Jurassic World (2015)

158 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I'm curious.  What to you makes him a terrific human character?  All we know about him is that he was in the Navy, he trains raptors, and went on one date with BDH.  

He doesn't change, he doesn't grow, nothing.  He is the same at the beginning and at the end.  He is just a generic hero. 

Why do we need him to change?  He's there to do a job and he does it well.  Han Solo didn't change, not once and he's one of the most revered and likable characters in cinematic history.  Not every character has to grow, sometimes they just have to kick some ass.

• Like 6

I'm curious.  What to you makes him a terrific human character?  All we know about him is that he was in the Navy, he trains raptors, and went on one date with BDH.  

He doesn't change, he doesn't grow, nothing.  He is the same at the beginning and at the end.  He is just a generic hero. 

That's a big plus for me.   It's starting to feel a bit cliche for characters to "grow" or "become a better person"...bleh.   Let the guy be who he is from beginning to end.  I liked him at the beginning...no need to change.    He was already written as the smartest, coolest person in the room who was proven correct by events in the film.

Good stuff:

Chris Pratt is a star. I like seeing him onscreen. Just something about him.

I didn't know until today...but I'm in love with Bryce Dallas Howard. She seemed to get better looking the more dirty and unkempt she got. For others who are as shallow as me....watch her when she is scared in the helicopter. Yeah...you can pretend she is having sex there if you want.

Dinosaurs are freaking cool.

Good cast all around.   Kind of a Marvel party with Starlord, Kingpin, and Gwen Stacy.

Nice flow to the overall story.

They didn't do the "kill off the black guy" cliche. I thought it was coming and was preparing to roll my eyes. (And that guy would have been a great Black Panther imo)

Also Claire didn't fall down once.   Bravo.

The FX are really good.

Raptors as the good guys? I kinda like it.

Return of the original T-Rex....again the hero. Sweet.

Nice to hear that music again.

Some truly scary moments...and I don't scare easily any more.

Meh stuff:

High heels in the forest? I would think any person would get rid of those before they made the trip or at least break those heels off.

Cheesy T-Rex roar at the end. Was hoping they would skip that one.

Dumb people with guns trained on the big dino who somehow never thought to actually shoot it until it was too late. Nice of them to wait for it to have a nice long conversation with the Raptors, eh?  It took all my strength to not yell "Shoot him you idiots!"

Claire yelling "Run!" No kidding...thanks for the advice.

The big death scene for the brontosaurus.   Felt manipulative to me.  Claire suddenly "realizes they are beautiful creatures"...yeah...vomit.

Lots of cliches: I've seen "We didn't listen!" too many times in these types of movies I guess. I just think of South Park now. I of course knew the rich guy would die in the helicopter and the Kingpin guy would bite it. The rich guy with the "Arnold line" when he was taking the helicopter out...I had to laugh at that. I knew every dino would have an insatiable desire to eat and/or kill people. Of course the flying dinos would feel they just had to attack the crowd. Naturally the kids were going to go "off the grid" and of course cells phones never work when you really need them to. (I admit cell phones are a huge problem for these types of movies)

Riding the motorcycles beside the raptors? Is that really a good idea?

Some of the action scenes are too busy. That's a common thing these days though.

This might sound harsh, but it might be more compelling if a main character was seriously injured in a movie like this.   Like...losing an arm or a leg.     Everyone "almost got hurt" of course.   I guess I've seen it too many times.

7/10 and I really liked it.   Gonna see it again Monday.

• Like 1

Why do we need him to change?  He's there to do a job and he does it well.  Han Solo didn't change, not once and he's one of the most revered and likable characters in cinematic history.  Not every character has to grow, sometimes they just have to kick some ass.

Uhhh, Han Solo did change.  He came back after he got his reward and saved the day.

"I knew there was more to you than money." is the very definition of change!

• Like 3

Why do we need him to change? He's there to do a job and he does it well. Han Solo didn't change, not once and he's one of the most revered and likable characters in cinematic history. Not every character has to grow, sometimes they just have to kick some ass.

Han Solo did change

• Like 5

Okay, so the cast was pretty good all around, Bryce maybe the weakest but I really loved how she delivered the "Don't ever tell your mom about this!" line. The whole brother-bonding subplot was laid on too thick toward the end but the kids were still tolerable. I enjoyed all the meta/satirical humor regarding Jurassic Park and the general theme park business, and the action sequences are all well-staged and engaging. A very respectable follow-up to the original film, and it seems this franchise has indeed been revived for the long haul.

• Like 1

Pratt's strength as an actor is not playing the Tom Cruise-esque stoic figure. A role like Guardians was perfect for him because he got to be self-effacing, sweet, and genuinely funny. Here the film is afraid to give him a joke, beyond telling BDH what to do.

• Like 2

Pratt's strength as an actor is not playing the Tom Cruise-esque stoic figure. A role like Guardians was perfect for him because he got to be self-effacing, sweet, and genuinely funny. Here the film is afraid to give him a joke, beyond telling BDH what to do.

He was really dull in this role. If he's going to be leading more major films then I want his characters to be written to allow him to be more light-hearted and self aware. Otherwise, I'm not really interested in him.

• Like 1

Solo didn't change.

And really, who cares...you don't need every character to change.  Pratt's was perfect the way he was.

B!  What the hell are you talking about?

Han Solo halfway through the movie:  "Look, I ain't in this for your revolution, and I'm not in it for you, Princess. I expect to be well paid. I'm in it for the money."

Then he comes back and saves the day because he changed.  I can't spell this out for you any simpler.

• Like 3

I agree, but I think he did okay all things considered.  He could have really tanked in the role since he wasn't given much to do, but he pulls it off as best as he can.

Han Solo changed a great deal. It's half the reason why people were so pissed when George changed it to Greedo shooting first.

• Like 6

I love the movie and I like Chris Pratt but I gotta agree that his character is just a generic hero.

But generic doesn't mean bad. It's just nothing special.

I don't expect too see a lot of fully fleshed characters with good character arc in a summer blockbuster. So, I'm satisfied with Owen Grady.

It completely makes sense that the Raptors and the I-Rex could communicate, first they have the same DNA, secondly it's written that way.  If you are into the movie, you accept it, if you aren't you don't.

You could literally argue that every movie ever made is a perfect 10/10 in its script because it is written that way. Just because something is written doesn't mean it makes sense. Thats ridiculous. The I-Rex was a completely different species that had some raptor dna thrown in. The I-Rex may as well had started speaking in cuttlefish. It has never talked raptor before, how could it possibly know that the raptors were cousins? Why would it communicate with them vs just killing them for sport like everything else it has come across so far in this movie. It makes no sense and is indicative of the script choices that held this movie back from being a truly great movie that could stand with the best popcorn movies ever made.

It's a movie where they clone Dinosaurs and splice their DNA.. If I can accept that, I can accept I Rex's tactics and abilities.

And I'm sure if the I-Rex could suddenly use the Force you can accept that too. Must be a wonderful thing being able to turn off that brain ;)

Edited by Spottswoode

In this movie's universe, the I rex can understand raptors. You can't prove it can't happen, so you may as well just accept it. We don't know how exactly the I rex was trained or what other secrets about it In Gen might have hidden

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2