kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s a testament to how absolutely brand damaging the first movie was that this might not even open to $30 million, despite the critical praise. 

Or it's a testament to how boring and uninteresting WB's current approach is. We did see both Shazam and BOP struggle to generate buzz despite good to great reviews

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

31 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Maybe it's time to stop the press. This wasn't needed.

"Kept coming out against Marvel" 

Scorsese said it once, then made a follow up article to clarify his stance...2 years ago. Move on already, this is just sad and embarrassing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Or it's a testament to how boring and uninteresting WB's current approach is. We did see both Shazam and BOP struggle to generate buzz despite good to great reviews

The issue lies where the previous films were disappointing…

Even if the 2017 Justice League was good, it wouldn’t have done much better as people saw it as a sequel to BvS.

BoP and TSS are seen by many as continuation of the first Suicide Squad which many hated.

Shazam had a terrible release date between Cap Marvel and Endgame…

The truth is DCEU needs to pick up on its consistency and credibility, make each film solid - too many hits and misses even today. WW1 was great but WW84 was considered disappointing…so also does not bold well for WW3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s a testament to how absolutely brand damaging the first movie was that this might not even open to $30 million, despite the critical praise. 

It is a bit unfair with the current situation obviously, but is there any post 1990 not made for TV sequel that did not do more than half the first weekend of the previous entry in their total run ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is a bit unfair with the current situation obviously, but is there any post 1990 not made for TV sequel that did not do more than half the first weekend of the previous entry in their total run ?

I’m guessing not, but we don’t really know what this movie will make for its total domestic run. It’s possible that word of mouth could give this movie some solid legs, especially since August is usually a fairly leggy month for movies. 

I enjoyed it but it is kind of the same as every other superhero film. Had hoped it would be a bit different and funnier. Though there are definitely some good gags, particular some good visual laughs.

Most of the character interactions are good. King shark is a particular joy. (though I was kicking myself when in the end credits I discovered whose voice it was, and for not realising...)

just felt a bit flat. And it really drags in parts, definitely would be better if it was shorter.

Villain was even weaker than like the elf from Thor 2. Though some of the other "dark" characters were v good.

Birds of prey is still the best DC film of recent years.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I enjoyed it but it is kind of the same as every other superhero film. Had hoped it would be a bit different and funnier. Though there are definitely some good gags, particular some good visual laughs.

Most of the character interactions are good. King shark is a particular joy.

just felt a bit flat. And it really drags in parts, definitely would be better if it was shorter.

Villain was even weaker than like the elf from Thor 2. Though some of the other "dark" characters were v good.

Birds of prey is still the best DC film of recent years.

I am watching it on IMAX on Friday, do you have idea why the RT score is so high?

Without going to spoiler territory, is there anything you felt specifically must have clicked with critics?

53 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I am watching it on IMAX on Friday, do you have idea why the RT score is so high?

Without going to spoiler territory, is there anything you felt specifically must have clicked with critics?

Probably the same reason that every other Marvel film gets similar very high RT scores. They are widely crowd-pleasing movies that have almost nothing you can "hate" about it. It's fine. Like I said i enjoyed it enough. I just wish it had been more than that, as I really loved GOTG. It feels a lot like a Marvel film, just with swearing and some comic gore.

As far as I can tell, critics are hardly swooning over it; most of the reviews I can see on RT are 3 stars, not 4-5 stars.

9 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Probably the same reason that every other Marvel film gets similar very high RT scores. They are widely crowd-pleasing movies that have almost nothing you can "hate" about it. It's fine. Like I said i enjoyed it enough. I just wish it had been more than that, as I really loved GOTG. It feels a lot like a Marvel film, just with swearing and some comic gore.

As far as I can tell, critics are hardly swooning over it; most of the reviews I can see on RT are 3 stars, not 4-5 stars.

It got 77 on metacritic, which isn't like astronomical, but very good for a CBM, same as Logan and one point less than Endgame.

13 minutes ago, Avatree said:

77 on MC:

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-suicide-squad/critic-reviews

Is quite high I think, would it stay like that (a Logan level), something like 4 Marvel movie ever made would be higher and 4 DC movie ever made I think.

That above is first Guardian of the Galaxy, Batman Begins and Wonder Woman, which seem to put it at the moment a step above the usual well received SH movie.

Edited by Barnack

11 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Out of the 104 critic reviews with a score, 70 of them are a 4/5 or above.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

77 on MC:

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-suicide-squad/critic-reviews

Is quite high I think, would it stay like that (a Logan level), something like 4 Marvel movie ever made would be higher and 4 DC movie ever made I think.

That above is first Guardian of the Galaxy, Batman Begins and Wonder Woman, which seem to put it at the moment a step above the usual well received SH movie.

11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Out of the 104 critic reviews with a score, 70 of them are a 4/5 or above.

Wow that's very high, you're right! I just looked at RT front page and the top critics are what have 3 stars.

I don't know what they saw in the film then. Wish I had enjoyed it that much!

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Wow that's very high, you're right! I just looked at RT front page and the top critics are what have 3 stars.

I don't know what they saw in the film then. Wish I had enjoyed it that much!

I'll find out myself on Friday if I'll enjoy it. Out of the 28 top critics with a rating, 6 of them have a 3/5 or lower.

• Like 1