kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

Budget is apparently 200m , can't write all that off

They can if they wish, with subscription money. Looking at Black Widow, Raya, Luca and even F9. I somehow don’t think many studios are expecting to break even on their big budget films this year. 

Edited by Krissykins

31 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

They can if they wish, with subscription money. Looking at Black Widow, Raya, Luca and even F9. I somehow don’t think many studios are expecting to break even on their big budget films this year. 

Raya and Luca are not like TSS.

Plus, Black Widow and F9 won't be that far from breakeven and might even make some profit. TSS is not going to open anywhere close and it's budget is comparable plus it's having a big marketing push also right now.

I read awhile ago but I don’t remember where the budget was like 150-160m but I don’t know for sure. Either way unless things turn around with sales it’s not breaking even obviously. 

I think WB has written the whole year off personally cause of Max but we’ll know after the movie comes out with what they announce(at Fandome?) what they really thought. 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

F9 is already $622M WW - it's made money and doesn't need any budget write off...it's this year's Hollywood success story so far...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, exomassey said:

I’ve been looking for all the reactions I could find and I have yet to see anything really negative.

Honestly I’m betting the reviews tomorrow are gonna be raves. This could help the film break out.

Maybe you're right but reactions are always overly praising films. It's what people do when they are first to see something. 

13 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

If someone had told me four years ago that the sequel to Suicide Squad would be well received, while the sequel to Wonder Woman would piss a lot of people off, I wouldn’t have believed them. 

I would have with James Gunn on board. WW was so average and overrated that part 2 was always going to disappoint

22 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why not blame covid for both?

Why would covid impact F9 and Snake Eyes but not BW?

Snakey Eyes was impacted because it was a product people didnt want to pay to see. The 2nd film already dropped with a big cast, this comes out 8 years later, no-one asked for it and there isn't a recognisable cast member. The trailers were shit and the budget was slashed. I'm surprised it didn't go straight to netflix 

Edited by Chicago

Now it has 21 reviews at allocine and still averagely 3.8/5.
In detail:
4x 5/5
10x 4/5
5x 3/5
2x 2/5
As mentioned before it's rare there that a big film reaches such a level. We'll soon know if American critics have the same sympathy for this movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

The DCEU fanbase is so divided right now, it can't be pointing anywhere good.

They really want to act like there's not a whole pandemic going on. They're pretty much in their own little echo chamber at this point.

5 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

The DCEU fanbase is so divided right now, it can't be pointing anywhere good.

They are not DC fans. Maybe against the thread rule but I don't count Snyder fans as part of any civil discussion. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

Twitter users have no bearing on the real world, so they're not gonna impact anything. If it flops it'll be for a lot of reasons, but not because of some terminally online incels lol

Yeah that aside, TSS is not in good shape right now. 

I think this movie perfectly suitable for thread "What went wrong?". I am curious to follow this. 

25 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

They are not DC fans.

Agreed. As a DC fan I’m just happy that we’re getting what sounds like a legitimately good film. It’d be nice if it did well at the box office, but at the end of the day as long as I enjoy the film that’s all that matters to me.

• Like 2