grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

I’m not going to lie: I found myself enjoying this more than I thought I would. It’s much more campy and fun than other shark movies I’ve seen in the past. As far as shark movies go, it’s not as great as “Jaws” or “The Shallow”, but it is definitely the third best one on the list. 

For a $150 million dollar budget, “The Meg” our all of the effects to good use. The effects of the Megalodon are great for sequences involving the characters getting eaten. The Meg has a believable appearance that makes some of the kills look insane and terrifying. It’s not on the same ironic level as “Sharknado” or as outdated as “Deep Blue Sea”. Even the underwater research facility base that most of the film takes place in looks incredible.

FULL REVIEW: https://rendyreviews.com/movies//the-meg-review

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

Memories of Saffron Burrows in a bikini come flooding back :jeb!:

There's a horrible shark movie called Shark Night...came out about 5 or 6 years ago or so.  It had Sara Paxton in a bikini for the WHOLE MOVIE.  Those are excellent memories.  

• Astonished 1

The embargo ends here at midnight, so in 7 hours. I'm prepared for mixed reviews. But the user reviews/non-official critics reviews seem to be better than expected (also here on this site) which is probably the more important factor because nobody presumed really good reviews (I mean on RT e.g.).

Edited by el sid

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

There's a horrible shark movie called Shark Night...came out about 5 or 6 years ago or so.  It had Sara Paxton in a bikini for the WHOLE MOVIE.  Those are excellent memories.  

Is it...is it worth it? Or is Shark Night too terrible?

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Is it...is it worth it? Or is Shark Night too terrible?

It's not a good movie but if you can find it on netflix, it's worth it.  I think Paxton is super hot, so yes, it's worth 87 minutes of your life.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's not a good movie but if you can find it on netflix, it's worth it.  I think Paxton is super hot, so yes, it's worth 87 minutes of your life.

It’s harmless, but also gore-less and has a stupid twist that ruins the whole thing. 

Still some shark fun. 

While we’re on the subject of sharks, I really enjoyed Open Water, The Shallows, 47 Metres Down and obviously Jaws (1) and Deep Blue Sea. But I also remember quite enjoying Bait, did anyone else see that? Supermarket sharks? Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

It’s harmless, but also gore-less and has a stupid twist that ruins the whole thing. 

Still some shark fun. 

While we’re on the subject of sharks, I really enjoyed Open Water, The Shallows, 47 Metres Down and obviously Jaws (1) and Deep Blue Sea. But I also remember quite enjoying Bait, did anyone else see that? Supermarket sharks? Lol

i love most shark movies even if they aren't that good.  Heck, I love most of the horrible ones on SyFy like ghost shark, zombie shark, obviously the Sharknado ones.  They are even up to a 5 headed shark at this point since they did 2 and 3 headed sharks lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Katherine McPhee over Paxton all day.

Well who's going to argue as to which one is hotter lol. They're both stunning. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, baumer said:

I'm standing firm on a 25 mill opening.  I think there will enough interest in this to get the curious to come out and see it.

I agree, but a 25 million opening is not great if it really does have a 150 Million budget.

If we are talking bad shark movies, you should have seen some of grade Z quickies that came out after "Jaws" opened....

2016 was a mixed year for Shark themed movies. "The Shallows" is perhaps the best Shark film since "Jaws" but "USS Indinapolis:Men Of Courage" was pretty bad. it's a shame , there is a great movie to be made about the USS Indianopolis but this was not it, not by a long shot.