kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

Yes I have to say the trailer underwhelmed me as most of the jokes didn't land for me and no cool action beats revealed. I think they could have done something like the first GOTG teaser where they just briefly explain some of the characters in the Sucide Squad.

Still looking forward to it ofc but hope Gunn doesn't go too overboard with the "edgy" humour.

I’m a little confused by the people who are apparently disappointed with the trailer. This is an R-rated James Gunn movie. The trailer delivers exactly what you’d expect from a movie like that. Even though I can’t find it in myself to get excited for it, that’s not because I think it looks bad. It’s just not my personal cup of tea. 

16 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m a little confused by the people who are apparently disappointed with the trailer. This is an R-rated James Gunn movie. The trailer delivers exactly what you’d expect from a movie like that. Even though I can’t find it in myself to get excited for it, that’s not because I think it looks bad. It’s just not my personal cup of tea. 

Maybe people wanted more action? Also, at least on here it seems like the jokes didn’t land for some?

Reception been really good online for the most part. 

15 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I was expecting exactly that and I think it looks great. Even my partner who is usually very cynical when it comes to DC stuff said that she’s looking forward to it.

Seems like it’s been well received by people on Twitter too, it’s been all over my timeline for the last 24 hours and all of it seems to be positive, particularly regarding King Shark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Stallone has basically revealed on his Instagram that *he* is voicing King Shark.  

Ho-hum.  I was dreaming he was playing a revived "John Spartan."  

Wasn’t it obvious from the trailer? That’s clearly Stallone’s voice. James Gunn also confirmed it yesterday with the character poster.

Pretty much looks like what an R rated James Gunn action/comedy would look like. 

I did think that a couple of the jokes didn’t quite land but I still laughed/chuckled a couple of times. King Shark is going to be the big breakout character. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I expected to laugh from a supposed comedy, but all the jokes were pretty bad. 

19 hours ago, Fielding said:

Looks great! Also, people's reactions never fail to amuse; I mean, exactly what kind of character development are you expecting for Harley Quinn??

I don't know...the kind that an Oscar-nominated, multi-award nominated actress wants and probably deserves?  She and Elba are still clearly in a different league than most of the other performers in this project.  

The question then is...was this a "contract" movie for Robbie?  I.E. was she kind of "forced" to do it because of a contract option when signing for the first one?  Possibly.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

The question then is...was this a "contract" movie for Robbie?  I.E. was she kind of "forced" to do it because of a contract option when signing for the first one?  Possibly.  

Nah, based on everything I've heard, she absolutely loves playing the character. I mean it does seem like the kind of character an actor would have fun playing and she seems pretty attached to it. Gunn said he's written a big role for her in the movie anyways so don't see what the problem here is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nah, based on everything I've heard, she absolutely loves playing the character. I mean it does seem like the kind of character an actor would have fun playing and she seems pretty attached to it. Gunn said he's written a big role for her in the movie anyways so don't see what the problem here is.

OK -- then they should show at least a snippet of that in the next trailer.  Because based on what I've seen so far, there's nothing interesting enough here to convince me to pay any extra fee to see this, and surely not to go to theaters.  

Edited by Macleod

6 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I don't know...the kind that an Oscar-nominated, multi-award nominated actress wants and probably deserves?  She and Elba are still clearly in a different league than any other performers in this project.  

Viola Davis,Peter Capaldi and Michael Rooker are in this movie too.

1 minute ago, efialtes76 said:

Viola Davis,Peter Capaldi and Michael Rooker are in this movie too.

Fair enough.  I edited my statement to say "most of".  Davis is on that tier.  These other two guys are great/entertaining, but I wouldn't put them on that tier.  But I know questions of "quality" don't come into play for most with a movie like this.  And yes, I know "Birds of Prey" kind of flopped, so Warners is clearly leaning into other angles right now for this.  But even BoP feels like it had more "style" than this.  We'll see...  

22 minutes ago, Macleod said:

OK -- then they should show at least a snippet of that in the next trailer.  Because based on what I've seen so far, there's nothing interesting enough here to convince me to pay any extra fee to see this, and surely not to go to theaters.  

Seems a bit harsh lol, I thought Robbie was good in that clip at the beginning of the trailer when they were there to save her, but to each their own. 

42 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

He tweeted the other day about how he’s been talking to Margot Robbie about what they could do in the future too, so that’s a pretty good sign that she’s happy with TSS and James Gunn’s treatment of the character. 

This is a trailer for an ensemble movie, we’re only going to get out of context snippets. It isn’t the “Harley show” this time either and after seeing James Gunn handle multiple characters in GOTG I’m sure each character will have a decent arc. The GOTG trailers didn’t exactly sell the arcs for any of the characters either outside maybe Peter Quill so I don’t think the lack of story beats for Harley in the trailer is anything to worry about.

• Like 1