kayumanggi

THE CURRENT WAR: DIRECTORS CUT | Oct 25 2019 | 101 Studios | Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon, Katherine Waterston, Nicholas Hoult, Tom Holland

This is out in UK cinemas in two weeks?! One of the actors was interviewed on a British movie podcast yesterday and I was confused, because usually the show gets stars on the promo tour when the film is about to come out, and it's being released in October here in the US. I guess we'll see if the new cut goes over better with critics soon enough.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2019-07-08/the-current-war-cinema-release-date-cast-plot-trailer-benedict-cumberbatch/

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

41 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Lol. I thought this movie already had a wide release. Fail.

You probably thought that because the film is quite old, it was made several years ago, it's a Weinstein production from 2016.

I still think that with a cast a strong as this, the only way this gets stuck on a shelf for two years is if it really turned out badly.

Ironically enough, a major new Biography of Edison by Edmond Morris (who won a Pultizer prize for his biography of Theodore Roosevelt) is going be be published in October.

Whoever put together the most recent trailer did a really good job, because the film looks much better than it used to. It might do pretty good going wide, but 101 studios is a new distributor, so we'll see what they can achieve. I'm rooting for this.

Edited by SLAM!

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Did we know this is now The Current War: Director's Cut?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_current_war_directors_cut

Technically that's true, but said cut was the one released in the UK this summer, was it not, the new reviews were still meh and it flopped.

I actually saw a TV spot the other day calling it that and had to laugh.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Great to hear the director had the chance to do another cut, hope it gets at least decent reviews

Come to think of it, that's actually much more significant than it seems; Weinstein was notorious for making 'safe' cuts. A film like The Current War getting what is likely to be a better cut is a great nail in the coffin to Weinstein's grip on the industry. One of many nails in the coffin. 

• Like 1

My apologies for the double post, but I just found this Deadline interview with the director of this film. The director talks about Harvey Weinstein, what it was like to have Martin Scorsese and Timur Bekmambetov as producers on the film, and how he thought his career would be over when Weinstein's cut premiered at TIFF in 2017. Great read.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/alfonso-gomez-rejon-the-current-war-erasing-harvey-weinstein-cut-new-rotten-tomatoes-score-benedict-cumberbatch-michael-shannon-1202760319/

Edited by SLAM!

On 10/16/2019 at 3:57 PM, SLAM! said:

My apologies for the double post, but I just found this Deadline interview with the director of this film. The director talks about Harvey Weinstein, what it was like to have Martin Scorsese and Timur Bekmambetov as producers on the film, and how he thought his career would be over when Weinstein's cut premiered at TIFF in 2017. Great read.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/alfonso-gomez-rejon-the-current-war-erasing-harvey-weinstein-cut-new-rotten-tomatoes-score-benedict-cumberbatch-michael-shannon-1202760319/

Interesting.

I hope this has an unexpectedly good little run at the box office, similar to the frequently postponed Alpha.

• Like 1