kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The same circumstances that hurt WW84 are hurting TSS (to a lesser extent).

Multiple movies have proven that there's a large market for R-rated superhero movies.

We’ll see what it opens to. If it’s above 35M (what JC was able to do the week before) then I’ll agree. If it’s lower than that then we just have to admit something else is wrong… DCEU is on a downward trajectory currently. Hopefully  that changes with Black Adam, Flash and Aquaman 2 next year!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, El Gato said:

But was dead last compared to the other superhero films that years. Critically panned Justice League out grossed it! I really do hope this is the last R-rated DCEU film because the franchise can’t afford anymore financial flops! This one is the third in a row (though with WW84 it’s understandable given the circumstances).

It was a hard R, gritty, sad, neo-western (not an action comedy like Deadpool) with no CGI setpieces or anything, it did amazing for what it is and comparing it to other cape movies that year doesn't make any sense. It's the 2nd highest grossing X-film, Deadpool movies excluded

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, El Gato said:

We’ll see what it opens to. If it’s above 35M (what JC was able to do the week before) then I’ll agree. If it’s lower than that then we just have to admit something else is wrong… DCEU is on a downward trajectory currently. Hopefully  that changes with Black Adam, Flash and Aquaman 2 next year!

I'm biased because I wasn't that hot on JC having seen it, but let's hope that same director/star pairing does better on BA. 

31 minutes ago, El Gato said:

We’ll see what it opens to. If it’s above 35M (what JC was able to do the week before) then I’ll agree. If it’s lower than that then we just have to admit something else is wrong…

Jungle Cruise has two box office draws.
It wasn’t available at home at no extra cost.

It wasn’t rated R.

It’s Disney. 

Maybe not the best comparison. What other R rated movies have opened during the pandemic with a streaming option? Conjuring 3 and Mortal Kombat? It’s hard to find a reasonable comparison, because we’re still in unfamiliar territory. But I can’t find many familiarities between Jungle Cruise and The Suicide Squad. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, El Gato said:

I blame the R rating for that. It was unnecessary considering the characters invloved. Also it alienated Harley Quinn’s biggest fan base, teenagers with that rating. Really hoping WB gets the hint and stops making R rated Harley Quinn films and R rated DC films in general! 

They aren't gonna do that because Joker was one of the most profitable CBM's of all time.   But they could stand to choose better on what ones are rated R and not... 

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The fact that people had to pay $30 to watch JC at home, while TSS will be available at no extra charge, makes it iffy to do a proper comparison between the two. 

i said that 5 pages ago and people disagreed with me.  You can really only compare TSS to OTHER HBO Max movies.. 

52 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

It was a hard R, gritty, sad, neo-western (not an action comedy like Deadpool) with no CGI setpieces or anything, it did amazing for what it is and comparing it to other cape movies that year doesn't make any sense. It's the 2nd highest grossing X-film, Deadpool movies excluded

There was definitely a big CGI set piece?

Can't believe people are comparing a property like Jungle Cruise to The Suicide Squad, A DC movie and actually saying Jungle Cruise has upper hand? 

I am sorry but Jungle Cruise overperfomed over the weekend, it was looking DOA before. Just because TSS is not performing well so far doesn't mean it's not bigger movie than Jungle Cruise. 

And don't compare budgets. Disney has a habit of over budgeted movies all the time. 

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

Honestly, speaking as someone who really hasnt followed the production of this film: When i hear or read "Suicide Squad" i automatically think of probably the worst Superhero movie of all time. At least Catwoman (2005) had that hilarious basketball scene.

I think many people are simply turned off by the name alone. Doesnt matter if this new one here is a Masterpiece, the 2016 film did a ton of damage to the brand name.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Honestly, speaking as someone who really hasnt followed the production of this film: When i hear or read "Suicide Squad" i automatically think of probably the worst Superhero movie of all time. At least Catwoman (2005) had that hilarious basketball scene.

I think many people are simply turned off by the name alone. Doesnt matter if this new one here is a Masterpiece, the 2016 film did a ton of damage to the brand name.

So did BvS but JL, with all its known production issues still opened to 94m

2 hours ago, Chicago said:

That maybe a good starting point.

JL opening day dropped from BvS by 53% the OW by 44%, we could say that half the buzz was lost between the 2, despite the movie adding an extremely popular at the time Wonder Woman and Jason Mamoa has Aquaman and being bigger.

SS got a bit smaller instead of bigger with Smith and The Joker leaving, a similar 50% type of drop would have been optimistic considering, that put it down to 66 million, the pandemy resurgence + free on HBO max would easily remove a natural 40% I imagine to that (i.e. it should open at 40M to be a JL type disappointment, the talk of it going even under that make it particularly underperformer with the reviews).

I thought SS was more liked among the general audience than the reviews, but that could have been wrong, that said I am still a bit baffle by the mind of so many movie critics that judged that the movie Suicide Squad was a well crafted movie (or that still achieved to accomplish is mission despite not being one) and worthy of a positive review, they must have a great time at the movies every week.

BvS at least had Zimmer studio and Junkie XL collaboration, the Snyder cinematography and strong visual.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

There was definitely a big CGI set piece?

I think they were talking about Logan

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

Can't believe people are comparing a property like Jungle Cruise to The Suicide Squad, A DC movie and actually saying Jungle Cruise has upper hand? 

I am sorry but Jungle Cruise overperfomed over the weekend, it was looking DOA before. Just because TSS is not performing well so far doesn't mean it's not bigger movie than Jungle Cruise. 

And don't compare budgets. Disney has a habit of over budgeted movies all the time. 

Jungle Cruise had the upper hand. We can compare budgets. It’s not our problem that Disney spent too much on Jungle Cruise. Are you claiming they are saying it cost more than it actually did?? Just because they spent irresponsibly, doesn’t give them a free pass lol

Ideally TSS should be doing 40m+ OW when even Mortal Kombat opened to 20m+.

Anything below 30m,is severe underperformance. No way to spin it. 

Only 3 films have done more than $40m. I know they’re not as well reviewed as The Suicide Squad, but they weren’t available at home at no extra cost. 

Without comparing anything I hardly see why Disney gets some free pass when JC even with “over performing” is gonna still lose a lot of money. Budgets matter so why shouldn’t people talk about the JC budget?

The market is definitely open enough where TSS can make more, but there’s obviously something holding people back. Maybe we’ll know more as more info comes out in the next few weeks. 

Also, just to add one more thing. Sure TSS being a DC movie “should” allow it to open higher and make more then JC but movies don’t always work out like that. Look at Aquaman? Should that of made more then any marvel movie under any circumstance? Probably not, but it ended up being one of the biggest solo cbm. There’s factors at play for everything, we just aren’t privy to all the information. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chicago said:

And i remember vividly how much this forum laughed at that measly 94M.

In context of BvS' 166M Opening, it was simply a terrible number since JL was designed to be DC's Avengers.