kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

7 hours ago, Jessie said:

It's as if people think "Well critics said it's the best action movie so it must be". Guess what guys, critics can be wrong

Not sure would that even mean.

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

IRL I know one guy who disliked it because "there was no story", which, I didn't even know what to say to that. Can some people not do action movies anymore unless they're 150-minute long endurance tests with lots of exposition and speechifying and twists shoved in between, y'know, the action? How can you not see story in everything there is on screen in FR? It's so strange to me.

That probably why Hollywood make so little actual action movies or much close to pure visual storytelling, Gravity is just someone turning around the earth, Fury Road just a back and forth car chase, Raging Bull is an asshole protagonist without any arc without much happening, etc...

Look like saying actual description of a movie if they were criticism of them. The lack of narrative making a movie a bad one or cannot be good because of it make very little sense, who listen to 

And say after hear, that a bad song nothing even happen in it, there is no story told in that song ? Have you ever heard anyone say that about music ? Why about a movie ?

Fury Road world building is dense, the religions, cultural element of the cast system and sub-culture in that world, the strange economics and they all make it possible for an audience to built an interpretation of the real world into them, with some strong commenting by them and it is a Cirque du Soleil show on screen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jessie said:

It's a divisive movie to most people. That's why it's strange that the tittle says "best action movie since fury road" as 50% of people will not find much hope in that

It's as if people think "Well critics said it's the best action movie so it must be". Guess what guys, critics can be wrong

I remember being hyped for it, got 5 of my mates to come watch it and by the end of the film i was ridiculed for wasting their time with my shitty movie taste and I couldn't even argue otherwise 😂

I was constantly wondering what the hell did they all eat & who would really want to live in that barren landscape.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Barnack said:

Look like saying actual description of a movie if they were criticism of them. The lack of narrative making a movie a bad one or cannot be good because of it make very little sense, who listen to 

And say after hear, that a bad song nothing even happen in it, there is no story told in that song ? Have you ever heard anyone say that about music ? Why about a movie ?

I mean it depends on whether a work is supposed to have a narrative or not. Fury Road obviously does, it just tries to be as efficient with it as possible. An openly experimental, surreal etc. film doesn't need to have a narrative (certainly not one that's remotely conventional) but it needs to substitute something else for it in order to be meaningful/successful

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

This movie delivered completely but did anyone thing that a piece of score they played a lot sounded exactly like that music they played in the beginning of the opening scene of The Dark Knight Rises?

I think everyone did.

• Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

This movie delivered completely but did anyone thing that a piece of score they played a lot sounded exactly like that music they played in the beginning of the opening scene of The Dark Knight Rises?

It was pretty noticeable especially at the start but I eventually got used to it and stopped noticing.

Balfe's score isn't half bad. Listening to it in the context of the film helps you appreciate it more. It's designed to function from scene to scene, moment to moment in the film rather than in isolation. There are tracks that crib from TDKR but at the same time there's still a liberal amount of Schifrin's iconic themes weaved throughout.

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

2021- MI7 (25th Anniversary, Closes out Chris M Trilogy)

2024 -MI New (Semi Reboot where Ethan passes the torch)

If Rogue Nation serves as an exploration of Ilsa Faust, Fallout serves as an exploration of Ethan Hunt. What would McQ explore with a third film? A trilogy sounds swell in theory but it's time for some new blood. And I get the impression Cruise is never going to pass the torch as long as he lives.

1 hour ago, zhu2 said:

I get the impression Cruise is never going to pass the torch as long as he lives.

If Cruise keeps putting in the kind of effort he put into Fallout, I'll be paying to watch him chase baddies in wheelchairs, IDGAF.

https://variety.com/2018/film/box-office/mission-impossible-fallout-box-office-profit-1202892628/

"With a $178 million production budget and a promotional and distribution price tag that hovers around $150 million, sources close to the studio  and at rival companies estimate that the sixth installment in the spy franchise will need to pull in $560 million in order to get into the black. Some competitors think the figure that “Mission: Impossible” needs to make is even higher, approaching the $650 million range. "

Edited by Macleod

3 minutes ago, Macleod said:

https://variety.com/2018/film/box-office/mission-impossible-fallout-box-office-profit-1202892628/

"With a $178 million production budget and a promotional and distribution price tag that hovers around $150 million, sources close to the studio  and at rival companies estimate that the sixth installment in the spy franchise will need to pull in $560 million in order to get into the black. Some competitors think the figure that “Mission: Impossible” needs to make is even higher, approaching the $650 million range. "

should make at least 650M WW. It's tracking for 220M dom and OS run is healthy enough for 430M. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

should make at least 650M WW. It's tracking for 220M dom and OS run is healthy enough for 430M. 

Making $30M-$50M profit on such a big investment is not that great. I think the next one will have a lower budget ($150M-ish).

I can't help but feel kind of bad for everyone involved here. Everyone went balls to the wall on putting in the effort on this from McQ to Cruise to Paramount's marketing team and in the end it could just barely end up paying off for them. Really annoying, this shouldn't have to struggle to a profit like that. 

• Like 1

On August 2, 2018 at 9:51 AM, KJsooner said:

Fury Road is not divisive, I don’t know where you guys are getting that. It’s largely liked by the GA and critics. I’m not the biggest fan of the movie, but it’s not divisive.

Leave it to BOF to call something like Fury Road divisive.  Some people here clearly don't know what a divisive movie is.  "Oh, I didn't like this movie as much as most people did so its divisive".   Durp.

• Like 5