kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

https://deadline.com/2018/07/mamma-mia-here-we-go-again-equalizer-2-weekend-box-office-1202428517/

Skyscraperwhich should drop 50% this weekend between $12M-$13M, and ahead of Paramount’s Mission: Impossible – Fallout, which is poised to reap a $60M-plus opening.

still in 60m range, surprised Paramount is not doing early previews than 7pm given the length

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 7/17/2018 at 5:50 PM, Barnack said:

That what I challenge, you say most critics consider Dark Knight better than Lords of the Rings, I am asking you base that on what ?

If the different critics aggregate method (you it be counting critics top 10 type of list with they shoot movie don't they method or scoring average like metacritic) show that it is the other way around and you do not believe them, can you at least offer an argument ? What else is there ?

The problem with your thesis is that you've simply used statistics without any context.

1. They Shoot Pictures 21-st century list.

The Dark Knight is currently 77-th

Lord of the Rings 1 is currently 61-th

Lord of the Rings 2 is currently 129-th

Lord of the Rings 3 is currently 70-th 

What you've curiously omitted is that The Dark Knight has been climbing the list for 5 straight years, with it's ranking being 192-th in 2013 all the way to 77-th.

On the other hand, both The Two Towers and The Return of the Ring have had their lowest ranking ever in this year's edition, falling down the list year after year, while Fellowship of the Ring is at it's second worst ranking. At one point Return of the King was ranked 15-th, while Fellowship of the Ring was ranked 18-th.

The more new lists and polls are added, the further the films are falling down while the reverse is true for The Dark Knight. The films had tremendous reception and acclaim when they came out and they skyrocketed at the top of the list. 

BBC's 2016 ''21th Centurys 100 Greatest Films'' poll which polled 177 critics from around the world, placed The Dark Knight at 33. No LOTR films made the Top 100.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160819-the-21st-centurys-100-greatest-films?ocid=twcul

2. Metacritic's rankings are completely meaningless in any long term evaluation of films. The rankings are prisoner of the moment. Dunkirk had the initial 94 at MC, and yet at the end of the year critics top 10 lists, it was Get Out that was the obvious critics favorite even though the initial reviews were only 83. We're talking about only 7-8 months of re-evaluation.

Had Ratatouille been released in 2018, there's absolutely zero chance it would have 96 at Metacritic, but at particular time Pixar  was dominating the critics attention. It's MC is only a reflection of the initial opinion of the critics, nothing more, nothing less.

As far as historical acclaim, The Dark Knight is at 667-th on They Shoot Pictures All Time Greatest Films list while Spider-Man 2, Ratatouille, Shrek are not even in the Top 2000.

Fellowship of the Ring is 656th

The Two Towers is 1100th

Return of the King is 889-th

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films.htm

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_films1001-2000.htm

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Dark Samurai said:

BBC's 2016 ''21th Centurys 100 Greatest Films'' poll which polled 177 critics from around the world, placed The Dark Knight at 33. No LOTR films made the Top 100.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160819-the-21st-centurys-100-greatest-films?ocid=twcul

But that list still has a 2000s blockbuster over Dark Knight.

Lords of The rings is still above on They shoot picture it is expected for the newer movie to gain ground for a while until it stabilize, I was looking for where he could have fund that most critics put Dark Knight has the best blockbuster of the 2000s.

http://www.movie-wave.net/mission-impossible-fallout/

James Southall, a hobbyist of film music, gave Lorne Balfe's score 1/5 stars.

If Rob Hardy was an inspired choice for cinematographer, Balfe is on the other end of the spectrum for composer. The score is texture more so than melody. Which is fine in and of itself but it's also monotonous. The biggest offence IMO is how Balfe manages to reuse themes and variations from The Dark Knight. McQuarrie eschews the use of temp music effectively allowing the composer to work from a blank slate and to hear Zimmer's music being used here is baffling to me. There's a genuine argument to be made that Balfe is creatively bankrupt. That said, I don't think the score is terrible enough to detract from the film.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, zhu2 said:

http://www.movie-wave.net/mission-impossible-fallout/

James Southall, a hobbyist of film music, gave Lorne Balfe's score 1/5 stars.

If Rob Hardy was an inspired choice for cinematographer, Balfe is on the other end of the spectrum for composer. The score is texture more so than melody. Which is fine in and of itself but it's also monotonous. The biggest offence IMO is how Balfe manages to reuse themes and variations from The Dark Knight. McQuarrie eschews the use of temp music effectively allowing the composer to work from a blank slate and to hear Zimmer's music being used here is baffling to me. There's a genuine argument to be made that Balfe is creatively bankrupt. That said, I don't think the score is terrible enough to detract from the film.

So the score is bad

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I liked Joe Kraemer's score for Rogue Nation so wonder why he didn't do the score for Fallout

Since he was the 1st returning director, McQuarrie wanted Fallout to look like a different director filmed the movie to keep the trend going.

He hired a new cinematographer and fashion designer as I'm sure other jobs. That's why Balfe is doing the scoring. 

Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

This isn’t an excuse for a shitty score.

Especially when if you’re going to copy/paste another movie’s score there’s so many better scores to steal from than The Dark Knight.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Especially when if you’re going to copy/paste another movie’s score there’s so many better scores to steal from than The Dark Knight.

There's no excuse period for the score, but it's not surprising especially given that Balfe is a minion of Zimmer's. Balfe is probably one of my least liked film composer these days. I'm sure he's an okay enough guy, but he's basically the go to replacement composer if you want bland safe Zimmerish music that doesn't stand out.

It's even worse when you consider that Kraemer wasn't even told until late in the game that he wouldn't be returning, and then they replaced with him Balfe, simply because McQuarrie wanted the film to be like and sound like The Dark Knight, and that's only half the story if inside sources are to be believed.

BTW I listened to some of the score earlier. It's really bland monotonous stuff that just drags on and on, and the final track features Schifrin's classic theme backed up by epic choirs (if there's ever any theme that didn't need choirs, it's The Mission Impossible theme). :sick:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's even worse when you consider that Kraemer wasn't even told until late in the game that he wouldn't be returning, and then they replaced with him Balfe, simply because McQuarrie wanted the film to be like and sound like The Dark Knight, and that's only half the story if inside sources are to be believed.

Balfe was hired from the beginning and so he cannot be considered a replacement. Kraemer was fully aware someone else had been hired from the beginning. He emailed someone involved with the production to get confirmation after the first trailer and tweeted the response. McQuarrie has never claimed TDK as an influence on Fallout. I hope your inside sources aren't forum posts.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:15 AM, AJG said:

It’s pretty much The Dark Knight score. The whole thing is just the Dark Knight on repeat.

I wouldn't know what a Dark Knight sounds like, so its all good.