kayumanggi

BUMBLEBEE | 21 DECEMBER 2018 | The end of the Bayformers Universe

I thought this was a solid film with a lot of heart -- though, I have to confess, I will have to see it again to gauge how much of my reaction was based simply on finally having someone besides Bay make one of these.

It's odd.  The stuff on Cybertron, even though taking place in the equivalent of nighttime, was clear and fairly easy to follow, the climax of this film takes place at night and is lit in such a way that I had a hard time telling the combatants apart (which was probably the thing I disliked most about the Bay films).

Audience reacted well at my showing and there was scattered applause at the end.

The reason why I'm skeptical of some insane breakout here is that no review says this brings something new to the table. It's the best TF movie with lots of heart is what everyone is saying, but there's no "groundbreaking animation" (Spiderverse) or "Underwater LOTR" (Aquaman) type of novelty that I consider an extra factor that makes audience prioritize one praised movie over another. 

I see that Jumanji is thrown in as comparison but original Jumanji was made 20 or so years before The Rock's, so sequel did have a novelty factor for new generations, and that;s what MPR is banking on too. Bumblebee is coming out 2-3 years since the last TF and has the same universe and the same autobot character. I'm not underestimating the appeal of heart but 3 other movies that compete with this seem to have both heart and extra novelty factor. 

It will do well and if they kept budget in check sequel should be certain.

Edited by Valonqar

36 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

The reason why I'm skeptical of some insane breakout here is that no review says this brings something new to the table.

Even though it's ostensibly a Transformers film, I would say Bumblebee is not targeting the same audience as the Bay films (which I would say was teen boys and those who enjoy stuff targeted at that demographic).

Bumblebee is much more a family adventure film and made for that audience (with some obvious loving pandering to fans of the original series).  

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2018/12/ralph-breaks-the-internet-the-favourite-emma-stone-rachel-weisz-weekend-box-office-1202516270/

Paramount’s Bumblebee also held paid 7PM sneaks last night at 325 theaters. We hear that seats began to sell out as the night drew near. Given the amount of theaters that Bumblebee was playing out, it’s sneak B.O. is not at the $1M-plus level as Sony’s Amazon-promoted launches of Jumanji 2 ($1.86M) and Hotel Transylvania 3 ($1.3M) only because those titles previewed at 1,000-plus major circuit theaters. Bumblebee holds its Hollywood premiere tonight.

For those not in the know, Lindsay Ellis is a humongous Transformers fan and made an entire YouTube series about all forms of film theory and study applied to the Bayformers flicks. She's really talented and one of the few movie reviewers on YouTube who is actually smart and knows what she's talking about. Her seal of approval ensures that I have to see it now.

btw watch her videos, they're really good https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJGOq3JclTH8J73o2Z4VMaSYZDNG3xeZ7

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

For those not in the know, Lindsay Ellis is a humongous Transformers fan and made an entire YouTube series about all forms of film theory and study applied to the Bayformers flicks. She's really talented and one of the few movie reviewers on YouTube who is actually smart and knows what she's talking about. Her seal of approval ensures that I have to see it now.

btw watch her videos, they're really good https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJGOq3JclTH8J73o2Z4VMaSYZDNG3xeZ7

Been watching her since her Nostalgia Chick days but didn't know she was a proper Transformers fan.

Also, watch her PBS show on youtube: It's Lit.

30 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Get Woke, Go Broke.

this slogan is a favourite of all the alt-right weirdos on twitter and youtube. futurist usually you're not this obvious about it. and it's been shown to be... not true. and idek what's meant to be "woke" about this?

• Like 5