kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Disney seriously needs to keep their budgets from getting so high.

$200m for Jungle Cruise? Holy shit. Should have been $150m MAX.

Everybody does.

Speilberg has been saying for years studios have just gotten careless about keeping costs down because the requires some real work on the part of the directors and producers. He is convinced most films could have been made for a lot less but still look the same on the big screen. When asked how he can make a movie for 70 Million that looks likes it cost 180 Million, he says there is not great trick to it, just keep waste down. don't pad the payroll with people you don't need, and insist that people do the job they were hired to do .

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Disney seriously needs to keep their budgets from getting so high.

$200m for Jungle Cruise? Holy shit. Should have been $150m MAX.

Black Widow also cost 200M yet effects were so bad they became a meme. There's no point of such big budgets if you don't see every penny on the screen. Where does that money go anyway? Why are there cheap looking obscenely budgeted movies? 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Black Widow also cost 200M yet effects were so bad they became a meme. There's no point of such big budgets if you don't see every penny on the screen. Where does that money go anyway? Why are there cheap looking obscenely budgeted movies? 

Yeah, there was no excuse for that one shot during the climax of Black Widow. As for Jungle Cruise, if CGI costs that much more than going to shoot on location in the Amazon or another jungle...then just shoot more of it for real. 

2 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Yeah, there was no excuse for that one shot during the climax of Black Widow. As for Jungle Cruise, if CGI costs that much more than going to shoot on location in the Amazon or another jungle...then just shoot more of it for real. 

I love real locations like the next guy but I guess they also come with permit and security problems so CGI is more convenient in that regard even if it doesn't look real/good. :whosad:

38 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

You ever seen those behind the scenes shots of MCU films? Its shocking how much of it is CG/green screen.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

This post just makes me miss the first 3 POTC movies 

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 1

The prequels look a lot better to me than the third act of BW, and most modern blockbusters to be honest. There was a lot of imagination in the use of the CGI even if not technically perfect. A lot of blockbusters nowadays use CG and it looks very mundane and blah, which to me is much worse than if it looks unrealistic but awesome (Aquaman is a good modern example of the latter).

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Menor said:

The prequels look a lot better to me than the third act of BW, and most modern blockbusters to be honest. There was a lot of imagination in the use of the CGI even if not technically perfect. A lot of blockbusters nowadays use CG and it looks very mundane and blah, which to me is much worse than if it looks unrealistic but awesome (Aquaman is a good modern example of the latter).

The third act being that damn crazy is an underrated factor in Aquaman doing as well as it did. They didn't hold back on anything, just went for it full tilt.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Doubt I'd be shocked, their third acts in particular usually look like something out of the prequel trilogy.

I mean even stuff like Nick fury sitting in a chair in a normal looking bedroom and the whole room will be green screen and the gun in his hand too. Stuff that could have easily been filmed on an actual set with a prop gun.

• Like 2

When it comes to budgets, there is something to consider.  While inflation isn't the best tool to really look at budget bloat it can be a good approximation.

In 2000 dollars, a $100m movie is approximately a $160m movie.

In 2010 dollars, a $100m movie is approximately a $125m movie.

Or, to put it another way, in 2021 dollars, a $200m movie is about the same as a $125m movie back in 2000 and a $160m movie back in 2010.

Not to say there hasn't been lots and lots of bloat; there has been.  Studios could stand to use a hell of a lot more discipline than they are now.  Still, something to consider.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Just booked IMAX tickets for this on Friday night (a late showing so it’ll be fairly empty, I’m not risking Russian roulette with Delta at a busier showing), my first cinema visit since February 2020. Looking forward to it!

Every showing will be fairly empty, you’ll be fine 

• Haha 1

Pretty sure i haven't posted here since the pandemic began but i'm loving what i'm seeing from the early reviews.  That said,  what is considered a "flop" at the box office in 2021 especially for WB movies that are same day release on HBO Max. 

We know there are going to be millions of people who watch on HBO Max instead of going to theaters with Delta patrolling the streets..  

What should TSS really make under those circumstances? 

8 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Pretty sure i haven't posted here since the pandemic began but i'm loving what i'm seeing from the early reviews.  That said,  what is considered a "flop" at the box office in 2021 especially for WB movies that are same day release on HBO Max. 

We know there are going to be millions of people who watch on HBO Max instead of going to theaters with Delta patrolling the streets..  

I think they'll be graded on a curve, like if it does better than any WB movie but GvK then you have to say it did alright. I'm curious to see how it'll stack up with Dune and Matrix 4.

11 hours ago, dudalb said:

Speilberg has been saying for years studios have just gotten careless about keeping costs down because the requires some real work on the part of the directors and producers. He is convinced most films could have been made for a lot less but still look the same on the big screen. When asked how he can make a movie for 70 Million that looks likes it cost 180 Million, he says there is not great trick to it, just keep waste down. don't pad the payroll with people you don't need, and insist that people do the job they were hired to do .

I think a lot of it comes down to some movies being too bombastic for their own good. I've seen a fair share of stuff in recent years that should've spent more time developing their characters and plots instead of throwing a bunch of CGI on screen in hopes of distracting audiences from a less than stellar story.

Sometimes restrictions in budget can actually help creativity instead of just throwing a bunch of money at a concept and saying "do whatever", but of course that can be a case by case basis type of thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

Exactly. We are talking about an age where studios throw 150-200M to streaming exclusive movie and get nothing back from actual box office. The term flop should be revised now that it has this hybrid release and in an era that covid still goes strong.

• Like 1