kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

27 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

As of now they're saying 65m OW, but saying it could open in the 60-75m range. Still early but hopefully it opens closer to 75m than 60, if any franchise deserves a big opening it's Mission Impossible.

That's too much. Box office pro tend to overestimate Cruise openings. They had Rogue Nation at 71M and The mummy at 50M.

60M would be good for this

Total Film has released an excellent article in their magazine about the production of Fallout.

http://henry-cavill.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=492

A few tidbits (POSSIBLY MINOR SPOILERS):

• Angela Bassett's character is named Erica Sloan.
  • Vanessa Kirby's character was inspired by Lauren Bacall and is called the White Widow.
  • McQuarrie: "I had a strong sense [Cavill] was being underutilised. I wanted to see his dark side, and it really paid off."
  • Cruise's ankle break seemed to be more serious than reported. Doctor's recommended a minimum of nine months for recovery; he was climbing a mountain in eight weeks.
  • Fallout will be the most emotional entry in the series if they achieve their intent.
  • Cruise: "I have a lot of ideas about the next phase, about the next two or three, of where I want to go."

I believe Cruise's career post-Fallout will be a pivotal period for him and the series. MI after Fallout will not be the same. How do you top a HALO jump, climbing a sheer cliff, and multiple vehicular chases in precarious locations? And arguably the most difficult hurdle to overcome, how will the series maintain the emotional connection established from Fallout?

A few predictions:

A metacritic score of 80+ (Edgar Wright's seal of approval and Well's source have given me confidence in this prediction)

OW 70m/DOM 210M (The addition of Cavill to the cast was an ingenious idea as his audience skews younger than Cruise)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fallout should surpass Toms career best OW of 66m. It's been a long time since cruise broke his OW (WotW with 66m).

Internationally im expecting Fallout to perform better than The mummy in Europe/Asia/Africa but LA has proved to be slightly on the lower side for MI movies over the years! The Mummy did well in LA! 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still think this can surprise and do something like 80m+ on OW. The marketing has just been so good and so omnipresent ever since the Super Bowl. It's way above the marketing campaigns for any of the others, especially RN's. 

I don't know if I can predict 80mil but right now I am predicitng 60-70mil. I hope it hits 80mil though. 

• Like 1

Ironically, I think this will perform better than expected due to sequel fatigue from other genres. Call me insane. I know. I love Cruise yet despise Scientology. The conflict is real.

PS: Ghost Protocol > Dark Knight Rises

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1