grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

I'm not quite as bullish as BKB on this but I'm not far behind.  Shark movies have always done well.  Even the smaller ones like The Shallows managed to get people out to see it.  If MEG is marketed as a serious blockbuster, not a cheesy production like Deep Blue Sea, I think this could be a massive hit.  Again, I'm not saying it will do 150 OW, but if they can market it correctly I think it can do very very well.

wonder if this will be R rated

also wonder if this is a serious man vs nature movie like Jaws or The Ghost and the Darkness or The Edge or a tongue in cheek type of one like Anaconda and Deep Blue Sea or Lake Placid. Probably the latter 

Edited by John Marston

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

wonder if this will be R rated

also wonder if this is a serious man vs nature movie like Jaws or The Ghost and the Darkness or The Edge or a tongue in cheek type of one movie like Anaconda and Deep Blue Sea. Probably the latter 

If they are sinking a serious budget into this, I doubt they go the cheese route.

3 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

I think cheese is all but unavoidable, whether they intend it or not.

But that's the key.  There's cheese in Jurassic World as well.  But it still maintained the same kind of atmosphere as the original, regardless of how much you hate it Tele. :)

1 hour ago, baumer said:

But that's the key.  There's cheese in Jurassic World as well.  But it still maintained the same kind of atmosphere as the original, regardless of how much you hate it Tele. :)

Using JW is not a great example to convince me. :P 

But talking about box-office possibilities, JW leaned heavily on nostalgia for that specific series (above and beyond general interest in dinosaurs). MEG can't rely on that, and I think no matter how well done it is, it's going to suffer from the fact we've seen these sorts of movies a billion times. Inevitably there's gonna be a fair amount of time where we just have to sit through the story beats that we all know are coming.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Using JW is not a great example to convince me. :P 

But talking about box-office possibilities, JW leaned heavily on nostalgia for that specific series (above and beyond general interest in dinosaurs). MEG can't rely on that, and I think no matter how well done it is, it's going to suffer from the fact we've seen these sorts of movies a billion times. Inevitably there's gonna be a fair amount of time where we just have to sit through the story beats that we all know are coming.

I don't think this movie is gonna be big.  It feels like a B list movie given a bigger push cause...something soething Jurassic World Furious movies ...that's the pitch, and The Rock was busy.

And this bothers me none.  I don't need Meg 2.  Let's just Turteltaub can deliver on the OTT stupidity and giant monster Shark v Statham I want from this movie.  Turteltaub, don't try too hard.  Just go with it.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

If theres not an play on "Your gonna need a bigger boat" Ill be upset.

Id love to see Statham say "Smile you son of bitch" too

For some reason...if Statham just quotes Jaws in his signature voice than makes his face...I'll be happy.

Of course I'm the guy who wants Statham to be the Genie in Disney's Aladdin remake.

• Like 4

On 4/20/2017 at 2:41 AM, Jay Hollywood said:

If theres not an play on "Your gonna need a bigger boat" Ill be upset.

They already just did it in Fast 8 (at least in the trailer, don't know if it made the movie), there is a "We're gonna need a bigger truck" when the submarine get out of the water.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yandereprime101189 said:
  Hide contents

The ending in which the main character rams a sub down the shark's gullet, crawls out and cuts out its heart? If it was in the film, it would be a big talk about movie after people have seen it. As in, Oh My God, did you see that?!?!?

That. Sounds. Fucking. Amazing