kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

20 hours ago, excel1 said:

Reviews of this level will make a resounding difference. I think predictions should double for this now. 

Maybe outside the US,still think the  Covid resurgence dominating the news with it getting worse every day will hurt this film in the US. Probably open in the 25 to 30 Million  range tops. Shame, because it looks like an incredible movie.

Just back from seeing this and it is a blast. Hysterical.

Busiest audience and cinema in general since god knows when. Great to have a sold out crowd laughing out loud. 

5/5. 
(I’d give the 2016 film a 1/5, despite Margot being great in it).

Won’t say which characters stole the show because that would be spoilers. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

On 7/29/2021 at 4:45 PM, lorddemaxus said:

It would be pretty funny if this movie had more in common with Ayer's films like Sabotage (which would've gotten the exact same review as the one above) than Ayer's own Suicide Squad did.

Even calling it "Ayer's own" (a la "Newman's own") is a bit of a misnomer, since the whole topic under discussion from Ayer's perspective is that what was released was not Ayer's cut whatsoever.  We may never see it.  

On 7/29/2021 at 6:34 PM, Alligator Zatt said:

This forum died a little bit when the :sadben: emoji was removed. It was a BOT staple and broke the sacred timeline. Box office will only get better when the :sadben: emoji is restored.

What happened to this?  Why was it removed?  Bring it back!  Ben can take it!!  

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

The worst thing AT&T has ever done is relive that dumb cut, otherwise those shitty movies would've gotten buried faster, same with its horrible directors Sn***r and Ay** and their dumbfuckers delusional fans (they are all pieces of shit).

Tell us how you really feel.  🤐

We all know the first SS is a black hole of soulless, blind studio interference.  But let's be kinder to each other as human beings, shall we?   (...Perhaps this is why "Sad Affleck" was removed?) 

Edited by Macleod
  • Thanks 2

Just got back from this, it’s excellent. Very, very fun and absolutely deserves to be seen on the biggest screen possible if you feel safe going. The Starro scenes looked incredible in IMAX, you really get the sense of scale that would be lost on a TV. While I like Margot Robbie as an actress I always found Harley kind of irritating in SS and BoP, but here she’s written really well, and THAT action scene with her that James Gunn says is his favourite in the film really is gloriously violent, grin inducing fun.

Overall I absolutely loved it, and it was the perfect film to break an 18 month cinema hiatus with.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

WOM hit incoming?

5 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

It definitely should be, it’s absolutely a crowd pleaser, everyone in my audience seemed to love it.

Yeh, I don’t know if it was the fact it was the first sold out crowd I’ve been in for years, in the biggest SuperScreen auditorium, but it was fun to hear a full audience laugh so loudly, the jokes really land. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Skipper Eric said:

It's not free in France, which is what Menor is talking about. They don't have HBO Max there. Don't think they even have it on PVOD

They have plenty of covid though and when HBO Max releases something what also happens that day..   1080p pirating.  

There's just too factors to expect it to be a big hit. 

• Haha 1

I accidentally put in an unmarked spoiler in my previous impressions and got slapped by a mod, so I'll give it another try.

I saw this movie yesterday since WB decided to give us a privilege this time and release it where I live a week before most of the world. It is easily the best movie in the DCEU/Snyderverse thus far, even better than Shazam.  James Gunn's talent is on full display here, and while it is a very raunchy film, there is a surprising amount of heart and sincerity here that reminds me of his Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

King Shark stole the show and is my favourite out of the main cast. Peacemaker was great, and I really enjoyed Ratcatcher too. Joel Kinnaman was surprisingly entertaining as well, a far cry from the douchebag I saw from clips of the first movie (which I have no intention of watching anytime soon).

Spoiler

And Starro of all DC Comics characters being the final enemy was just the cherry on top. Very glad to see acid trips like him on a big budget Hollywood joint like this. Shame he died though, as I would have liked to see him fight the Justice League (whenever WB decides to try that again) at some point, since he was their first major opponent.

The Taika Waititi and Pom Klementieff cameos were nice shoutouts to the Marvel fans in the crowd.

I highly recommend seeing this, either on the big screen if you can or HBO Max next week. Absolutely worth it!

• Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

45 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

How much would the first movie have made if it got these kinds of reviews?

The first did extremely well anyway. Even better considering the bad reviews.

People forget how huge Suicide Squad was. I was going to say Venom is comparable cause it had dreadful reviews too, but it was huge in China, so SS is bigger. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Macleod said:

Even calling it "Ayer's own" (a la "Newman's own") is a bit of a misnomer, since the whole topic under discussion from Ayer's perspective is that what was released was not Ayer's cut whatsoever.  We may never see it.  

What happened to this?  Why was it removed?  Bring it back!  Ben can take it!!  

Tell us how you really feel.  🤐

We all know the first SS is a black hole of soulless, blind studio interference.  But let's be kinder to each other as human beings, shall we?   (...Perhaps this is why "Sad Affleck" was removed?) 

I have no doubt that warners interferred with Suicide Squad, but a lot that is wrong with the film is in the basic concpets.

The much hated..and rightly so...verson of the Joker is all on Ayer's head.

It's easy to wave the banner of the heroic  artist against the evil Studio suits. but the real world is not that simple and not that Black and White.

6 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

They have plenty of covid though and when HBO Max releases something what also happens that day..   1080p pirating.  

There's just too factors to expect it to be a big hit. 

I think people outside the US don't understand how bad the Covid resurgence is. Biden yesterday..though he did not go into details, said  new restrictions..or, rather, old restrictions being brought back. are on their way.

It's totally dominating the news in the US, and that cannot do anything but hurt film boxoffice.

I would not be surprised if we get a whole slew of releaes being postponed againd. In fact, it has already started.

SHocked that after eyear we still have people who have a no big deal attitude about the COvid.

• Thanks 1