abra

Thursday PP2 3.9, MMFR 3.7, AOU 2.4

PP2 3.9,MMFR 3.7,AOU 2.4

Daily Domestic Gross Thu, May. 21 2015

1 Pitch Perfect 2 $3,908,850 1% 3,473 -- $1,125 $87,486,595 1 Universal

2 Furious 7 $256,280 4% 2,238 -766 $115 $344,889,185 7 Universal

3 Ex Machina $213,940 -12% 1,718 -286 $125 $20,571,071 6 A24

4 Home (2015) $197,678 20% 2,006 -489 $99 $166,314,929 8 Fox / DreamWorks Animation

Memorial Day weekend hopes to end with a bang as Disney’s sci-fi adventure Tomorrowland opened at 7 PM last night in previews on only 710 screens (no numbers available yet) while Fox’s PG-13 horror film Poltergeist scared in a very strong $1.4M on previews starting at 8 PM on around 2,500 dates.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/tomorrowland-poltergeist-1-4m-box-office-thursday-1201431354/

UPDATE, Friday 7:52 AM:

Disney just reported for Tomorrowland with $725K from its limited run in what they’ve been calling 701 “premium/palace locations” (which means IMAX and PLF screens) with a nice $1,077 per screen average. Had they played the film on a greater number of screens — in the 2,500 to 3,000 range — they would have ended up with a nice Thursday preview in the millions of dollars. But they didn’t. So the if-they-had scenarios ($2.7M to $3.2M is being tossed around) didn’t happen.

We were looking at Interstellar ($47.5M for the three-day) as a possible comp, but that one opened to a per screen of $5,400 taking in $1.35M on 249 screens when it debuted on a Wednesday. Big difference? Tomorrowland is clearly more of a kids’ film. So, let’s look at Epic instead. That one took in $9.3M on Friday $9.3M with a 3-day gross of $33.5M and a 4-day take of $42.6M when it opened in May of 2013. We expect Tomorrowland to end the weekend above $50M as they are off to a solid start with this nicely done film and the only true family film out there right now.

Edited by abra

If it follows Godzilla jumps it'll do 31m 4-day. With Star Trek Into Darkness jumps it does 35m 4-day. Looking towards the latter, definitely (Trek's weekday drops, while harsher, are more comparable). 

AOU with 2.4M is about the same hold as Wednesday.. Pretty good for all the lackluster crap comments it's received for the last 3 weeks.. If you read World of KJ, They've pretty well have written the movie off.. Never thought a movie that's made 1 Billion Dollars WW would be deemed lackluster, but whatever.. That's Retard Logic 101 for ya..

Still 8-10% above IM3 as it has done since OW.

AOU with 2.4M is about the same hold as Wednesday.. Pretty good for all the lackluster crap comments it's received for the last 3 weeks.. If you read World of KJ, They've pretty well have written the movie off.. Never thought a movie that's made 1 Billion Dollars WW would be deemed lackluster, but whatever.. That's Retard Logic 101 for ya..

Its retarded that a lackluster movie make 1b

I would rather pay for a  dozen other movies at the theater than watch this POS at home for free

• Like 1

I would rather pay for a  dozen other movies at the theater than watch this POS at home for free

I think people feel that way about more than half of the 21 films to earn $1B+ WW.

On another note, is Ultron expected to pass Iron Man Three WW over the extended holiday weekend?

I think people feel that way about more than half of the 21 films to earn $1B+ WW.

On another note, is Ultron expected to pass Iron Man Three WW over the extended holiday weekend?

with ease.  china will make over 40m for the week

Too bad you didn't like AOU. I've seen it 3 times so far and enjoyed it a little more each time.  Everyone I know who liked the first at least found this one tolerable, if a bit disappointing.  Did Joss kick your dog or something?

Will be interesting to see if it can eventually sneak by Furious 7 WW...

• Like 1

Too bad you didn't like AOU. I've seen it 3 times so far and enjoyed it a little more each time.  Everyone I know who liked the first at least found this one tolerable, if a bit disappointing.  Did Joss kick your dog or something?

I don't think that's gonna happen. AoU looks like it'll end up with $1.4-1.45 billion WW, which won't be enough.

• Like 1

Zero chance for it to cross FF7. AOU might not even reach the 1.4 mark WW.

• Like 2

AOU just isn't very interesting. I certainly wouldn't pay to see it more than once.

I really liked it and I still wouldn't pay to see it more than once.

I probably like it more than both of you, but even I have to say that it's not as rewatchable as say the first Avengers or GOTG.