kayumanggi

BUMBLEBEE | 21 DECEMBER 2018 | The end of the Bayformers Universe

On 12/10/2018 at 2:33 AM, nature league - matrix said:

hotness in movies?  hotness is movies?  so lust will market this better w/ Hailee... 

what if lust was replaced w/ a fully clothed Emma Watson in this role, would she receive hate?  would she receive anger?

maybe one's favorite action movie could have CGI trimmed from it to discipline the senses of the brain.  

do the men who this movie targets want to have her, or do they want to be her?  I saw Edge of 17 I think on a stream right before the Globes but I meandered past it due to age differences.  I think I only turned 30, but after growing up with so many favorite heroines in movies I learned to do doctor vision with the current tweeny-bopper stuff with bedroom wall posters to grow around, and generations hence

I think you might be overthinking this a little bit. Can't men have some eye candy for themselves? There's a lot of women who only go to see films just for movie stars too (hell, Aquaman is likely gonna have a huge female base thanks to Momoa alone). And for the record, I'm not judging, I'm just saying how things are. Of course hotness doesn't make a movie good on its own right (at least for the most part), and we as cinephiles obviously like to see good movies as wholes, but c'mon, we're all human beings and the appeal that a movie has is pretty subjective to each individual person.

And of course Emma Watson wouldn't recieve hate, and she would probably be a more commercially attractive name. It's just that, for me personally, I'd much rather see Hailee..... AND see her act too (by a long shot a better actress imo).

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PANDA said:

I figured this would get the best reviews of the franchise, but a 96% is really nice.  Looks odd to see such a fresh score next to a transformers movie.

If you were to add the rating of films 2-4 it only equals 87%.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

54 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Decided to just check a few of the AMCs by me for presales and so far they're not looking too great. Kind of surprised but maybe it'll be walk-up heavy/increase over this week and the next.

Problem is that Aquaman and MPR will take away a lot of the walk in audience.

It is getting really good reviews, but Paramount might have made a mistake in opening it against such heavy competition. On a date with less competition, they might be looking at a big hit. Now a modest success is probably the best case scenario because of the competition.

• Like 1

I gotta tell you what I just saw while watching The Voice tonight.

There was a special advert for this film that just played during the commercials; in it, Hailee Steinfeld was talking directly to the viewer. She was talking about how people might feel find their voice, and coming from humble beginnings, and more positive things like that. It showed footage of the film, too.

That was a very cool advert in my opinion. Very down-to-earth, just like the Amblin-esque tone the film is going for. Hopefully, the advert is able to influence families to see the film.

Edit: Now Hailee is one the actual Voice stage, singing the original song from the film! It's a nice song, too!

Edited by Slambros
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Problem is that Aquaman and MPR will take away a lot of the walk in audience.

It is getting really good reviews, but Paramount might have made a mistake in opening it against such heavy competition. On a date with less competition, they might be looking at a big hit. Now a modest success is probably the best case scenario because of the competition.

I think from Paramount's POV it'll be enough to successfully reboot the franchise although I think they should have delayed it. 

23 hours ago, filmlover said:

It’s clear as day Michael Bay has been the biggest liability against these movies this whole time. 

Only took them five films to realise.

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Only took them five films to realise.

I think they fully realized early enough what it meant to have Bay transformer movies in term of critical reception.

But Hasbro and Paramount had the eye on the real important reception (money) and Bay had quite the giant success for them.

• Like 1

Well out of the December releases I've seen the most advertising for Bumblebee. Though the Aquaman and Spidey ones I've seen more for as of late. (I actually have not seen anything for Poppins surprisingly)

I still think either this or Aquaman should of moved. They are likely going to kill each other.

5 hours ago, Mulder said:

Decided to just check a few of the AMCs by me for presales and so far they're not looking too great. Kind of surprised but maybe it'll be walk-up heavy/increase over this week and the next.

I think it’s possible to that the last four movies have soiled any good will that used to exist for the franchise.  I’m not sure the glowing tomatoscore can save it, especially with heavy competition.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mulder said:

First of all, TF movies have always been walkup heavy.

That said, over on a message board for my favorite sports team, a question was asked regarding the upcoming Christmas movies, and Bumblebee did not fare so well.

slightly long text:

Spoiler

These are likely to be the 5 biggest movies this coming Christmas season: Aquaman, Bumblebee, Holmes & Watson, Mary Poppins Returns, and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

6. Of those 5, which are you looking forward to the most?
Aquaman - 20
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 18
Holmes & Watson - 8
Mary Poppins Returns - 2
Bumblebee - 1

7. Of those 5, which are you looking forward to the second most?
Aquaman - 18
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 15
Bumblebee - 8
Holmes & Watson - 5
Mary Poppins Returns - 3

8. Of those 5, which are you looking forward to the third most?
Holmes & Watson - 24
Bumblebee - 10
Mary Poppins Returns - 9
Aquaman - 3
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 3

9. Of those 5, which are you looking forward to the fourth most?
Bumblebee - 19
Holmes & Watson - 12
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 8
Aquaman - 6
Mary Poppins Returns - 4

10. Of those 5, which are you looking forward to the least?
Mary Poppins Returns - 30
Bumblebee - 11
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 4
Aquaman - 2
Holmes & Watson - 2

Obviously this is 1 million percent unscientific. It's 90% male and 90% over 25, or at least over 20.

But it is 50 random non-movie people, and honestly, you'd think "sportsdoodz" is a halfway decent audience for a Transformers movie.

The fact that it's definitively behind Aquaman, a Spider-Man cartoon, and Holmes & Watson is certainly worrying for it's box office prospects.

Hopefully the good reviews will help, but if people decided a few years ago that they're done with TF, then the fact that there are 4 other legitimate movie-going options for people to choose from could prevent them from giving Bumblebee a chance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PANDA said:

I’m not sure the glowing tomatoscore can save it, especially with heavy competition.

The thing about the great reviews for Bumblebee is that while they might be the best ever for the TF franchise, they're still going to be behind Spider-Man and likely Mary Poppins.

So the good reviews might not even help that much. If random moviegoer sits down and looks at the reviews to pick a movie, they're still going to pick Into The Spider-Verse or Mary Poppins ahead of Bumblebee.

Bumblebee's best hope is word of mouth. It's not going to open anywhere near as big as Aquaman, but maybe good wom can spread and it'll have a nice period between Christmas and New Years. 

Perhaps good legs and wom and critical reception and a decent showing on home video will be enough to get them to continue the non-Bay-TF-verse.

• Like 2