kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

Is Cruise really still "extremely controversial?" I don't know, he seems much, much more tame now. I took both of my parents to Fallout and they never said "idk about seeing a Cruise movie", "I don't want to support him." And these are the same parents that initially wouldn't let me watch Harry Potter because of witchcraft.

IDK, I'm just speaking for myself, but I feel like yall are overblowing the "Tom is still very toxic" narrative. He hasn't done anything publically weird in forever. Easy to forget he was even married to Katie Holmes. I'm sure when Top Gun comes out next year, gen X - the generation he probably alienates the most - will be super excited.

And personally, regardless of his personal life, 5 of the last 6 Cruise movies I've seen - Fallout, AM, EOT, MI:RN, MI:GP, Oblivion - I've enjoyed very much. Oblivion wasn't really his fault, was just super boring. He is still a rare type of movie star and I think audiences understand that. It's either Cruise, or some screaming tween youtuber. Take your pick.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don't think Cruise carries much of a stigma anymore bc of his personal life. Any box office ceiling for his films is far more likely to be due to  younger audiences under 30 not being into him since the dude is approaching 60 after all. 

RDJ is 3 year younger than Cruise.

Somewhat complicated storyline/characthers in many old movies is probably a strong source of resistance.

27 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Is Cruise really still "extremely controversial?" I don't know, he seems much, much more tame now. I took both of my parents to Fallout and they never said "idk about seeing a Cruise movie", "I don't want to support him." And these are the same parents that initially wouldn't let me watch Harry Potter because of witchcraft.

IDK, I'm just speaking for myself, but I feel like yall are overblowing the "Tom is still very toxic" narrative. He hasn't done anything publically weird in forever. Easy to forget he was even married to Katie Holmes. I'm sure when Top Gun comes out next year, gen X - the generation he probably alienates the most - will be super excited.

And personally, regardless of his personal life, 5 of the last 6 Cruise movies I've seen - Fallout, AM, EOT, MI:RN, MI:GP, Oblivion - I've enjoyed very much. Oblivion wasn't really his fault, was just super boring. He is still a rare type of movie star and I think audiences understand that. It's either Cruise, or some screaming tween youtuber. Take your pick.

Have no more likes but I totally agree with everything you said.  BTW who is that cute little baby?

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don't think Cruise carries much of a stigma anymore bc of his personal life. Any box office ceiling for his films is far more likely to be due to  younger audiences under 30 not being into him since the dude is approaching 60 after all. 

1 hour ago, Jandrew said:

Really?  I'm not sure what you guys are looking at, but yeah any mention of Cruise on social media will bring out the "he has slaves" crowd. It's an issue and no, it isn't going to go away. I am relatively sure it is why his films don't "blow up" at the box office, but even still, his films do very well. That's impressive to me.

He has done well to keep quiet. It has certainly helped.

3 hours ago, divinity83 said:

Really?  I'm not sure what you guys are looking at, but yeah any mention of Cruise on social media will bring out the "he has slaves" crowd. It's an issue and no, it isn't going to go away.

That not that interesting of a metric, it is probably less 1 million mention ? Anything can be seen has an issue by the social media reaction angle.

If we would take 1,000 random movie goers in the domestic market and ask them about Tom Cruise view that would give us a much better view.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

That not that interesting of a metric, it is probably less 1 million mention ? Anything can be seen has an issue by the social media reaction angle.

If we would take 1,000 random movie goers in the domestic market and ask them about Tom Cruise view that would give us a much better view.

I am 100% sure the box office return would be higher if Cruise wasn't in Scientology, but you're right I have no proof.

Edited by divinity83

6 hours ago, divinity83 said:

Really?  I'm not sure what you guys are looking at, but yeah any mention of Cruise on social media will bring out the "he has slaves" crowd. It's an issue and no, it isn't going to go away. I am relatively sure it is why his films don't "blow up" at the box office, but even still, his films do very well. That's impressive to me.

No they don't. His biggest following is Gen X, and they don't flood social media like millenials and gen Z do. His movies aren't "blowing up" like they used to because we're in a new box office era. The Rock is the #1 star of this new era and outside of Jumanji, his movies aren't blowing up either. Skyscraper isn't even going to outgross Mummy....so a Cruise-centric movie with an awful RT score and awful audience score is going to beat a Rock-centric movie with a below average RT score and good audience score. But Tom is so toxic right?

Tom is fine. Yall overblow the narrative. Plenty of actors and actresses from as recent as 5 years ago don't get leading work anymore, for no real reason, yet Tom is still able to just chug along...because he's seen in a much better light now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, divinity83 said:

I am 100% sure the box office return would be higher if Cruise wasn't in Scientology, but you're right I have no proof.

That is almost certain (specially if they are not enough Scientology buying ton of ticket to compensate) or at least without is 2005 PR year's...

But is it a significant impact, say more than 5% or just a small one.

19 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

No they don't. His biggest following is Gen X, and they don't flood social media like millenials and gen Z do. His movies aren't "blowing up" like they used to because we're in a new box office era. The Rock is the #1 star of this new era and outside of Jumanji, his movies aren't blowing up either. Skyscraper isn't even going to outgross Mummy....so a Cruise-centric movie with an awful RT score and awful audience score is going to beat a Rock-centric movie with a below average RT score and good audience score. But Tom is so toxic right?

Tom is fine. Yall overblow the narrative. Plenty of actors and actresses from as recent as 5 years ago don't get leading work anymore, for no real reason, yet Tom is still able to just chug along...because he's seen in a much better light now.

That's the truth - you wouldn't catch me or anyone I know who is my age (2 years younger than Cruise) flooding social media - actually we tend to get quite annoyed with it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Catty said:

That's the truth - you wouldn't catch me or anyone I know who is my age (2 years younger than Cruise) flooding social media - actually we tend to get quite annoyed with it.

Really? Because the last two years, I grew annoyed how baby boomers, gen X and early millenials (born early eighties) would massively rely and share the most asinine memes and conspirationist fake news on Facebook (when they're not flooding FB with stupid copy/pasted "inspirational quotes" to cope with their midlife crisis) without even reading it or fact checking it. They're also prone to comment everything clickbaity on public for everyone to see. I'd say Facebook is still holding on because of that generation as the younger ones moved to Instagram and Snapshat.

Edited by dashrendar44

12 hours ago, Barnack said:

It's pretty obvious scientology had an impact. His movies underperformed the moment he went on Oprah' s show and acted batshit crazy

33 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Really? Because the last two years, I grew annoyed how baby boomers, gen X and early millenials (born early eighties) would massively rely and share the most asinine memes and conspirationist fake news on Facebook (when they're not flooding FB with stupid copy/pasted "inspirational quotes" to cope with their midlife crisis) without even reading it or fact checking it. They're also prone to comment everything clickbaity on public for everyone to see. I'd say Facebook is still holding on because of that generation as the younger ones moved to Instagram and Snapshat.

So true. Facebook is filled with middle ages users writing comments to seek attention

10 hours ago, Catty said:

Social media has become toxic.

I'm convinced it's one cog in the "what's wrong with humanity" question that keeps getting asked.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jandrew said:

Is Scientology really even much weirder than other religions?

Tom's the man.

• Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

Really? Because the last two years, I grew annoyed how baby boomers, gen X and early millenials (born early eighties) would massively rely and share the most asinine memes and conspirationist fake news on Facebook

Yes they use social media for politics, my point was they don't use it to gossip about Tom, or other celebrities. That is what millennials and gen Z do. 40 years old weren't throwing out their hot takes about Demi Lovato the other week. Tom is not toxic on social media. 

Search Tom Cruise on Twitter right now and you'll see a bunch of A. "Fallout was awesome", B. Cruise is always running memes, or C. "why doesn't this man age." No "Tom is illuminati don't support his movies, he's straight nuts, I hate him!!!"...which is what some here is acting like is happening.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2