kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

1 minute ago, Snake Eric said:

Huh...don't remember the face peeling scene. Don't know if that means it just wasn't that intense or just how little I remembered from the movie.

It's not shown in gory detail though, more implied.

4 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

If the world was fair and just, then this would easily outgross the original. Watching this inevitably bomb won't be fun, to put it lightly.

Not much you can do, WB was part of the problem wth the first so let’s hope this time they do things right. Even if it doesn’t do well box office wise let’s hope they have a plan and stick to it and build off that. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s still more brutal than anything you’re likely to find in a PG-13 movie. 

Yeah but they could easily change the position of the camera and get a PG-13 instead without even cut the scene.

I'm all in for R Rated movies, but BOP the way it is doesn't need that.

TSS otherwise looks like embrace the rating for the construction of the entire movie.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lucas said:

How many other 1st and 2nd movies are there where one is fucking terrible but does really well at the box office, and the other is the total opposite in both ways.

Think I found the "closest" examples. Note the air quotes, because obviously the films I'm mentioning aren't actually that bad.

The 90s Addams Family movies

Mission: Impossible 2 to Mission: Impossible 3

Into Darkness to Beyond

The Angry Birds movies

30 minutes ago, Snake Eric said:

It is a mystery to me how the current Birds of Prey movie that exists today got an R. Its violence isn't any more brutal than any of DC's PG-13 fare and I don't remember anything too objectionable in terms of sex or language (could be misremembering something). How on Earth did it get an R?

Face peeling, children at risk, two broken legs bent backwards, language, sex references, family gunned down including children, woman forced to take her clothes off in public at knife point and a guy blown into pieces. 

Here in the UK the broken legs got them “injury detail” and the woman forced to take her dress off got them “sexual threat”. Both usually an immediate 15 rating. 

27 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

For once, the enthusiasm in early reaction transpose to real critic review. I think last time DC has this was Shazam?

Yup. And this has much greater reviews to boot:

77 Metacritic to Shazam’s 71 Metacritic

100% Rotten Tomatoes with 8.1 average to 90% with 7.3 average 

In fact, this metascoreis currently higher than Guardians 1 (76) and vol 2 (67)

4 hours ago, AJG said:

They really want to act like there's not a whole pandemic going on. They're pretty much in their own little echo chamber at this point.

You think after more then a year, people would learn better, but never underestimate the epower of human stupidity.

Gunn has delivered. Very excited to see this Thursday. I’m gonna laugh my ass off if the first year with 4 MCUs is also the year that my favorite CBM is from the DCEU. Especially since my favorite comic book show of the year could also be a Harley Quinn property.

Unfortunate about the current sales trajectory, but I’d rather get a bunch of great movies with meh numbers than repeats of the 2016 fiasco. And hey, maybe it can leg well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

What if it flops tho?

One flop will not kill you if you have a good record......its a string of failures that will end your career as an A lister.

Look, everybody in Hollywood knows that there are two kinds of directors in the industry...those who have had a big flop and those who eventually will.One flop will not destroy you,two or three in row you have major problems.

Besides,Gunn can blame the Delta Covid, with some truth.

56 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

If if flop at box office, it will be a success on streaming and home media, presuming that people will like it.

Even BOP seems to be big on streaming despite the awful results on theaters.

Maybe, but the 200 Million price tag is going to make it hard to break even.

That means it going to have to rake in 400 Million to just break even. That is going to be hard to do with a weak theratical performance.

Edited by dudalb

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Maybe, but the 200 Million price tag is going to make it hard to break even.

Agreed, but with Delta, HBO Max release, sequel to a terrible movie and the worst marketing campaign of the year... I feel like everyond will understand if it flops.

I mean, i think only F9 of the big movies really break even this year with box office alone. 

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean, i think only F9 of the big movies really break even this year with box office alone. 

Nah, the F&F movies cost a lot due to what I assume are huge participation costs for actors (although I guess it would be lower for this one due to no The Rock) and it's also a $250 mil production budget. It's why F8 didn't make it into the Deadline top 10 in 2017. I doubt just the boxoffice will be enough for F9. 

• Like 1