grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

11 hours ago, dX airdry zid said:

doubt this will get a sequel though just like WB's B.B. The Legend of Tarzan

Tarzan made 356M on a 180M budget though, it's performance was considered ok just because it wasn't a disaster like the other WB fairy tale wanna be blockbusters.

Meg is a hit, it will make 400M+ on a smaller budget, it will get a sequel.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Tarzan made 356M on a 180M budget though, it's performance was considered ok just because it wasn't a disaster like the other WB fairy tale wanna be blockbusters.

Meg is a hit, it will make 400M+ on a smaller budget, it will get a sequel.

Yes its a hit. But i really doubt they will make a sequel. Bigger budget and less gross is almost certain IMO

9 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Deadline said POC5 was a flop:ph34r:

Lol, really ?

https://deadline.com/2017/05/pirates-of-the-caribbean-dead-men-tell-no-tales-1202104307/

According to Deadline film finance sources, the consensus is that Pirates 5 is looking forward to an estimated profit north of $280M after all revenue streams are tabulated. This is based off an industry-projected final global box office haul of $850M

They didn,t put it in there too:

https://deadline.com/2018/03/most-profitable-movies-2017-star-wars-the-last-jedi-rian-johnson-disney-fox-merger-1202356161/

Maybe it missed the domestic mark by too much.....

27 minutes ago, Barnack said:

According to Deadline film finance sources, the consensus is that Pirates 5 is looking forward to an estimated profit north of $280M after all revenue streams are tabulated. This is based off an industry-projected final global box office haul of $850M

It was complete nonsense to write that and give an estimate for final profits after... the opening weekend. Deadline trying to calculate profits at the end of the year based on their mysterious sources is interesting because few others even attempt to do that, but their POTC5 numbers make you wonder if the whole thing has any value.

As for The Meg the real budget is probably above the "reported" $130M spin, but you could say that about almost any blockbuster so there is no reason to single out this movie because of somebody furiously calling Deadline.

Deadline:

The Meg continues to show its teeth outside China, too, crossing both the $300M overseas and $400M worldwide milestones this session. The weekend was worth $32.7M in 65 markets including No. 1 openings in 9 out of 10 new hubs and maintaining No. 1 in 17 holdover markets. The sci-fi shark has also taken over from Rampage’s sci-fi ape to become the top WB title of 2018 across Latin America.  

• Like 2

Was bored and saw this last night, and while it was silly fun I was really impressed by the actual diversity shown in this movie. 

By people talking about Hollywood trying to appeal the Chinese I thought it would be some small character with less than 5min screentime. But it had prominent Chinese roles that didn't "need" to be or portrayed some kind of Asian stereotype. They just were Chinese, without having a "white is the standard" cast. (Of course, I wasn't too happy about the black guy but I guess that was actually a way to appeal to the Chinese crowd, very reminiscent of black roles in Hollywood 20 years ago)

I hope Hollywood learns the right lessons about this movie success when it comes to diversity, and stop half-assing it trying to appease the SJW crowd.