kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

1 hour ago, DlAMONDZ said:

They have though. Every statement I've seen from people involved are about how it's not connected to the first movie, how it's not a sequel etc

I’m talking about more in terms of the general audience. If they saw the first one that also included Viola Davies and Margot Robbie, they will be thinking where is Will Smith and Jared Leto.

Maybe it won’t be a problem but in my opinion I don’t think the marketing has been effective in telling the general audience that this is not a straight sequel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, exomassey said:

I’m talking about more in terms of the general audience. If they saw the first one that also included Viola Davies and Margot Robbie, they will be thinking where is Will Smith and Jared Leto.

Maybe it won’t be a problem but in my opinion I don’t think the marketing has been effective in telling the general audience that this is not a straight sequel.

Nobody remembers any character from that movie (including Will Smith's character) aside from Harley Quinn and to a significantly lesser extent, The Joker.

• Like 1

For whatever it's worth I never saw the first one but I understand that this is pretty much a soft-reboot; different director giving their take on the premise. The trailers haven't really hooked me personally but like I said I understand what they're going for here.

3 hours ago, Noctis said:

Nobody remembers any character from that movie (including Will Smith's character) aside from Harley Quinn and to a significantly lesser extent, The Joker.

Really?

Even though it wasn’t a critical success, the film was fairly successful at the box office. It made the Suicide Squad a mainstream property. 

Even if you say no one remembers Will Smiths character or a popular Batman villain like Joker, you can’t deny their inclusion in the first movie was instrumental in its success along with Margot Robbie. 

I’m just saying without them the new movie to win over audiences again. However it could be critical darling and become a massive breakout hit, I don’t know.

8 hours ago, Noctis said:

Yup, I doubt there’s many people who are particularly attached to any character from the 2016 film, regardless of who was playing them. It took me a minute to remember who Will Smith even played, and I’m a fan of Will Smith.

The lack of Leto’s Joker is probably a positive if anything considering how reviled his take on the character was outside the Snyder hardcore. It’s not like he really added to the story of the first film either, he basically just existed for Harley’s back story and wasn’t part of the “squad”, so I doubt people will be disappointed that it doesn’t pick up any scraps of his storylines.

11 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Probably not the best idea with the Loki finale lol, but who knows. I’m guessing early next week then. 

It seems like some critics already seen it because Warner is putting some reviews on the UK posters

I hope they didn't screwed even the reactions embargo, it could help this movie to get some hype.

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It seems like some critics already seen it because Warner is putting some reviews on the UK posters

I hope they didn't screwed even the reactions embargo, it could help this movie to get some hype.

Ya I agree, I don’t know why they didn’t release yesterday, Maybe cause Space Jam is releasing this week? I don’t know tbh. I’m gonna assume next week Monday/Tuesday. 

I think UK critics saw it first because it releases early there right? Like a week earlier. 

Edited by cax16

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Social media reactions don’t seem to mean much. What this movie will need more than anything is good word of mouth from general audiences. 

If after the initial first reactions/reviews come out and people continuously give this praise then it will definitely help it's success, as it would with anything else. I have little doubt this will be solid with the general audience, and I do think having James Gun directing gives this a better advantage as opposed to having David Ayer come back to do this.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 7:14 AM, Noctis said:

Can't agree with this, it hasn't been THAT long and it was seen by alot of people. Will smith was the lead too, to say he was less memorable than Harley Quinn is wrong. He was the only character with any sort of emotional connection.

People forget Suicide Squad was Will Smith's first blockbuster role for a while, I think his casting helped that movie more than people seem to admit.

Margot Robbie did a fantastic job in the film but but people didnt turn up just to see Harley Quinn, this was made quite obvious after BOP literally flopped. A deadshot movie with Will Smith would have likely grossed more.

Edited by Chicago

On 7/11/2021 at 5:24 PM, Krissykins said:

In America because of HBO max probably, but their international marketing for Conjuring 3 was great, hence the great OS box office. 

I’d expect $35-45m for this. 

I'll be surprised if it doesn't open with $60m+ (even if it is free on HBO Max), and I think Squad has more audience appeal in some markets like Latin America and Europe than BW, but I don't know how much the movie being R Rated will hurt it (and off course it will depend on WOM as well).

5 hours ago, Chicago said:

People forget Suicide Squad was Will Smith's first blockbuster role for a while, I think his casting helped that movie more than people seem to admit.

A deadshot movie with Will Smith would have likely grossed more.

Will Smith was the best part of the film. His character had the most emotional core. I'm not a Deadshot fan but would've gone to a solo Deadshot film, in large part due to Smith.

I'm not a big fan of the first SS and this one looks worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1