kayumanggi

Weekend Estimates (4-day): TL 41.7 M | PP II 38.5 M | MM: FR 32.1 M | A:AOU 27.8 M | POLTERGEIST 26.5 M

I think you and I just define "deep" differently. All of these movies you've listed are absolutely layered, inventive, thoughtful films with something on their mind other than soulless action, particularly Lego Movie. But with the exception of the latter, they're not "deep." I reserve that term for another level of filmmaking. Think There Will Be Blood or No Country for Old Men. 

AND THE DARK KNIGHT.

• Like 1

The LEGO Movie is unquestionably a thoughtful, layered film, but as much as I enjoy Edge of Tomorrow, I didn't see it as much more of a well-made action flick.

See, you can look at it as a well-made action flick, but if you really want to look into it, I think there's some really interesting themes in there. Kinda like Fury Road in a way, even though Fury Road is much better than it.

Speaking of which, I wish Fury Road was doing better but hey, it's still doing way better than my predict a few months ago

I think you and I just define "deep" differently. All of these movies you've listed are absolutely layered, inventive, thoughtful films with something on their mind other than soulless action, particularly Lego Movie. But with the exception of the latter, they're not "deep." I reserve that term for another level of filmmaking. Think There Will Be Blood or No Country for Old Men. 

So overrated, pretentious films? ;)

I kid, I guess we have different opinions of the word. It's copacetic; I just prefer to be optimistic on the current film output in Hollywood, and I personally feel like putting the smaller films up on an intentionally higher level is a bad idea for looking at the current film industry. :)

So overrated, pretentious films? ;)

I kid, I guess we have different opinions of the word. It's copacetic; I just prefer to be optimistic on the current film output in Hollywood, and I personally feel like putting the smaller films up on an intentionally higher level is a bad idea for looking at the current film industry. :)

But if someone feels that most of the best films they've seen happen to be smaller films rather than blockbusters, what's wrong with that?

Also, my sister and I just realized that one of our best friend's cousins is in Tomorrowland. Not a big role of course, but

at the end when all those people find the pins, she's the dancer that finds it on her shoe's lace.

• Like 1

I wouldn't exactly call TDK deep. It's interesting but Nolan pretty much lays out everything he wants to say in the movie's dialogue

And I love TDK, not trying to hate

• Like 1

The gf said she wanted to see Tomorrowland tonight and I told her I had no interest in seeing it

So we're seeing Tomorrowland tonight

You have channeled your inner despair to your avatar

• Like 1

But if someone feels that most of the best films they've seen happen to be smaller films rather than blockbusters, what's wrong with that?

Nothing's wrong with it, three of my top four films last year were the smaller films. What I think is bad is when people declare that blockbusters are killing the art of cinema, when in fact the smaller film ratio of good to bad films is pretty much on the same level as the blockbuster ratio

I wouldn't exactly call TDK deep. It's interesting but Nolan pretty much lays out everything he wants to say in the movie's dialogue

And I love TDK, not trying to hate

I agree; I mean Birdman kinda does the same though

I still think Max could do something like 32m for the four-day. Shame its legs don't seem to be as promising as weekdays suggested but 150m should still fall.

Really bad Fridays all around. Could just be a depressed frame (Memorial Day is such a crapshoot) or we could see big Saturday recoveries but history shows that yesterday just kind of sucked. Avengers held as well as IM3 despite the openers combining to make a *third* of what the Memorial Day 2013 openers made.

Tomorrowland is potentially the summer's bomb. Probably won't make 100m. Yeesh.

It's not shocking. Clooney = never been a BO draw. No matter what his friends in Hollywood declaring him the King in Hollywood. 

190+m budget? 

• Like 2

BOM didn't have Far from the Madding increasing theaters as of Thursday evening.

That's some bullshit right there.

Yup. The BSG question about any film in top 10 increasing, the Home top 10 question, and the 8/9/12 places are gonna be screwed up for a lot of people's answers.

BOM really needs to hire a new guy. I'm sure they will but they seem like they're taking way too long :P

Edited by tree - we're home