kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

This is one of the most well crafted superhero movies ever made and deserves every rave review it get.

Have problems? Yes. But everything that works, works beautifully.

And is a joy to see a big budget movie with so much personality, every year this is becoming less common.

• Like 9

Strong Thrusday opening with 4.1 millin, but today will tall the tale.

It's a comment on how the Covid had changed the landscape of the film indfustry that a  30 to 35 Million dollar opening  for a 200 Million dollar flllmis considered a good opening. Before Covid it would have been considered a very bad opening for a film that expensive.

David Ayer dropped an interesting tidbit, which is that Lee Smith has an edited cut of his Suicide Squad. Have you seen the Lee Smith cut? From your experience, how much can a different cut change a movie?

Richard Suckle and I produced Suicide Squad. When the studio was hoping to replace John [Gilroy], the original editor, we suggested Lee. I had worked with Lee on Chris’ movies, The Dark Knight trilogy. He’s one of the truly great editors. He was charged with trying to take a slightly different approach, but not totally change the tone of the movie with his work. Clearly, from what David is saying, that was the version that he liked the best of all the versions. There was a tremendous amount of different feelings between what the studio wanted and what David wanted at that time. It was a negotiation, for sure, of what the ultimate cut was going to be.

The interesting thing was, when we tested the Ayer version — to be honest, I can’t sit here and remember how we got to that edited version, who was editing that edited version — but it wasn’t Lee. It was somebody else that came in. The studio version was also different editors as well. We tested both versions. They tested exactly the same. Because they tested exactly the same, David and the studio and ourselves, meaning Rich and I and the heads of DC at that time — Jon Berg and Geoff Johns — we all sat in a room and tried to come up with what would be the best of both versions. Obviously, the movie made a really nice piece of change. Audiences liked it enough for us to want to do a sequel. But it definitely wasn’t the exact vision of David, and it definitely wasn’t the exact vision of the studio.

That’s surprising that they tested the same.

That testing process, or what we call bake-off, that is not an unusual process. That happens, more than you might think. But most of the time, there is a clear winner. And usually, everybody agrees, “Well if we are going to do the bake-off, we should really go with the clear winner. Let the audience decide.” In this case, there wasn’t a clear winner. It literally came to the exact same place. They just liked different parts of the movie. Different audiences commented on different parts of the movie they liked better or not. That doesn’t always work to create the best movie, to be honest, it’s an imprecise process. There’s a great line in Twelve Monkeys where somebody says “science is not an exact science.” (Laughs.) Well, making movies is not an exact science either.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/suicide-squad-james-gunn-david-ayer-cut-1234994105/

I really enjoyed the movie. I think the peacemaker show is going to be awesome.

The most surprising character for me was blood sport. His character in this movie was more interesting to me than deadshot from the first one. 

Spoiler

Showing him being a bad father makes more sense then him being some kind of saint of fatherhood at the same time a murderer. I also liked the actress that played the daughter. 

Also like the fact that you see him in his mask quite often and they actually give a reason for him to not have it on at the end. 

I thought Harley and polka dot were underutilized. Boomer made ,e sad. Kai is so charismatic in this role and played off of everyone extremely well. 

I was amazed by all of the callbacks throughout the movie.

The bird and sevant. The Office bets. The golf club. Smaller bullets. Polka dots mom. The rebel group. 

all In all I would recommend it. I had a great time. The audience in my theater was loud af laughing like crazy. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

David Ayer dropped an interesting tidbit, which is that Lee Smith has an edited cut of his Suicide Squad. Have you seen the Lee Smith cut? From your experience, how much can a different cut change a movie?

Richard Suckle and I produced Suicide Squad. When the studio was hoping to replace John [Gilroy], the original editor, we suggested Lee. I had worked with Lee on Chris’ movies, The Dark Knight trilogy. He’s one of the truly great editors. He was charged with trying to take a slightly different approach, but not totally change the tone of the movie with his work. Clearly, from what David is saying, that was the version that he liked the best of all the versions. There was a tremendous amount of different feelings between what the studio wanted and what David wanted at that time. It was a negotiation, for sure, of what the ultimate cut was going to be.

The interesting thing was, when we tested the Ayer version — to be honest, I can’t sit here and remember how we got to that edited version, who was editing that edited version — but it wasn’t Lee. It was somebody else that came in. The studio version was also different editors as well. We tested both versions. They tested exactly the same. Because they tested exactly the same, David and the studio and ourselves, meaning Rich and I and the heads of DC at that time — Jon Berg and Geoff Johns — we all sat in a room and tried to come up with what would be the best of both versions. Obviously, the movie made a really nice piece of change. Audiences liked it enough for us to want to do a sequel. But it definitely wasn’t the exact vision of David, and it definitely wasn’t the exact vision of the studio.

That’s surprising that they tested the same.

That testing process, or what we call bake-off, that is not an unusual process. That happens, more than you might think. But most of the time, there is a clear winner. And usually, everybody agrees, “Well if we are going to do the bake-off, we should really go with the clear winner. Let the audience decide.” In this case, there wasn’t a clear winner. It literally came to the exact same place. They just liked different parts of the movie. Different audiences commented on different parts of the movie they liked better or not. That doesn’t always work to create the best movie, to be honest, it’s an imprecise process. There’s a great line in Twelve Monkeys where somebody says “science is not an exact science.” (Laughs.) Well, making movies is not an exact science either.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/suicide-squad-james-gunn-david-ayer-cut-1234994105/

If the novelation of the first movie is anything to go by, the Ayer cut is even worse than the theatrical. Not every movie was butchered by the studio. Just accept he made a bad movie and move on. 

eta not referring to you specifically. Sorry if it sounds like I singled you out. 

Edited by zeb1814

6 minutes ago, zeb1814 said:

If the novelation of the first movie is anything to go by, the Ayer cut is even worse than the theatrical. Not every movie was butchered by the studio. Just accept he made a bad movie and move on. 

eta not referring to you specifically. Sorry if it sounds like I singled you out. 

If Ayer’s version doesn’t have the bizarre editing and weird use of pop songs, then that’s already an improvement. 

14 minutes ago, zeb1814 said:

What does the novelatization do differently?

23 minutes ago, zeb1814 said:

Even if his cut was worse, I see no reason to oppose it being released. Some fans want to watch it, and the director would like for people to see it. Releasing his cut would cause literally no harm to no one. I see no reason for uninterested people to be bothered by a campaign like this.

I am glad this version of the movie is receiving praise. For DC, critical acclaim is almost as important as box office, because good word of mouth helps to establish a good and reliable reputation. So cheers for that! 

I wish I could say that I enjoyed the movie, but I didn’t. I just don’t like the blood, the gore and the violence in these movies. I don’t know enough about TSS, so that could explain it. I think walking talking shark man and rodent are ridiculous and gross.