kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

The studio director and Rocksteady co-founder Jamie Walker was at a early screening yesterday but he deleted the tweet.

"Just seen Suicide Squad by James Gunn early (thanks to WB) and it's a beautiful riot of off-the-rails rollercoaster soaked in DC joy. Can't wait to see it on the big screen in all it's glory"

46 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Some critics have seen this in the UK at least cause they have TV spots showing up with review quotes already. Not sure if any critics have seen it in North America yet. 

This movie is really about to sneak up on me lol, it still feels like it's way off.

25 minutes ago, Lucas said:

This movie is really about to sneak up on me lol, it still feels like it's way off.

I’m pretty excited, I’m hoping theatres are finally open around me so it can be my first movie back. 

• Like 1

This is such a wildcard. I'm not sure the marketing has entirely caught on and Birds of Prey proved Harley herself is not a big enough draw to carry a movie. (I really liked Birds of Prey). DC is just very inconsistent in general and there's probably some confusion as to whether this is a sequel or not. This feels on paper something that SHOULD hit 100m but will probably do Shazam numbers?

I'm not concerned quality wise, however. I think the trailers are just bad. I know someone who attended a screening last year and loved it despite a choppy 1st act with some forced humor that didn't land. Expects it to be huge since it's a major crowdpleaser and plays well

It's also disappointing HBOMAX has ruined Thursday previews. Would have been a fun 7pm show

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

This is such a wildcard. I'm not sure the marketing has entirely caught on and Birds of Prey proved Harley herself is not a big enough draw to carry a movie. (I really liked Birds of Prey). DC is just very inconsistent in general and there's probably some confusion as to whether this is a sequel or not. This feels on paper something that SHOULD hit 100m but will probably do Shazam numbers?

I'm not concerned quality wise, however. I think the trailers are just bad. I know someone who attended a screening last year and loved it despite a choppy 1st act with some forced humor that didn't land. Expects it to be huge since it's a major crowdpleaser and plays well

It's also disappointing HBOMAX has ruined Thursday previews. Would have been a fun 7pm show

The biggest hurdle for this movie is people actually giving this a chance cause the first one was pretty bad. This is a movie where reception and word of mouth are pretty important imo. 

This movie might of opened to 100m in normal times domestically but it’s not getting anywhere near that now. I don’t think this movie is doing huge numbers worldwide, maybe $250-300m? I don’t even know tbh. In normal times I think this does really well domestically  but cause of Max it’s obviously going to hurt the box office quite a bit . And this is not getting a release a China. 

I think what’s most important for the movie is that reception is good and people want to see more of these characters/Gunn working on the property. WB has already given Gunn a spin off on Max so I assume they’re happy with the movie. 

• Like 1

i hope WB brings back thursday showings for this, want to see this asap, i don't understand why they haven't been doing any?? Disney has no qualms about them with their premiere access titles, having showtimes in theatres a few hours before going live on D+. 

I’m not expecting this to do very well at the box office, but I’m sure critics will like it. I already thought this movie had an uphill battle when BoP flopped. No way it would’ve opened to $100 million, even under normal circumstances. 

• Like 1

If WB was smart (iffy as always) they would understand TSS is fighting the same uphill battle BOP had. Even without the pandemic, this wouldn’t have done the same business as the first movie. If TSS is a winner, let that long term restore/add luster to the brand/characters. The fact they quickly went ahead with a Peacekeeper show is good sign of faith.

OTOH this is still WB. We all know how they are… 

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I already thought this movie had an uphill battle when BoP flopped. No way it would’ve opened to $100 million, even under normal circumstances. 

Didn't Birds of Prey simply underpreform rather than flop? It might have done slightly better if they didn't make the title too fancy/long for it's own good,

38 minutes ago, clockwork said:

Didn't Birds of Prey simply underpreform rather than flop? It might have done slightly better if they didn't make the title too fancy/long for it's own good,

84.5m budget. 201m WW gross. Doing the 2.5 rule with the marketing, it probably needed at least 211m.

84m domestic gross so WB brought in 42m. 117.7 internationally which is about 47. Give or take 90m total. They probably broke even/didn't lose a lot of money (which would have been the marketing cash) factoring in the ancillaries.  TheNumbers reports it made over 30m in video sales