grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/chinese-star-fan-bingbing-joins-894653?utm_source=

Chinese actress Fan Bingbing, who appeared in X-Men: Days of Future Past, has joined Jason Statham in Meg, the creature feature being made by Warner Bros. Pictures and Chinese company Gravity Pictures.

At the same time, Warners has set a March 2, 2018 release date for the feature, which will be directed Jon Turteltaub, best known as helmer of the National Treasure movies. Gravity will distribute the film in China while Warners releases it throughout the rest of the world.

Jamie Vanderbilt wrote the latest script for the project, which has been swimming upstream for 20 years in order to get adapted. It centers on a Carcharodon Megalodon, the 70-foot, 40-ton prehistoric kin to the great white shark.

The studio put forth the plot of Meg as such:

An international underwater observation program, led by Chinese scientists, is under attack by an unknown danger, and its deep-sea submersible lies disabled and trapped at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.  With time running out, former Naval Captain and expert deep sea diver Jonas Taylor (Statham) is recruited by Dr. Zhang Suyin, lead oceanographer of the program, for what is likely a suicide mission. 

Years before, Taylor had encountered this same terrifying threat, which forced him to abort his mission and abandon half his crew, resulting in disgrace and a dishonorable discharge.  Now, Taylor must confront his fears and risk his own life to save everyone trapped below…bringing him face to face once more with the apex predator of all time.

• Like 1

I've been wanting this movie to be made for years.  I guess it's finally time for me to read the book.  I'm not sure why Roth left but Turtletaub is good as well.  I hope they do this right.  Shark movies are awesome and they are so much fun.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I've been wanting this movie to be made for years.  I guess it's finally time for me to read the book.  I'm not sure why Roth left but Turtletaub is good as well.  I hope they do this right.  Shark movies are awesome and they are so much fun.

Im guessing the studio finally got around to watch his movies.

And I like Roth!  But...yeah.  Not at that price.

1 minute ago, kowhite said:

Im guessing the studio finally got around to watch his movies.

And I like Roth!  But...yeah.  Not at that price.

Well, there are tons of directors who were given huge budgets and they had no real experience with big budgets...Treverrow, Whedon for Avengers, The Wachowskis when they did the Matrix....Spielberg when he did Jaws and you can keep going down the list.  Roth is a fine director imo and I think he could have done something interesting with this film.

15 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Well, there are tons of directors who were given huge budgets and they had no real experience with big budgets...Treverrow, Whedon for Avengers, The Wachowskis when they did the Matrix....Spielberg when he did Jaws and you can keep going down the list.  Roth is a fine director imo and I think he could have done something interesting with this film.

Yeah well, I'm just dealing with the fact I was excited to see Roth do this.  Cause I was.  So, I just put on my "if I were a Hollywood suit!" Hat and feel...better?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Yeah well, I'm just dealing with the fact I was excited to see Roth do this.  Cause I was.  So, I just put on my "if I were a Hollywood suit!" Hat and feel...better?

Yep...much better. :)

But since we aren't getting Roth...Turteltaub, just hire Nic Cage.  For something, anything, let him voice the fucking shark.  And make the Sharks face look like Nic Cage.

Seriously these are good ideas.

• Like 3