#ED

Weekend Official Estimates: SA 53.2m, PP 14.4m, TL 13.8m, MMFR 13.6m, AOU 10.9m, Aloha 10m

Dante's Peak > the stinkers that have been released from Roland Emmerich's bottom.

(i.e. all of his films)

Edited by Treeth Simanton

So I have to agree with Baumer. I'm sorry, but: San Andreas was more thrilling than Mad Max. San Andreas actually raised my blood pressure. Maybe because it was more realistic and seeing 800 foot buildings roar and topple on a huge screen just impacts me more than sexy fights in a desert or in a large tornado, which I'll never see in real life. Not to slight Max, its still the better movie, but San An is the better ride to me.

etc...

Yeah, but you haven't finished Mad Max ;)

I'll probably try out San Andreas; seems like it's getting raves on these boards

I'm waiting for my Pacific Northwest disaster epic. Subduction zone, volcanos, tsunamis. Yeah, man. Come flatten Seattle.

Apart from one good shot of the Space Needle collapsing, there really aren't many other familiar structures you can show being destroyed to really sell the movie to everyone not from the area. Maybe we will see the space needle as one of the landmarks destroyed in the next disaster movie.

I think the next big "Global extinction level event in today's world" movie is probably Pixels, and that handles the disaster event in a comic fashion which is probably a really good idea considering everyone else has gone full serious with it.

Gonna watch Jurassic Park 2 for the first time; hail Jurassic World

I'm watching for the first time as well right now (I'm almost done)

I like it. Not great but entertaining for sure. The set piece in the middle of the film is glorious.

• Like 2

If you like disaster movies, San Andreas has a lot of it without much break and is played completely straight.

I thought it was the best comedy movie of the year, I absolutely lost it in that last minute or two with the over the top patriotism and burst out laughing.

I love most disaster movies as well. Except The Core. Fuck that ugly shit.

See guys, we are not optimistic. We totally love the apocalypse. We are all gonna die in a few days. Be optimistic guys. Stop thinking and loving apocalyptic events and dystopian futures. Fuck those damn Hunger Games and Divergent and Mad Max and San Andreas movies. #Optimism

Only a few people will understand this  :ph34r:

So, David Nix was right, is what you're saying.

• Like 1

My dad used to be a volcanologist* so I have, like, a significant chunk of Mount St Helen's in my garage.

*my dad is Pierce Brosnan

But do you have a scale model of Devils Tower taking up your living room?

• Like 2

Best scene in JP2 doesn't even involve dinosaurs. It's when Julianne Moore falls on the glass (windshield?) of the car while it's suspended in the air and the glass slowly starts to crack. Good suspense. 

Spielberg knows his Hitchcock and he knows how to build suspense and tension in his action.