a symbol for being different than a fleshed out character.  She's beautiful with very cool powers but she was fearful and passive  (running away, singing a song and building an ice palace to  hide in)  until near the very end.   It's Anna who's brave and risks everything including her life and she's the one with a vibrant personality .

To an extent, I partially blame Jennifer Lee for deliberately not fleshing out Elsa further. Lee, having been a younger sister in real life, related to Anna more and actively pushed for her to get more focus in the movie. It wasn't until the Lopezes wrote "Let It Go" that they realized they had something incredibly unique and special with Elsa.

I actually love Anna and think she is unfairly, though understandably, overlooked. But Elsa is a type of character we just don't get in Western animation. In many ways, Elsa is the inverse of Riley. The nature of her powers are such that her emotions are externalized and actually have the capability of affecting people on a large scale. That amount of simultaneous vulnerability and power has immense potential to be explored further. She runs because it's not just her life that is at stake but also that of her sister's and the entire kingdom's. Her demons have been laid bare and they are triggering an icy end to the world as she knows it. 

Here's hoping we get to learn more about Elsa's incredibly fascinating psyche and powers in Frozen 2

9e6c2e862f019476fa0af5d63f421538.jpg

Edited by Spidey Freak

4th - Luke Skywalker - Star Wars - Mark Hamill

151pts - 8 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVUi1iMOWmc

And it is back to Star Wars land and Skywalker the younger. Even withsatanding the popularity of this franchise (something that will always baffle me), I was surprised to see Luke beat Han. I always saw him as kind of the character that was there to move the plot along as opposed to the one everybody loved, but that is clearly not the case.

Star Wars was a cinematic phenomenon and unlike some film series, the original characters have not been tarnished by their future appearances in future disappointing sequels (barring Yoda and the robots). If Episode 7 turns out to be awful (which I hope it isn't), it will be interesting to see how this affects the reputations of Han, Luke and Leia if they subsequently become associated with a bad Star Wars film.

• Like 6

3rd - Ripley - Alien(s[3<Ressurection>]) - Sigorney Weaver

157pts - 9 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NO-0lASUw

The top rated female character: Ellen Ripley from Alien. It was a two and fro battle with Elsa, but eventually, everyones favourite action heroine won through (and without even singing a song).

James Cameron has to be applauded for his talent of making strong female characters and making them as awesome and memorable as they have become. Some of the best things about Ripley (and Connor too) are that this is just a atrong role, a character we can follow and get behind.

Weaver is a great actress who has been succesful in multiple genres, but she defines herself as Ripley. Even when the films are less than stellar (3+4), Ripley still comes out of them looking strong, cool and all the other synonyms we love to spout when praising characters.

A deservedly high placed finish.

• Like 8

2nd - Indiana Jones - Indiana Jones - Harrison Ford

221pts - 11 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr-8AP0To4k

He should have come first! Damn you all! But yes in second we have Indy, Ford's best ever role and the best action hero we'll ever see. Wisecracking, Nazi-fighting all round cool guy Jones made treasure hunting cool. That boulder scene has probably been parodied more than anything else in cinema.

Harrison made this role (I just can't see Selleck pulling this off), and in turn made a legend. Somebosdy I want to see time and time again, despite the disappointment of 4, I'm still rewady to queue up first night for numbers 5,6,7 and 8 if they make them.

• Like 12

1st - Jar Jar Binks - Star Wars 1-3 - Ahmed Best

236pts - 10 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWL-kS9QAQU

The most beloved member of the Star War universe takes his deserved place at the top of our list.

Be it his great one liners, hilarious antics or general inportance to the plot, this heroic Gungan warlord changed the face of Star Wars forever. When people think episode 1-3, their mind almost always turns to Jar jar, that was his lasting effect on the world of cinema.

He will never be bettered, never be beaten, never be forgotton.  

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 6

79th: Seita - Grave of the Fireflies - Tsutomu Tatsuma

26pts - 3 vote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPeTSRd580

Quite possibly the saddest thing you'll ever watch. This film is evil, pure evil in how much it just rips hope out of your heart and destroys you with the slow destruction of the main characters.

The fact that the film's opening scene is Seita's death should warn you that you are not about to experience talking bears dancing to the beat as they pick fruit in the jungle, but still, this is one of the greatest animations, greatest war films, greatest films ever made and is something that should be watched by everyone. Just make sure it is alone, away from people who won't get to see you cry for about 75 straight minutes even though you don't normally do that sort of thing. Or that could theoretically happen at least.

Shit... If I had submitted a list myself (I just didn't come across this before today), I would have definitely put Seita on the top 10 and Setsuko maybe in the top 5, maybe even top 3!! But still, this being a 1988 Japanese depressing anime film I hadn't actually expected this to even make this list. So I guess this is actually good. This is definitely one of the saddest films ever with 2 of the most realistic characters ever in an animated film (apart from Shizuku Tsukishima from Whisper pf the heart). I remember seeing this film for the first fime late at night. I saw the whole film, silently, without crying. It ended, the credits started rolling, with a sad song playing in the background. I listened to it for a minute or two, reawtched the first few minutes of the film till where the flashback starts, closed the TV and instantly went to sleep. Next morning I woke up and I started crying, just crying on and on. I cry very rarely so this was really just another thing for me. I just couldn't stop crying. Again and again, images and scenes from the film kept flashing before my eyes, especially the scene showing what Setsuko must have been doing when Seita was out woth beaitiful music playing in the background. The innocent playings of a little girl who had to suffer and go through what no such child should. The film was really a heart-breaker. Especially if you rewatch the first 4-5 minutes of the film after ending it. I can guarantee they would be one of the saddest movie moments of your life. Edited by Infernus
  • Like 1

1st - Jar Jar Binks - Star Wars 1-3 - Ahmed Best

236pts - 10 Votes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWL-kS9QAQU

The most beloved member of the Star War universe takes his deserved place at the top of our list.

Be it his great one liners, hilarious antics or general inportance to the plot, this heroic Gungan warlord changed the face of Star Wars forever. When people think episode 1-3, their mind almost always turns to Jar jar, that was his lasting effect on the world of cinema.

He will never be bettered, never be beaten, never be forgotton.  

Jar Jar Binks is legitimately amazing. Truly the beloved mascot of The Star Wars franchise. 

BTW, good one, ha, ha!

Edited by Insidearcher
  • Like 1

Yeah,

I think it's safe to assume that the winner was Vader. Points and votes above are correct, just not the name.

In gwangju for a few days at present so can post full lists etc when I return back to home.

• Like 1