Noctis

Rank the Harry Potter Films (2015 version)

I thought it was fine- and I definitely liked it more than I didn't as I at the least like all the potter films. It just didn't do much for me and I don't remember a lot of it. For me it middles in the B- range similar to OOTP.  All the other Potter films I like very much and I love DH2,POA, and DH1. So it's not a terrible ranking for Beasts.

I watched the original last night and I liked it a bit more than I originally did.  I still found it to be a lot of filler and it kind of lacks a plot, but it was more entertaining than I remember it being.

• Like 1

There's no HP I dislike so the worst one is still in the B range.

DH1 A

HBP A

DH2 A-

POA A-

COS B+

SS B+

GOF B

OOTP B-

With GOF and OOTP it's no one's fault but logistics (including aging of actors) and economics wouldn't them to be split, though they should have been.

If not in two parts each then at least 3 movies between GOF and OOTP.

I am glad that the last 3 HP movies (6,7,8) are in my top 3 - like to watch them as a trilogy.

Same for the first 3 (1,2,3) - that's another trilogy but to me a couple of notches below the 6-7-8 trio.

GOF and OOTP I don't care to re-watch except some scenes. They are re-watchable for sure, but just sadden me when I think of the possibilities and 'what ifs'.

And...FB1 B-

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, a2knet said:

There's no HP I dislike so the worst one is still in the B range.

DH1 A

HBP A

DH2 A-

POA A-

COS B+

SS B+

GOF B

OOTP B-

With GOF and OOTP it's no one's fault but logistics (including aging of actors) and economics wouldn't them to be split, though they should have been.

If not in two parts each then at least 3 movies between GOF and OOTP.

I am glad that the last 3 HP movies (6,7,8) are in my top 3 - like to watch them as a trilogy.

Same for the first 3 (1,2,3) - that's another trilogy but to me a couple of notches below the 6-7-8 trio.

GOF and OOTP I don't care to re-watch except some scenes. They are re-watchable for sure, but just sadden me when I think of the possibilities and 'what ifs'.

And...FB1 B-

Regarding Goblet and The Order I believe that they must be very good action films IF you haven't read the books.

Goblet a bit more maybe.

By If  you have read the books you cannot help but ask why all the time. 

I think that unlike most of the people I was more angry with The Goblet because I loved the book.

All in all though, I agree with you in most parts.

Bravo for liking COS more than SS as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Regarding Goblet and The Order I believe that they must be very good action films IF you haven't read the books.

Goblet a bit more maybe.

By If  you have read the books you cannot help but ask why all the time. 

I think that unlike most of the people I was more angry with The Goblet because I loved the book.

All in all though, I agree with you in most parts.

Bravo for liking COS more than SS as well!

COS and SS have an innocent and magical spirit. They are like Christmas movies. For actors that age, Columbus was a perfect director. 

The cast they picked, the sets, the cinematography, music, etc. everything started with those movies and I can easily appreciate them.

The way they realized Quidditch, the architecture and all that was perfect. Very nostalgic too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

1) SS

2) DH2

3) COS

4) GOF

5) OOP

6) DH1

7) POA

8) HBP

9) FB

Will you all manage to understand?

Depends.............

a. have you read the books?

b. where the hell do you get off!? 

;)

HBP and DH1 to me are the best. POA I find a little over-rated and have it at rank #4 out o thef 8 HP movies.

POA is brilliant in parts, damp in parts. So I can totally understand if someone likes SS, COS more than POA.

OOTP to me was a missed opportunity in many ways.

Probably I was spoiled by the scale of LOTRs but at some point was expecting HP to launch off to a new level and give an epic feel.

OOTP was that opportunity. I found both, the battle with Death Eaters and battle with Voldy, to be meh.

Things were way too rushed.

GOF too I can't get over abruptly cutting off the world cup and leaving some memorable parts out of the book.

Ideally GOF and OOTP together should have formed 3 movies...of POA, GOF and OOTP should have formed 4 movies with end of POA launching the start of GOF but that can get disorienting for non-book readers and can be a logistical/marketing/economical nightmare.

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Depends.............

a. have you read the books?

b. where the hell do you get off!? 

;)

HBP and DH1 to me are the best. POA I find a little over-rated and have it at rank #4 out o thef 8 HP movies.

POA is brilliant in parts, damp in parts. So I can totally understand if someone likes SS, COS more than POA.

OOTP to me was a missed opportunity in many ways.

Probably I was spoiled by the scale of LOTRs but at some point was expecting HP to launch off to a new level and give an epic feel.

OOTP was that opportunity. I found both, the battle with Death Eaters and battle with Voldy, to be meh.

Things were way too rushed.

GOF too I can't get over abruptly cutting off the world cup and leaving some memorable parts out of the book.

Ideally GOF and OOTP together should have formed 3 movies...of POA, GOF and OOTP should have formed 4 movies with end of POA launching the start of GOF but that can get disorienting for non-book readers and can be a logistical/marketing/economical nightmare.

I'm not really like HBP because too much of plot changing from book to movie,just to show teenage-romance.....

I do read the book, don't worry....

• Like 1

I am changing my mind every once in a while so here are some thoughts:

Rank based on which ones I enjoy/like the most:

1.) DH2

2.) DH1

3.) HBP

4.) GOF

5.) POA

6.) OOTP

7.) FBAWTFT

8.) COS

9.) SS

Rank based on how well they worked with the material they had from the books. (FB excluded of cource)

1.) PoA

2.) DH1+2

3.) SS

4.) COS

5.) HBP

6.) GOF

7.) OOTP

As you can see there are big differences between the 2 ranks. I think it is better to rank the movies this way considering that book adaptations are always limited from the book material.

If I have to choose between rewatching Sorcerer's Stone or Order of the Phoenix I would go with the latted but it is mainly because I believe the plot is far more intresting.

However, taking into account the book material, with SS they did a very good job while with OOTP they did a bad job.

1. DH2

2. POA

3. DH1

4. OOTP

5. GOF

6. COS

7. HBP

8. SS

9. FBAWTFT

Deathly Hallows 2 is a near perfect movie in my eyes. Not only was it made extremely well, but it's entertaining throughout and was a fantastic send-off.

Prisoner of Azkaban is definitely the best from a cinematic standpoint. AC is a fantastic director, and he made POA the first film to feel like more than just a book adaptation.

Deathly Hallows 1 may suffer for most from being a build-up movie, but I love it. I grew up loving Harry, Ron, and Hermione, so to see a film that just focuses on them is awesome, and all three actors had really come into their own at this point.

I didn't realize how much I loved Order of the Phoenix until I recently reread and rewatched the whole series. Of all the lengthy books in the series (minus DH), I think it does the best job of streamlining the plot to make sense as a movie. It's also the only one I like more than the book version. Sirius is so much more likable in the movie and the film does much better than the book at creating emotional payoff. Also Imelda Staunton made an incredibly hateable villain.

Goblet of Fire is probably the most entertaining film, as is expected of a story with three set pieces layed out in the premise, but the plot has some pacing issues, and it's not the best at adapting the book. Also, the Moody reveal was made way too obvious with that lip licking tick.

I don't get the hate for Chamber of Secrets. It may be the longest, but it doesn't feel obvious (and really it's only like 10 minutes longer than SS). It's a fun little mystery that felt suitable for both kids and adults, and it was great at adapting the book.

Don't hate me! I feel like Sorcerer's Stone is only good from a nostalgia standpoint. It just holds up the least in my eyes. It's kinda cheesy and it feels like the actors are just reading the book to you. Still entertaining of course, but I sometimes find myself laughing at moments I probably wasn't supposed to.

Half-Blood Prince suffers because it had no clue what it wanted to be. The book was a lot of context and backstory, so obviously that would be hard to work with, but they gave up so much of that. So many things were left unexplained (so what was the point of the Half Blood Prince subploy exactly?), and way too much focus was given to the teen romance subplots. And too many attempts at humor that didn't work. That said, well directed, well acted, well shot, and the final 30 minutes or so are fantastic.

Despite my criticisms, I still love all 8 HP movies. But I was so disappointed with Fantastic Beasts. First of all, the characters are boring. They have nothing on the HP characters personality wise, and I don't really care for any of them, minus Jacob, but only because he was pretty funny (the non-magic character really shouldn't be the best character in a film about magic). Second of all, the plot was unengaging. Every time it jumped back to Graves and Credence, I got bored until he just suddenly became an obscurus. Effects were good, but that's pretty much it. Rowling works better as a novelist because she allowed us to get to know Harry through his thoughts. Newt, Tina, Jacob, Queenie, etc. have no substance. Still gonna watch FB2, but I'm less excited than I was for FB1.

• Like 1