kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

It didn't occur to me that Vixen could be used here like how BvS/CW utilized Wonder Woman/Black Panther and prime her for a solo film, but the idea sounds great. At the least, she needs to be included so that another charismatic actress of color like Letitia Wright can have a chance at being the next great find.

Yep.

I'm here for a Vixen movie, and SS2 could be a great way to intro her. By the way, whatever happened to the Gotham Sirens film?

5 hours ago, StevenG said:

Yep.

I'm here for a Vixen movie, and SS2 could be a great way to intro her. By the way, whatever happened to the Gotham Sirens film?

WB seems to be willing to entertain multiple ideas and to let those that gel the best move forward. So we've got several potential films for Harley Quinn, of which not all of them will work out. Since it seems they're taking a less continuity-heavy approach, that's fine, really.

For Sirens, I think Ayer has mostly moved on. I believe he's working on a sequel to Bright, which was critically lambasted, but did well for Netflix. The sequel isn't going to have Landis doing the screenplay, at least. If he's completely gone from the DC world, then Sirens would need a new creative team to shepherd it, which may take some time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And now news that Robbie is in negotiations to play Sharon Tate in Tarantino's upcoming film on the Manson Murders.

Schuduling is going to be interesting, now that Robbie, having won her spurs as a serious actress with "I,Tonya" is in heavy demand.

55 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And now news that Robbie is in negotiations to play Sharon Tate in Tarantino's upcoming film on the Manson Murders.

Scheduling is going to be interesting, now that Robbie, having won her spurs as a serious actress with "I,Tonya" is in heavy demand.

I imagine the cast availability is the main reason it's not been dated yet, I assume it's for February 2020. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is filming in the summer and SS2 is shooting in October so they'd be able to shoot other stuff without Margot first then the scenes with Margot once she is free from OUATIH although she's also got Mary Queen of Scots promo later in the year as well. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 8:03 PM, dudalb said:

I doubt that Vixen..or any other of the more obscure DC charecters..will get a solo film any time soon.

I love the way that the DC fans are in denial about the severe problems the DCU has.

I don't know who these hypothetical "DC fans" you name are, but as far as I am concerned, I am well aware of the clusterfuck that the DCEU has become. If not for the fact that they had a much-needed unqualified triumph with Wonder Woman, I would not have any hope, but I feel that if they keep their solo films relatively unencumbered by any mega-team/mega-crossover/mega event crap, they could feasibly release decent films that succeed. Wonder Woman proved that, if they play their cards right, they can make awesome stuff.

There's a chance that Aquaman turns out decently, and Shazam seems (in the little we have seen) like a step in the right direction.

Also, Shazam is as obscure as Vixen (let's not act as if he is some iconic property that everyone knows), and at this point, everyone knows that a superhero being well known or not doesn't necessarily impact the box office prospects...

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, StevenG said:

Maybe SS2 will introduce Vixen to the DCEU and she will be so popular that they finally give us the black superheroine solo film we need and deserve.

Reminds me of the rumblings years back we were going to get a CW live-action series but that chatter died once SUPERGIRL floundered on CBS and CW got their corporate orders to save it. Bummer. 

Still I respect somebody for suggesting a Vixen movie. Whether we'll get it or not (I doubt it but who knows?), I dig it because (1) everybody else including me had suggested a Stewart-fronted Green Lantern Corps movie or a Static Shock joint and (2) every time online I've suggested DCEU do a black solo superhero movie post-BP online....the feedback has been less than positive. So I appreciate somebody opening their minds up to the potential.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, A Roc in Time said:

WB seems to be willing to entertain multiple ideas and to let those that gel the best move forward. So we've got several potential films for Harley Quinn, of which not all of them will work out. Since it seems they're taking a less continuity-heavy approach, that's fine, really.

For Sirens, I think Ayer has mostly moved on. I believe he's working on a sequel to Bright, which was critically lambasted, but did well for Netflix. The sequel isn't going to have Landis doing the screenplay, at least. If he's completely gone from the DC world, then Sirens would need a new creative team to shepherd it, which may take some time.

I think its more WB moved on from Ayer than the other way around. I get the impression they couldn't make up their minds on where to put HQ thus we go from SS wrenched up in post so that she's spun off to her own thing to changing their minds and putting her back in SS2. Perhaps they were worried the sequel wouldn't do as well without her? (Honestly I don't blame them for wondering that.)

When they talked about how they're still doing GCS but its on the "backburner," reminds me of the spin Marvel Studios film folks sent out about the Inhumans movie after it got yanked off the schedule and well, we know ultimately what unfortunately happened there. 

16 hours ago, StevenG said:

I don't know who these hypothetical "DC fans" you name are, but as far as I am concerned, I am well aware of the clusterfuck that the DCEU has become. If not for the fact that they had a much-needed unqualified triumph with Wonder Woman, I would not have any hope, but I feel that if they keep their solo films relatively unencumbered by any mega-team/mega-crossover/mega event crap, they could feasibly release decent films that succeed. Wonder Woman proved that, if they play their cards right, they can make awesome stuff.

There's a chance that Aquaman turns out decently, and Shazam seems (in the little we have seen) like a step in the right direction.

Also, Shazam is as obscure as Vixen (let's not act as if he is some iconic property that everyone knows), and at this point, everyone knows that a superhero being well known or not doesn't necessarily impact the box office prospects...

As someone who loves many DC charecters, I hope the do get back on track.

But they cannot really afford to take chances right now. They need to go with the popular charecters,build up audience confidence to the point that Marvel Studiios has,then they can take a chance on an obscure character.

Notice that Marvel established a history of solid hits with well known charecters before they took a chance on GOTG and Black Panther.

As for Shazam , he is a better known character then Vixen to the G.A.

And they greenlit the Shazam film before BVS and JL openeda, and they were too far along in preproduction to cancel when JL opened and caused DC to put a lot of projects on hold. Guaranteed, Shazam would probably not be greenlit today.

Edited by dudalb

22 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine the cast availability is the main reason it's not been dated yet, I assume it's for February 2020. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is filming in the summer and SS2 is shooting in October so they'd be able to shoot other stuff without Margot first then the scenes with Margot once she is free from OUATIH although she's also got Mary Queen of Scots promo later in the year as well. 

FIlm Promos are not a big deal, you can schedule around them,simply shoot scenes not involving Robbie why she is doing her chores for Mary,Queen of Scots.

The role of Elixabeth I is going to be interesting...it the biggest challenge Robbie has taken on to date. A lot of actors who do well in modern roles fail when they do period pieced..particularly pre 19th century period roles. And she will be going up against the memories of some really good Elizabeths..Cate Blanchette for instance.

22 hours ago, RRA said:

I think its more WB moved on from Ayer than the other way around. I get the impression they couldn't make up their minds on where to put HQ thus we go from SS wrenched up in post so that she's spun off to her own thing to changing their minds and putting her back in SS2. Perhaps they were worried the sequel wouldn't do as well without her? (Honestly I don't blame them for wondering that.)

I'm glad she's back in the Suicide Squad. All those movies would be overexposure of the character. 

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

FIlm Promos are not a big deal, you can schedule around them,simply shoot scenes not involving Robbie why she is doing her chores for Mary,Queen of Scots.

The role of Elixabeth I is going to be interesting...it the biggest challenge Robbie has taken on to date. A lot of actors who do well in modern roles fail when they do period pieced..particularly pre 19th century period roles. And she will be going up against the memories of some really good Elizabeths..Cate Blanchett for instance.

To be fair to Robbie, she did Goodbye Christopher Robin which was a period piece though that was set in the early 20th century rather than 16th Century. 

54 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

Uh oh. So far they’ve not done exactly done a great job of juggling several things to pull stuff like this off. 

Of course I remember their mantra being post JL “one thing at a time

for now.” That lasted what a few months?

8 minutes ago, RRA said:

Uh oh. So far they’ve not done exactly done a great job of juggling several things to pull stuff like this off. 

Of course I remember their mantra being post JL “one thing at a time

for now.” That lasted what a few months?

It’s probably because Hodson wrote BOP and is also writing batgirl and they are apparently very happy with her work. 

As for SUICIDE SQUAD 2, clearly moving out of 2018 shoot. The move to go with BOP not only had a lot to do with Hodson's script but also the idea of doing with BATGIRL what Marvel did with Black Panther in CIVIL WAR by introducing them into universe before giving them own film

Or what they did for everyone except Superman recently, Harley Quin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Joker, Aquaman, etc... they all appeared before getting their own movie (or a plan to get one)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cax16 said:

It’s probably because Hodson wrote BOP and is also writing batgirl and they are apparently very happy with her work. 

Enough to postpone SS2 and course correct their plans for Harley again? Makes you wonder about that SS2 script if it really really needs more retooling for WB to put it on the back burner for now.

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

As for SUICIDE SQUAD 2, clearly moving out of 2018 shoot. The move to go with BOP not only had a lot to do with Hodson's script but also the idea of doing with BATGIRL what Marvel did with Black Panther in CIVIL WAR by introducing them into universe before giving them own film

Or what they did for everyone except Superman recently, Harley Quin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Joker, Aquaman, etc... they all appeared before getting their own movie (or a plan to get one)

Yeah it’s weird how WB insiders use that Marvel analogy to sell their new plans to Kroll. 

So Suicide Squad 2 ain’t happening now, in favor of Birds of Prey?

I just realized something. SS, the new “hit” property for DCEU that doesn’t get an actual sequel anytime soon this side of MAN OF STEEL? Whoa.