kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

2 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

Seriously Gunn is the biggest draw imo.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Gunn is at least a bit of a draw. Like, I can easily see him on the marketing and on late night shows and stuff. He's gotten a lot of attention since the whole GOTG 3 drama that happened. He's probably the most loved MCU director after Taika Waititi.

7 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

Harley will still be pushed, but John and Idris will get pushed too (big runs coming off F&F). Then there James Gunn and his name will be everywhere - which will take care of any box office concern. Seriously Gunn is the biggest draw imo.

No but seriously, what has James Gunn done except directing a few MCU movies for Feige? Are Peyton Reed and the Russo brothers visionary geniuses and huge box office draws too?

Edited by MrGlass2

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Not if Mike Thernovich and his buddies have anything to say about it...

/s?

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Gunn is at least a bit of a draw. Like, I can easily see him on the marketing and on late night shows and stuff. He's gotten a lot of attention since the whole GOTG 3 drama that happened. He's probably the most loved MCU director after Taika Waititi.

Drama is good people are going to want to support him. Gunn is gonna run this marketing to perfection. The cast reveal was already a banger. He literally regenerated 40% pre-SS release hype with one tweet. I have no concerns for BO for this one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

No but seriously, what has James Gunn done except directing a few MCU movies for Feige? Are Peyton Reed and the Russo brothers visionary geniuses and huge box office draws too?

Gunn has a dedicated fanbase and is beloved. This is a popular franchise (doesn't matter if the movie sucked, people still know SS and Harley). Combine the two and you get hype for a casting reveal. Add in the fact everyone knows Gunn can fix SS, you get hype for a sequel to a bad movie.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I wish I could say that I was joking, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the alt-right types manage to successfully do everything in their power to make James Gunn’s name as toxic as possible. 

Just like Brie Larson, right? Second $1 billion R-rated DC film coming up :hahaha:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I wish I could say that I was joking, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the alt-right types manage to successfully do everything in their power to make James Gunn’s name as toxic as possible. 

Do you realize the amount of support James Gunn got online when he got fired?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Toxic is good! At least for box office *JOKER*. Now having critics attack TSS would be bad bad. But Brightburn did decent and had Gunn's name everywhere. So hopefully people like Gunn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

I like Gunn, but not convinced he is a box office draw. Damn few directors are. Nolan, Tarantino a couple of other can sell tickets. I don't think Gunn is in that category. He some name recognition, but name recognition is not the same as being a draw.

The Hitchcocks, the David Leans, .the De Milles,the directors whose name can sell a movie alone... are always few and far between.

I don't get the hype tbh

His work outside the MCU is mostly mediocre

1 hour ago, The Chad DC said:

Gunn has a dedicated fanbase and is beloved. This is a popular franchise (doesn't matter if the movie sucked, people still know SS and Harley). Combine the two and you get hype for a casting reveal. Add in the fact everyone knows Gunn can fix SS, you get hype for a sequel to a bad movie.

Yes, but I doubt the fanbase is big enough to make him a box office draw the way that Nolan and Tarantino are.

Gunn's superhero movies are far more beloved than Peyton Reed. And yes the Russos are a draw within the superhero genre. Being a draw within the genre is not the same as being a draw overall.

160k likes. The hype is real and the cast was pretty well received. Who cares the first one sucked?

>It was the 10th most profitable movie of 2016 with almost the same as Civil War (which made $405 million more in box office)

>BvS didn't even enter the list. And SS wasn't even released in China

>Oscar winner

>Soundtrack sold over 2 million copies and was nominated to the Grammies

>"Heathens" is at 1.4 billion views. 7x platinum in the US

>"Sucker for Pain" is at 650 million views. 3x platinum in the US

And there is a looot of people who considered it a guilty pleasure. I really don't see the reason to do this as RR, but I'm not worried neither.

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Yes, but I doubt the fanbase is big enough to make him a box office draw the way that Nolan and Tarantino are.

Tarantino isn't a major box office draw like Nolan, who himself is not that big of a draw post-TDK trilogy. And yeah Gunn on his own isn't a draw. But that's what the rest of my OP gets at.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:23 PM, Spidey Freak said:

Mandatory Chastain recommendation:

jessica-chastain-at-2015-national-board-

She would be good.

I still think the huge missed Poison Ivy was not casting Nicole Kidman as Ivy back in the 90's;insteasd they wasted her in that dumb role in "Batman Forever".

19 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

Tarantino isn't a major box office draw like Nolan, who himself is not that big of a draw post-TDK trilogy. And yeah Gunn on his own isn't a draw. But that's what the rest of my OP gets at.

Tarantino not a draw???????

That is ridiculous.

Just now, The Chad DC said:

*Like I said, major draw like Nolan. 425 is Quentin's highest grosser. That's nothing like Nolan.

That probably similar to what Nolan can do if he would do a movie like Django.

Tarantino is one of the biggest draw there is

WW-China / adjusted for US dollar inflation

Dunkirk: 449m / 468.3m

Django: 449.8m / 500.86m

Interstellar: 554m / 577.81m

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

That probably similar to what Nolan can do if he would do a movie like Django.

Tarantino is one of the biggest draw there is

WW-China / adjusted for US dollar inflation

Dunkirk: 449m / 468.3m

Django: 449.8m / 500.86m

Interstellar: 554m / 577.81m

Where did you get 449.8 from Django from (all I see is 425)? And you left out a pretty big film riding TDK-Nolan hype. Tarantino doesn't draw like Nolan.

Edited by The Chad DC