kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

24 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

They still blew a head up in the first one and that was PG-13. So, going in, I expect at least one or two people's heads to turn into confetti while others die in battle.

Still looking forward to it. It's more a minor surprise it's R than anything else.

Yes but here you get to see the remains. Up close. More than once and for more than one person. It earns its R. 

Edited by Krissykins

8 hours ago, grey ghost said:

If Deadpool, Logan and Joker can succeed with an R-rating then why not Harley Quinn?

I think lot of the appeal of Harley on the original SS movie during the years came from young people, and BOP rated restricted them from see it.

And also maybe the different approach on the character hurt it. BOP changed not only her hair and clothes but also her personality in many ways. While i do feel it's way better than the sexualized 2016 version, i'm sure some people disagree on that.

But this have nothing to do with this TSS which should do well being a Rated R movie since it's a perfect movie for it. But while pre pandemic the rated wouldn't stop it from succeed, i think right now it could hurt it at some degree with older demographics which maybe aren't that comfortable going in a theater.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, grey ghost said:

If Deadpool, Logan and Joker can succeed with an R-rating then why not Harley Quinn?

Logan didn’t exactly set the box world on fire. Even with rave reviews it grossed the least out of all the superhero films. Joker and Deadpool seem to be the exception. R rated DC Fiona aren’t working, box office wise at all! WB should stop

2 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Logan didn’t exactly set the box world on fire. Even with rave reviews it grossed the least out of all the superhero films. Joker and Deadpool seem to be the exception. R rated DC Fiona aren’t working, box office wise at all! WB should stop

It made a lot more than the last Wolverine movie. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t think being rated R hurt BoP as much as people are claiming. There just wasn’t much interest in it to begin with. 

How much it hurt it is debatable. It did in some capacity.

But it didnt need to be R rated was the strangest part. A quick couple edits and that film is PG13 and loses nothing.

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t think being rated R hurt BoP as much as people are claiming. There just wasn’t much interest in it to begin with. 

That’s just a throwaway opinion. 

BOP was appealing to teen girls under 17. I’m glad it’s R anyway, film is better for it. BOP’s officially been in the UK top 40 home video chart for a full year now, 52 weeks and it’s #9 this week. It found its audience. 

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think lot of the appeal of Harley on the original SS movie during the years came from young people, and BOP rated restricted them from see it.

I’m not so sure. The Margot Robbie interpretation in particular seems to skew older in terms of appeal, even back to the 2016 film. You don’t really see many kids dressing up as her (for good reason considering the 2016 outfit!), but Halloween 2016 was rife with older teens and upward dressed up as her. I feel that the young fanbase for the character doesn’t really come from the movies.

I wouldn’t really recommend the original Suicide Squad to pre-teens. In the UK it was a 15 (a very soft 15, and bizarrely the same rating as TSS).

BoP’s failure wasn’t because kids under 17 couldn’t see it without an adult, it just generally didn’t sell itself very well.

• Like 1

BOP really seems to be aging well, not only have been very solid on home video but also pull great numbers on HBO Max.

And no matter what TSS gross, i do feel it's destinated to be a success somewhere too, even if it's on streaming.

What i hope is that these two well received movies is enough to make people hyped for the property again and next time they go to see in the theater. At this point 2016 SS is way behind us to keep being used as a reason to not be excited for new movies.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Where did you see those numbers?

Don't remember the exact place i saw it, but it came from HBO Max itself.

Since the movie was put there, it's getting consistently good positions on their charts. If i remember correctly it was actually the most watched movie for days at some point early this year even if it's available there since August 2020.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

BOP really seems to be aging well, not only have been very solid on home video but also pull great numbers on HBO Max.

And no matter what TSS gross, i do feel it's destinated to be a success somewhere too, even if it's on streaming.

What i hope is that these two well received movies is enough to make people hyped for the property again and next time they go to see in the theater. At this point 2016 SS is way behind us to keep being used as a reason to not be excited for new movies.

I like this long term thinking, which unfortunately hasn't historically been one of WB's strongest traits. But who knows? Maybe they've actually changed? 

I mean thing is regardless of what TSS and it's $185 million budget does, the Peacemaker show was shot and coming out on Max. It's in their interests to support that investment. 

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

It made a lot more than the last Wolverine movie. 

But was dead last compared to the other superhero films that years. Critically panned Justice League out grossed it! I really do hope this is the last R-rated DCEU film because the franchise can’t afford anymore financial flops! This one is the third in a row (though with WW84 it’s understandable given the circumstances).

• Knock It Off 1

A lot of the appeal for Harley back in 2016 was her sex appeal and her relationship with Joker.

It's not a coincidence that her popularity has sunk since they started moving away from that

Edited by DlAMONDZ
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, El Gato said:

But was dead last compared to the other superhero films that years. Critically panned Justice League out grossed it! I really do hope this is the last R-rated DCEU film because the franchise can’t afford anymore financial flops! This one is the third in a row (though with WW84 it’s understandable given the circumstances).

The same circumstances that hurt WW84 are hurting TSS (to a lesser extent).

Multiple movies have proven that there's a large market for R-rated superhero movies.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

The same circumstances that hurt WW84 are hurting TSS (to a lesser extent).

Multiple movies have proven that there's a large market for R-rated superhero movies.

OT but I'm reminded of Dredd, which should've spawned a whole cool (bloody) franchise. 

Sigh

• Like 2