kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

7 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Exactly. 

Also even if it opens below expectations, it might have Greatest Showman legs lol. We don’t know yet so don’t worry.

The only thing on my mind might be how Gunn reacts to a soft opening weekend as he is pushing for people to buy tickets. He will probably think HBO Max screwed him over. 

Obviously all film makers want to see their films succeed at the box office, but I hardly think James Gunn will react badly or hold any ill will towards HBO Max. At the end of the day he’s probably just happy that people are watching and enjoying his movie (legally of course). Plus, WB are clearly happy with the film that he’s made and are eager for him to return, so it’d be biting the hand that feeds him if he threw a tantrum about HBO Max siphoning the box office takings.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Exactly. 

Also even if it opens below expectations, it might have Greatest Showman legs lol. We don’t know yet so don’t worry.

The only thing on my mind might be how Gunn reacts to a soft opening weekend as he is pushing for people to buy tickets. He will probably think HBO Max screwed him over. 

I think he has a good relationship with them as he’s already made the Peacemaker series and apparently is talking to them to do more.

Believe me, if we know this isn’t opening big Gunn and WB know that as well and have probably already discussed it. He was also probably already paid out with the rest of the talent when WB announced the whole Dual release schedule. 

With respects to your other paragraph I’m not overly concerned about stuff I can’t control, a bit disappointed sure but what can I do. I just hope the people making the movies understand why this is opening the way it did and have all the feedback from audiences. 

I also doubt it will have great legs domestically cause of Max but I’d love to be wrong.

Gunn revealed soundtrack will receive Vinyl release

Full list of songs credited:

"Folsom Prison Blues"- Johnny Cash

"People Who Died"- Jim Carroll Band

"Sucker's Prayer"- The Decemberists

"Samba Na Sola"- Ceu

"Whistle For the Choir"- The Fratellis

"Point of Know Return"- Kansas

"Sola"- Jessie Reyez

"Can't Sleep"- K. Flay

"Quem Tem Joga"- Drik Barbosa

"Rain"- Grandson

"I Ain't Got No Body"- Spencer Williams/Margot Robbie

"Just A Gigolo"- Louis Prima

"Hey"- Pixies

"So Busted" Culture Abuse

"Oh No"- Grandson

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Maybe if TSS numbers are gigantic.

If it tanks on BO it tanks on Max. The movies that do great on Max are the ones that do great at the BO. I feel like we have enough data now the picture is pretty clear.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

7 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

He really, really didn’t. He had around 10 minutes (if that) of screen time, he was nowhere near the biggest selling point. 

Leto’s Joker not being in this one is a massive positive, he’d have been massively out of place tonally.

Ummmmmmmm sure Joker ended up having very little screen time, but his presence in the marketing was ABSOLUTELY one of the reasons the first film did so well and was so hyped. The Joker is one of the biggest Comic book characters ever. He was absolutely one of the key reasons that first movie was huge

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Ummmmmmmm sure Joker ended up having very little screen time, but his presence in the marketing was ABSOLUTELY one of the reasons the first film did so well and was so hyped. The Joker is one of the biggest Comic book characters ever. He was absolutely one of the key reasons that first movie was huge

Maybe. But he was also pretty much hated by the majority of the audience once they saw the film, so I seriously doubt many people are sat around watching the marketing for TSS wishing that they’d included Leto’s Joker. For me it was a positive that they didn’t bring him back. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

This movie is 1 day away from release and it still feels like James Gunn is the only person promoting the movie. It's been his twitter account since the first trailer launched and that's it

I don’t really care to argue but I’m not sure a lot of you watch live TV. They’ve had tons of TV spots the last few weeks and had regular TV spots on the nba semi-finals/finals, euro cup matches. Along with ads on social media and YouTube. Plus all the normal posters on buses, ads in time square etc. I mean they’ve done a decent amount of advertising but Gunn is probably just trying to help. 

You’re entitled to your opinion of course but I think the marketing has been fine for these times. I think other factors are the issue but that’s just my opinion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I don’t really care to argue but I’m not sure a lot of you watch live TV. They’ve had tons of TV spots the last few weeks and had regular TV spots on the nba semi-finals/finals, euro cup matches. Along with ads on social media and YouTube. Plus all the normal posters on buses, ads in time square etc. I mean they’ve done a decent amount of advertising but Gunn is probably just trying to help. 

You’re entitled to your opinion of course but I think the marketing has been fine for these times. I think other factors are the issue but that’s just my opinion.

I've seen some TV spots too, but I haven't seen any that are boasting about how good the reviews are, as this should be doing right now. I haven't seen any TV spots that have critic quotes, and how it has a 97% on RT. This is something they should be doing, and I personally have not seen that

But you're right, I think there are bigger issues. No Will Smith, No Joker, Covid/Delta, HBO Max, R Rating, stink of the first movie, uncertainty whether this is a sequel or a reboot are all other major factors.

Man, that's a lot

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So this franchise went from 135m OW to 20-30m OW because of HBO Max?

Not because of delta or BOP/SS or an R-rating?

And what does BOP have to do with this lol you guys are obsessed for more than a year trying to make it some kind of a disaster and critically bomb.

29 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Everything,  they could have hoped for decent legs like Bumblebee,  winning back fans, but no chance of that with it being online for free

5 minutes ago, belblazer said:

And what does BOP have to do with this lol you guys are obsessed for more than a year trying to make it some kind of a disaster and critically bomb.

I don’t think they’re implying that, it’s just some people don’t like Harley so if they watched SS/BOP and didn’t like them then they may equate this movie with those. 

Edited by cax16

I think people blaming failure of this (if it happens) might be overestimating COVID/Max and underestimating the fact that the trailers had zero buzz, I haven't met a single real life person talking about it, and perhaps most importantly, Birds of Prey only opened to 33m with Harley in it! This doesn't have Will Smith or Joker, why would it open that much more than Birds of Prey? We just saw this!

I'm glad it's good and will be seeing it Saturday, to be clear. But the flop potential has always been there - Birds of Prey numbers should have been a giant red flag.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Audiences rejected BOP.

It only made 84m DOM.

It underperformed but received waaay better reviews than SS. I'm sure they end up fine with all merch and bluray/dvd sales. And again we will have Harley as the lead, shocking people who spread fake info that Gunn cut lots of her scenes after BOP numbers.

You guys won't give up not even after spin-offs like GCS are announced, and Harley again as lead. The same happens with Shazam.

56 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It's delta

And poor trailers

And reception of the previous movie

And no Joker

And the R rating

And HBO Max

It takes a lot of different factors to reduce an OW by like 75%.