kayumanggi

THE CURRENT WAR: DIRECTORS CUT | Oct 25 2019 | 101 Studios | Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon, Katherine Waterston, Nicholas Hoult, Tom Holland

Movie's pretty good. Could've used another hour as the story is an epic one and comes off a bit rushed in its sub-2 hour run time. Cumberbatch, Shannon, and Hoult are all quite good, but I wonder what this could've been with a better, more experienced filmmaker. 

This cast is amazing. Cumberbatch, Shannon, Hoult, and Holland are all great GREAT actors. 

edit: Katherine Waterston is in this too? Ugh I wish it were playing near me, it's definitely something right up my alley (underlooked period pieces are great... looking forward to Harriet). 

Edited by DAJK

On 10/24/2019 at 11:39 PM, DAJK said:

This cast is amazing. Cumberbatch, Shannon, Hoult, and Holland are all great GREAT actors. 

edit: Katherine Waterston is in this too? Ugh I wish it were playing near me, it's definitely something right up my alley (underlooked period pieces are great... looking forward to Harriet). 

Yeah the cast screams quality all around. I do wish I had the opportunity to see it. I suspect this will be the type of film that will go to Netflix fairly quickly (assuming it has a very short theatrical run).

Is this even playing in Canada? I don't know if it's a glitch on the Cineplex website but I couldn't find showtimes for it on any of the biggest theatres in the nation that I checked (didn't check every single one obviously). I feel like Tulip Fever two years ago was another example of a delayed Weinstein film that never showed theatrically in Canada.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

Yeah the cast screams quality all around. I do wish I had the opportunity to see it. I suspect this will be the type of film that will go to Netflix fairly quickly (assuming it has a very short theatrical run).

Is this even playing in Canada? I don't know if it's a glitch on the Cineplex website but I couldn't find showtimes for it on any of the biggest theatres in the nation that I checked (didn't check every single one obviously). I feel like Tulip Fever two years ago was another example of a delayed Weinstein film that never showed theatrically in Canada.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t, it’s playing absolutely NOWHERE near me

13 hours ago, DAJK said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t, it’s playing absolutely NOWHERE near me

It's a shame, but again, somewhat to be expected. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't content to catch it on streaming.

• Like 1

Have to admit, this didn't do TOO badly. Had an opening of $2.63M with a PTA of $2,577. I know I'm setting the bar REALLY low here but I honestly thought this would have a disastrous debut of under $1M or something. That seems like a small difference, but around a $1,000 PTA is a lot different than over $2,500.