grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

1 hour ago, John Rambo said:

Curious about this movies performance. I've seen predictions for this in this forum. 

Some had 100M+ gross and OW of 30+. 

I have a question here. Chinese -USA productions tend to bomb domestically. The Great Wall had decent gross due to matt damon but this one has Statham who is not a draw at all in NA. 

Is this based on some popular book due to which the predictions were high?

I think 100m+ dom expectations can be attributed to appreciation of WB's marketing prowess and their success with Godzilla and Skull Island (which also had good legs unlike Godzilla). Both did well over 150m dom and 500m WW.

If it's well received, I feel Meg can do 100m Dom, 100m+ China along with 200m OS-China for 400m+ WW if not more.

On the very optimistic end I think 150m Dom, 150m+ China and 300m OS-China for 600m+ WW.

Edited by a2knet

21 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think 100m+ dom expectations can be attributed to appreciation of WB's marketing prowess and their success with Godzilla and Skull Island (which also had good legs unlike Godzilla). Both did well over 150m dom and 500m WW.

If it's well received, I feel Meg can do 100m both Dom and China along with 200m OS-China for 400m WW if not more.

On the very optimistic end I think 150m Dom, 150m China and 300m OS-China for 600m WW.

Yeh Meg is unknown though. Godzilla and King Kong are movie icons from the beginning of time lol. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh Meg is unknown though. Godzilla and King Kong are movie icons from the beginning of time lol. 

i know. lol. that's why i went with 100 dom, 100 china, 200 os-ch for 400 instead of 550 and added 'if it's well reieved'. lol. and reserved 600 ww for the 'very optimistic end' lol.

3 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Bra, its Jason Statham vs a Shark, if its not stupid, that means its gonna be awful. They cant take this super serious. 

But you're looking at it from a completely camp point of view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

But you're looking at it from a completely camp point of view.

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

Super serious/'realistic' or super camp/stupid don't have to be the only two options here. 

This film could end up being a fun, serious-but-not-entirely-humorless adventure/thriller/horror (it does have horror elements, right?)

Never said it had to be completely campy. You just have to know the move your making. You have to some stupid stuff in it. 

You cant treat this like Bourne or some oscar movie or a serious action film. This movie has to have fun, it has to be serious but embrace the overtop ness of the plot to some extent. 

The Jaws tone with a shark 3 times the size wouldn't work what so ever. it would amen this movie trash. For fucks sakes the leads are Statham and Fang bling Ring or whatever.

No serious movie has Jason Statham one liners. And if this doesn't have a fucking Jason Staham one liner then why they fuck are they making a Meg movie with him in it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

Does this still cost $150 million?

If true and if net it is impressive.

US dollar gave you in New zealand dollar over the year's

2012 1.234992
2013 1.219952
2014 1.205947
2015 1.434907
2016 1.436486
2017 1.397785

And New Zealand has a 20% cash rebate on qualified expenditure (not a tax credit you need to sell to someone at a price, real cash), that would mean an around 220 million gross production in the pre exchange rate drop, around Dawn of the Planet of the apes budget.

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I hope Statham gets to punch the shark in the face in this. Otherwise what's the point. 

Not sure a 70 foot shark would feel the punch, but it is no ordinary punch I guess.

Edited by Bishop54
  • Like 1