kayumanggi

THE CURRENT WAR: DIRECTORS CUT | Oct 25 2019 | 101 Studios | Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon, Katherine Waterston, Nicholas Hoult, Tom Holland

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:08 PM, tribefan695 said:

Saw the trailer. Stuffy biopics are still stuffy biopics even when they're embellished with music video editing and wide establishing shots

This film looks like crap,but saying all biopics are stuffy is a big much.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

That good, eh?

is there no end to the suffering that Weinstein inflicts on others?

It's not unwatchable but it really brings nothing interesting to the table. Its narrative is a total mess, it doesn't really know what it's trying to say and there's all sorts of dumb subplots that have no business being in the film. 

Michael Shannon was great though. Everyone else was sleepwalking. 

Wall Street Journal Reports the the Weinstein company board is seriously considering just pulling the plug on the company and sell off it's assets. If true,probably the best thing to do. Company certainly seems doomed at this point. It was in poor shape before the scandals hit, and it appears to be a dead company walking....

Brand new cut of the film will see light of day thanks to....Scorsese. Really interesting story

http://deadline.com/2019/04/the-current-war-alfonso-gomez-rejon-harvey-weinstein-martin-scorsese-101-studios-edison-westinghouse-battle-film-deal-1202586812/

tl;dr - Weinstein made the director rush a cut for TIFF where it got panned (33% on RT to date), Weinstein made his own cut after that then the whole thing as we know happened and TWC's new owners were gonna release it internationally...but then Scorsese steps in and the new owners give the director money for reshoots and recut

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I saw this like 2 years ago.. its bad lol

Its' a whole new edit, but from what I have read about the film, no amount of recutting is going to make it into a good film.

And , frankly, I find it highly unlikely that a film with a cast like this would sit on the shelf for two years if it was anygood.

I could be wrong, but it looks like one of thost films, that, despite a lot of talent involved, is a total misfire.

Edited by dudalb

Wait, so what role is Scorsese actually playing? Is he going to be credited as a co-director or something if he's putting this much work into it? Or just an editor? Or am I overstating his role a bit much here?

Either way, I hope this turns out better than I've heard. This really is a fascinating story, and I really like the cast. 

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Wait, so what role is Scorsese actually playing? Is he going to be credited as a co-director or something if he's putting this much work into it? Or just an editor? Or am I overstating his role a bit much here?

Either way, I hope this turns out better than I've heard. This really is a fascinating story, and I really like the cast. 

It is a fascinating story...ifthey can avoid making it "good guy (Telsa) vs Bad Guy (Edison)" simplistic story, but I am not confident.

I could name a lot of fascinating Historical events that got messed up completely by filmmakers.

Youtube:

Already looks more interesting than the first trailer. It has five new scenes but is apparently 10 minutes shorter than the cut that played Toronto in 2017. Way more focus on Tesla in this trailer than the other one, I wonder if that was always the plan or if this new cut emphasizes him more.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1