grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Even Dwayne Johnson's flop SkyScraper opened better than all of Statham's films sans The Meg. 

Not sure what it say that even a 125m budget studio release with a giant marketing campaign movie staring Dwayne Johnson in a perfect vehicule for him with a proven high concept did open higher than all of Statham film ?

What is last movie that should have openned near to a project like that ? Is last studio release was 10 year's ago and not a really good one and not a big budget either.

The Meg could have easily openned at 25m, explanation of why it did so well can be multiple, to simply say the casting had nothing to do require some argumentation.

Imagine Valerian with a different male lead, say one of the Chris.

Say that it would have openned at 24m/72 (3.0x) instead of 17m/41m (2.45x) in that world, we would have people saying not only that this Chris had nothing to do in that over 200m production space adventure movie making 24/72 instead of just a 17m/41m, but that it is fault it went so low.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TombRaider said:

lol. this dude's had like 10 movies where he leads and they barely do 20m dom

15 The Bank Job LGF $30,060,660 1,613 $5,935,256 1,603 3/7/08
16 The Mechanic CBS $29,121,498 2,704 $11,422,006 2,703 1/28/11
17 Crank LGF $27,838,408 2,515 $10,457,367 2,515 9/1/06
18 The Transporter Fox $25,296,447 2,610 $9,107,816 2,573 10/11/02
19 Killer Elite ORF $25,124,966 2,986 $9,352,008 2,986 9/23/11
20 WAR LGF $22,486,409 2,277 $9,820,089 2,277 8/24/07
21 Mechanic: Resurrection LG/S $21,218,403 2,258 $7,456,525 2,258 8/26/16
22 Homefront ORF $20,158,898 2,570 $6,915,241 2,570 11/27/13
23 Parker FD $17,616,641 2,238 $7,008,222 2,224 1/25/13
24 Safe (2012) LGF $17,142,080 2,271 $7,892,539 2,266 4/27/12
25 Crank: High Voltage LGF $13,684,249 2,223 $6,963,565 2,223 4/17/09

I thought the numbers in bold were OW numbers, only to find out they were domestic total numbers. :bagoverhead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I agree, had it starred anyone else, it probably opened just as well, maybe even better.

So if it starred say Charlie Hunman, Ansel Elgort, Miles Teller, or Jude Law you're willing to bet this movie would have opened even better?

I don't think anyone here is claiming Jason Statham is some box office draw. I mean his box office results speak for themselves and yes most of them aren't pretty. But the reality is, and I emphasize this a lot, that now a days it's not necessarily about just the star. Its about whether the actor/actress is appealing in the role that they've taken/how well they sell the role they take on. It's why we have an actor/actress have a box office hit with one film and then a box office flop the next. So maybe if another action star would have taken on the role, it could have had a similar opening but to claim had it starred anyone else it would have had a similar opening is imo insanity. 

I do believe some actors/actresses have a bit of drawing power especially when it comes to catering to certain audiences but the reality is that putting the right actor/actress in the correct role matters and no way no how would the names I mentioned above be able to open this movie to $40M+. No one wants to see any of them battle The Meg. Warner Bros wouldn't know how to sell any of them battling The Meg. Therefore, The Meg starring anyone of those men, would not open how well The Meg did with Statham. Statham played a role in how well this movie did at the box office. Does that make him a box office draw? No. Should he suddenly be demanding $20M a film? No. But it does mean that in the correct role, Statham is a good sell to the general public. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TombRaider said:

lol. this dude's had like 10 movies where he leads and they barely do 20m dom

The Meg was No. 1 in 34 markets, No. 1 across Europe and Latin America and No. 1 in nearly all Asian hubs outside China. It’s performing very well against comps like Rampage, Geostorm, London Has Fallen, Into The Storm, White House Down, Skyscraper and San Andreas in most plays

Spain was also a No. 1 bow with $2.4M from 307, surpassing Rampage by 87% and San Andreas by 115%.

Mexico caught $1.5M on 2,123 screens for a dominant No. 1 and surpassing nearly all of the comps including more than doubling Geostorm and coming in 62% ahead of Rampage.

Italy took the bait, bowing as WB’s best opening day of the year with $569K on 363 screens and 75% of the Top 5 movies. It further doubled launch-day results of White House Down, London Has Fallen, Rampage

Germany grossed $361K at 557 screens, slotting 2nd. Results are close to 50% ahead of Pacific Rim: Uprising and San Andreas. 

Numbers dont lie and this movie is comping way ahead of typical Rock actioner

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Completely agree with @Barnack  and @Nova, Statham isn't a boxoffice draw by any stretch of the world but he was essential in selling this movie. People knew him as the uber-macho guy that does silly b-action movies even before the F&F franchise, they just didn't watch those movies in theatres. He was perfect casting for this movie. He's close to what Jean Claude Van Damme was in the 90s, everyone knew him and lots of people were watching his movies but most of them were waiting for home video.

• Like 3

There were some digital billboards up in the train station here that literally just had STATHAM vs THE MEG as the tagline for this, so they're definitely trying to sell it on his name here. Can't say how much of an effect it had, but they tried.

9 hours ago, Nova said:

I thought the numbers in bold were OW numbers, only to find out they were domestic total numbers. :bagoverhead:

That list starts at #15 on all his films for some reason. Well, the reason is that a troll posted it. Many of these films also have a low budget and aren't even flops.

And, again, since F&F his recent films have made much more than that especially worldwide.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

There were some digital billboards up in the train station here that literally just had STATHAM vs THE MEG as the tagline for this, so they're definitely trying to sell it on his name here. Can't say how much of an effect it had, but they tried.

On the other hand, I’ve seen commercials built around “Pippin vs The Meg”. Pippin is the little swimming dog.

I agree that Statham’s not a serious draw on his own, but he was just perfect for this movie in how it presented itself as well as being excellent in the movie overall. I’d say he was surprisingly good at the humor but we already knew that from Spy.

Overall, the kid just kills it, but she and Statham particularly worked well together.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

since F&F his recent films have made much more than that especially worldwide.

Its the Transporter movies that he's vastly known for everywhere in the world.

And now that I think of it the reason for F&F global resurgence is because of the same teen/YA demo worldwide in the 00s that it shared with the likes of Transporter which thrived upon home media. 

I can say that >90% of Asia knows Statham due the Transporter movies airing on cable Tv/home media. Maybe if they had continued with more Transporter movies it could have been something like Mission Impossible/Jason Bourne lite in terms of BO.

Edited by NamakFiskKa
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

I can say that >90% of Asia knows Statham due the Transporter movies airing on cable Tv/home media. Maybe if they had continued with more Transporter movies it could have been something like Mission Impossible/Jason Bourne lite in terms of BO.

Good point and maybe also The Expendables series (the last one made $73M in China), as well as F&F of course.

13 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I agree, had it starred anyone else, it probably opened just as well, maybe even better.

No, if you had hired noname actor instead of Statham, it would have had much worse numbers everywhere. Statham is an international star, he may not a dom star, but he's a big name in foreign markets. it would be really dumb to state that the movie made these numbers without Statham's impact, just because of the shark. Statham vs the giant shark opened the movie, just the giant shark wouldn't have made even a half of those numbers.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Nova said:

Most of Statham movies performed really well overseas and the budgets ( most of them ) weren't high.

Mechanic 2 made 21 million domestic and 100 million overseas, meaning 121 million worldwide.

42 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Statham is an international star, he may not a dom star, but he's a big name in foreign markets.

stop this non sense

MV5BMTk4MzM2NTQ1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODIy  
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $17,616,641    38.1%
Foreign:  $28,600,000    61.9%

MV5BMTUwOTAzNzAwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTc1

Domestic:  $20,158,898    46.8%
Foreign:  $22,900,000    53.2%

Worldwide:  $43,058,898  

MV5BMTcxNDI0NzUxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTIz

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $17,142,080    42.5%
Foreign:  $23,204,106    57.5%

Worldwide:  $40,346,186  

Mechanic does better tho

Edited by TombRaider

5 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

stop this non sense

Total Lifetime Grosses

Total Lifetime Grosses
Foreign:  $23,204,106     57.5%

Mechanic does better tho

and this one made the sum of all those and more just in its opening weekend

36 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

stop this non sense

Total Lifetime Grosses

Total Lifetime Grosses
Foreign:  $23,204,106    57.5%

Mechanic does better tho

So? What about more recent examples? Statham is a big bonus in appealing roles in big-budget movies. The movies you listed were aimed at home video market and wouldn't have made more with other action stars. The Rock had a bunch of similar movies with the same BO results.

17 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

its an iconic book about a big shark with 130m budget, duh.

It's not Twilight/50 Shades/Harry Potter/Hunger Games popularity level book to sell the movie just because of the source material. It would've been a big flop without a magic combination of "big budget movie about Statham vs Giant Shark with great marketing, internationl cast for all tastes and based on the book some people may read".

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

its an iconic book about a big shark with 130m budget, duh.

Iconic? Huh?

i agree that its a book, but its hardly big in popular culture (american, anyway. It might be big elsewhere). On wikipedia, just about all the references to it in the last 10 years are about this movie, and there aren’t many before that.  Also, 3.8/5 review isn’t very good. 

Edited by Wrath