kayumanggi

Weekend Estimates (4-day): TL 41.7 M | PP II 38.5 M | MM: FR 32.1 M | A:AOU 27.8 M | POLTERGEIST 26.5 M

Keith can't even update Far From the Madding Crowd's theater count, lol. What the fuck's happening to BOM...

Ah, fuck. I checked before doing my week 4 that Madding Crowd wasn't expanding... grrrr.

So if Pitch Perfect 2 wins this weekend that means that Universal has had 8 weeks so far this year

With these Friday numbers how would PP2 win the weekend?

I still think Max could do something like 32m for the four-day. Shame its legs don't seem to be as promising as weekdays suggested but 150m should still fall.

Really bad Fridays all around. Could just be a depressed frame (Memorial Day is such a crapshoot) or we could see big Saturday recoveries but history shows that yesterday just kind of sucked. Avengers held as well as IM3 despite the openers combining to make a *third* of what the Memorial Day 2013 openers made.

Tomorrowland is potentially the summer's bomb. Probably won't make 100m. Yeesh.

Edited by Gopher

Amazing for P2. 

But...why such a small Friday increase for MM? I know it's an R release but still...

It skews older (half over 35+) so matinee attendance wasn't overly affected during school days and nights weren't affected as much by the need to do homework. :P

Edited by TalismanRing

I still think Max could do something like 32m for the four-day. Shame its legs don't seem to be as promising as weekdays suggested but 150m should still fall.

Really bad Fridays all around. Could just be a depressed frame (Memorial Day is such a crapshoot) or we could see big Saturday recoveries but history shows that yesterday just kind of sucked. Avengers held as well as IM3 despite the openers combining to make a *third* of what the Memorial Day 2013 openers made.

Tomorrowland is potentially the summer's bomb. Probably won't make 100m. Yeesh.

Won't make 100M? It's a family film, it will get 3x+ multi.

You know what's bugging me? Deadline's article says that Tomorrowland is supposed to skew heavily towards females like PP2. I'm expecting it to look more like Avengers than anything else, demographic-wise.

I thought most Disney films skew higher female numbers than male numbers. But it's not going to be 75% or whatever PP2 had  :lol:

You know what's bugging me? Deadline's article says that Tomorrowland is supposed to skew heavily towards females like PP2. I'm expecting it to look more like Avengers than anything else, demographic-wise.

The main lead is a young woman isn't it and they haven't hidden in that in the TV spots.  I think it will probably be more 50/50 and family skewing.

Who cares? The multiplier is what matters, not a Flixster score. And guess what? Tomorrowland has been out a day. We have no idea where the multiplier will end up. 

Let the box office talk.

I just said that members of the auds isn't liking the film based on the Flixster score. I am also aware that the movie has just been released. It is bound to get a good multiplier since it's not a sequel and generally not frontloaded. However, even if we give the movie a multiplier of 4 (which I doubt), it will just make 130 M from a budget of 190 M. Now maybe overseas can save this, but apparently early overseas numbers aren't really exciting either. With JURASSIC WORLD and INSIDE OUT on the horizon, the future looks murky in TOMORROWLAND.

Mad Max is compelling, and it's one of my favorites this year so far, but I wouldn't call it deep. The closest to "deep" I've seen in a blockbuster is The Dark Knight. 

tiUJUA2.gif

• Like 2

The life cycle of a Pixar director. Make critically and commercially acclaimed movies -> Disney gives you a 200M budget for your dream project -> Bomb -> Make sequels to your acclaimed Pixar movies

Pete Docter has always been my favourite and he is still pure. feels good. especially with that early inside out reception.

• Like 3

The gf said she wanted to see Tomorrowland tonight and I told her I had no interest in seeing it

So we're seeing Tomorrowland tonight

• Like 27

despite the amazing reviews i guess we're seeing the effects of mad max being even more niche than expected: its audience is hardcore action fans and feminists, doesn't get much more niche than that lol

That Mad Max increase sucks. It's the best movie currently in theaters.

Memorial day is a more family oriented weekend and I expect that Mad Max will hold up quite well next weekend and onwards. There is also a precedent of extremely well received films having standard drops on their second weekend followed by very good legs.