kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

5 hours ago, Jessie said:

It's pretty obvious scientology had an impact. His movies underperformed the moment he went on Oprah' s show and acted batshit crazy

Cruise was in Scientology decades before that, yes Oprah show had an impact and had one at least for 5 year's, is it still a significant one too is the question.

Cruise and Mission Impossible have an older fanbase than other franchises. They're more likely to just judge a movie based on reviews and WOM/buzz rather than whatever the trendy problematic thing is on twitter at the moment. That's why I don't see Cruise being that big of an issue. Not that much of the social media / outrage generation was going to see these movies anyways.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

Really? Because the last two years, I grew annoyed how baby boomers, gen X and early millenials (born early eighties) would massively rely and share the most asinine memes and conspirationist fake news on Facebook (when they're not flooding FB with stupid copy/pasted "inspirational quotes" to cope with their midlife crisis) without even reading it or fact checking it. They're also prone to comment everything clickbaity on public for everyone to see. I'd say Facebook is still holding on because of that generation as the younger ones moved to Instagram and Snapshat.

Yeah Really!  Yes some people my age are prone to do that - annoys me too but don't act like people younger than me aren't fools too.  Also annoys me how younger generations are constantly outraged by anything anybody says or does on a daily basis & how they have to let everybody & their mother know so it goes both ways.  I guess you should just stay off of Facebook then - me & my friends use it because we all live so far away now & keep in touch that way & no we don't post anything "inspirational" to cope with our imaginary midlife crises.  Despite what you may think we are not all stupid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not the jumping on the couch stuff from 2005 (honestly, I never got the big deal about that. I was always more impressed he jumped from a seated position onto a couch). It's the 2015 stuff with Going Clear and Leah Remini's book. Now, she has an Emmy-winning TV show exposing Scientology and it's about to begin its third season (people are watching). Leah has called Tom Cruise "evil" and "diabolical" (meanwhile she called John Travolta "a very sweet man"). She goes on all the late night TV shows promoting her book and TV show and people watch and they hear. I really feel like that has to come in play, BUT maybe you guys are right and it's a small percentage of loss.

I haven't read her book or watched her show, but I saw Going Clear. I don't know...didn't really bother me, but I can see how some people would say "never again" to a Tom Cruise film.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, divinity83 said:

Leah has called Tom Cruise "evil" and "diabolical" (meanwhile she called John Travolta "a very sweet man")

And? From everything I've heard Travolta is essentially forced to remain in the cult, while Cruise is best friends with Miscavige and actively exercises the power given to him. There is a difference. 

21 minutes ago, divinity83 said:

Now, she has an Emmy-winning TV show exposing Scientology and it's about to begin its third season (people are watching)

Never heard anyone talk about it in real life, you do not need much people watching on A&E do keep a show going on, less than 1% of the population would do.

41 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

And? From everything I've heard Travolta is essentially forced to remain in the cult, while Cruise is best friends with Miscavige and actively exercises the power given to him. There is a difference. 

And, nothing. The sentence within the context of my paragraph is clear.

14 hours ago, Barnack said:

Cruise was in Scientology decades before that, yes Oprah show had an impact and had one at least for 5 year's, is it still a significant one too is the question.

yes it is. people think he's coocoo so avoid his movies. he may have been in scientology decades before but no-one knew about it until not long after WOTW. 

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
On 8/4/2018 at 9:25 PM, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, GP adjusts to nearly 250m DOM releasing in the holiday. Wouldn't be a bad idea to try that again. 

Fallout might not be too far from that if it can keep up these holds.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, divinity83 said:

It's not the jumping on the couch stuff from 2005 (honestly, I never got the big deal about that. I was always more impressed he jumped from a seated position onto a couch). It's the 2015 stuff with Going Clear and Leah Remini's book. Now, she has an Emmy-winning TV show exposing Scientology and it's about to begin its third season (people are watching). Leah has called Tom Cruise "evil" and "diabolical" (meanwhile she called John Travolta "a very sweet man"). She goes on all the late night TV shows promoting her book and TV show and people watch and they hear. I really feel like that has to come in play, BUT maybe you guys are right and it's a small percentage of loss.

I haven't read her book or watched her show, but I saw Going Clear. I don't know...didn't really bother me, but I can see how some people would say "never again" to a Tom Cruise film.

one can also run the risk of promoting a lifestyle after being exposed (or unexposed) to it for decades.

On 8/6/2018 at 10:05 AM, Barnack said:

No one cares anymore.  He just got older, and the box office situation changed.  And yet...the Cruise Missle is still killing it.  Sure, he’s no Avengers...but best movie star out there.  I’ll stand by his crazy any day.  

• Like 2