kayumanggi

Weekend Estimates (4-day): TL 41.7 M | PP II 38.5 M | MM: FR 32.1 M | A:AOU 27.8 M | POLTERGEIST 26.5 M

BOM's gone. 

I was so disappointed when the forums were wiped away. So many fucking threads I wish I could go back and read...but whatever. And they didn't even warn any of the members.

But yea, the site's going down. 

Wow, pretty sad that there isn't even an update today.  

I'm reasonably sure that BOM's data is their own IP... meaning they could take legal action against straight-up ripping it.

Make a few small changes, starting with TF2 and TF4 opening weekend numbers  ;)

I'm reasonably sure that BOM's data is their own IP... meaning they could take legal action against straight-up ripping it.

Archive.org has been screen shorting websites for the past 20 years, I'm pretty sure BOM is no different. Unless the certain page uses a robots exclusion protocol, it's perfectly legal.

Archive.org has been screen shorting websites for the past 20 years, I'm pretty sure BOM is no different. Unless the certain page uses a robots exclusion protocol, it's perfectly legal.

Like the forums. :(

Other sites have box office numbers, some existed before BOM and have extensive archives. Obviously, it would be unwise to shout from the rooftops about ripping BOM data, but how is there a copyright on presenting the numbers in a user-friendly way?

• Like 1

Just read the BOM article when I got home and cringed the entire time while reading it. This guy really thinks AOU is going to outgross F7?!? The only thing that site is good for now is for checking data for old films. What a joke.

Everyone on here should just do their own Weekend Write-up, see how many of ours are better than BOM's.

Well I'm trying to start one using the sites blog feature, just don't always have the time to do write-ups.

Just think if BOT became the new BOM.

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 1

Well I'm trying to start one using the sites blog feature, just don't always have the time to do write-ups.

I've been doing one on a blog for the past few weeks, but I really rushed this weekends' kinda been busy today.

Weekend Box Office: Is Tomorrowland Really a “Winner”?
Posted on May 24, 2015by dajk99

In what has become the slowest Memorial Day weekend since 2001, Tomorrowland edged out stiff competition from Pitch Perfect 2, Mad Max Fury Road, and Poltergeist to take the #1 spot at the North American box office. But with “just” a $40 million 4-day debut, and a $190+ million budget, is it really a winner for Disney and Brad Bird?

Tomorrowland opened to the likes of $32.2 million for the traditional 3-day weekend, which is only a hair above notorious 2012 Disney mega-bomb John Carter. With Monday being a holiday in the States, Sunday offered nicer holds than usual, as it was able to play like a typical Saturday. With $40.7 in the bank (according to Disney estimates) by Monday night, Tomorrowland is not far away from being called an outright bomb.

While I enjoyed the movie, critics and audiences weren’t as kind (49% on Rotten Tomatoes as well as a lukewarm “B” CinemaScore). This mixed word-of-mouth, combined with the lack of huge buzz for the film held it back from putting up stronger numbers. I am not ashamed to say that I over-predicted the film, as I thought the combined power of star George Clooney as well as director Brad Bird would be enough to entice audiences. But I learned my lesson this weekend; that Bird is not yet a draw for audiences, and even mega stars like Clooney will have trouble these days pulling in big numbers for a film all by themselves. Audiences need more than just a recognizable face in the cast.

With this mixed word-of-mouth, it’s hard to image Tomorrowland making much more than $105 million domestic total. And considering overseas hasn’t been particularly strong to far (less than $30M in over 60 markets), there’s a very good chance Tomorrowland doesn’t make it to that $400 million threshold it would require to break even.

Coming in second place was last weekend’s smash hit sequel Pitch Perfect 2, which fell a harsh but understandable 56% to gross $30.3 million for the Friday-to-Sunday period ($37.9 million including Monday). The bellas are continuing to prove their popularity with audiences, as people keep showing up for this sequel. It has already grossed $117 million stateside, and will continue to put up nice numbers in the weeks to come, eventually flirting with $175M total (and dare I say $200 million?). Worldwide, the musical comedy is at $179 million, and will have no problem crushing $300M. Not bad at all for a picture produced for a “mere” $30 million.

Third place belonged to the long-awaited sequel/reboot Mad Max Fury Road, which rode on critical acclaim and excellent Word-of-Mouth to a second weekend of $23.9 million (no word on 4-day estimates, but probably around $29-30M). The George Miller film is already at $87 million in North America and $211 million Worldwide (add on about $6M to that total if you want to include Monday). It hasn’t broken even yet, as the movie cost upwards of $150 million to produce, but expect it to get there eventually. Fury Road I looking to finish with $125-$140 in North America, and over $350M worldwide.

Fox’s horror remake Poltergeist opened in 4th place with a respectable $23 million 3-day and $28.2 million 4-day take. That’s the biggest horror opening since last October’s Annabelle, beating out Ouija’s $19M debut. The pic was fairly inexpensive to produce ($35M, although that could be considered a lot for a horror flick), so expect Fox to make a few bucks when all is said and done. Poor word-of-mouth (C+ CinemaScore) could cause the movie to fall apart in coming weeks, but even with a $60M total, Fox would be happy. Overseas numbers are strong so far, so expect Poltergeist to exceed $100 million worldwide.

Rounding out the top 5 is Avengers: Age of Ultron, taking in $26.8 million over the long weekend. That brings the movie’s total to a staggering $410M total after Monday, and still looking to finish in the vicinity of $445-$460 million. While domestically, Age of Ultron hasn’t been able to exceed 2012’s The Avengers, overseas is another story. Internationally, the superhero team is at $859 million ($1.269 billion worldwide). So within a few more days, Age of Ultron will have surpassed the $888M international take of the first Avengers flick. On the all time chart, Age of Ultron ranks #7 worldwide, and will become #6 very soon once it passes Frozen.

And that’s it for this weekend! I didn’t get to review Poltergeist as I had hoped, but I’m still hoping to (maybe) see it at some point next week. Other than that, join me next week for my forecast for The Rock’s disaster pic San Andreas, as well as the Cameron Crowe film Aloha. And check out my review for Tomorrowland at (insert name of my blog).

• Like 8