Jurassic World (2015)

158 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Once the I-Rex got Sam Jackson'd, the T-Rex and the Raptor just sort of looked at each other and walked away. They should've given each other a dino fist bump.

The T-Rex would have to bend down or the raptor would have to jump to make it happen, but either way, I would have bumped the grade a full letter.

• Like 4

• Community Manager

I fell in love with this movie pretty much from the moment Gray opened the window of his nice hotel room (which for some reason isn't destroyed in a later scene) and he saw the park and the Jurassic Park theme played.

I like all three Jurassic Park movies. The second is obviously the weakest but in my opinion, the strength of these movies aren't on the dinosaurs because they are going to be pretty cool no matter what. It's hard to mess them up. It's not even the adult main characters (although I like that they all share the same trait: they always think whatever Imgen is doing is a bad idea because it is). It really rests on the kids. Now I know this is weird but the whole franchise rests a lot of it's strength on awe. Yes some of that awe is terror but some of it is amazement at these creatures that have been put on Earth. And the best way to capture this awe isn't through the adult characters (although the good ones tend to at least by the end respect the dinosaurs) but through kids. The second movie is at it's weakest because it tacks on the kid but the third and especially the first one work a lot better.

And Jurassic World is amazing. It's the second best movie in the franchise. Yes Chris Pratt did an amazing job with his generic hero character (that he's able to play a generic hero character and still win people over is why he's becoming a franchise vehicle). Yes Claire Dearing was a pretty good character with solid development-she goes from only seeing dinosaurs as assets to having to face them as actual living beings. But it's through Gray that we get the awe and wonder that is essential in any Jurassic Park movie to be successful. It helps that Ty Simpkins has that quality where even though he's only 13, he has a natural presence on the screen. His older brother, Zach, keeps him in check but the two form a good team as they go from one life-threatening experience to another. Of course, the two had a great arc as well: Gray in particular having to grow up but Zach realizing that he needs to be there for his brother.

Finally, the actual plot is pretty simple. Imgen makes a hybrid dinosaur (it's kinda funny that the movie tries to keep it's raptor's origins a secret since it was so obvious. After all, we know raptors were the smartest dinosaurs evah due to the original), it gets lose, and the characters have to try to survive. The final battle where it took a T-rex (loved that they saved it till the end), the raptor pack, and the crocodile monster [and technically Chris Pratt shooting it but let's face it that had no actual effect on the battle] to take it down. It's a triumphant moment, it's awesome, and in my opinion it works.

Jurassic World is funny. It's exciting. And it even has some of that awe that captures some of the spirit of the original.

A-

• Like 7

Really, enjoyable entertaining movie. Doesn't try to be anything less, doesn't try to be anything more. Some of the action sequences are thrilling, and even a few scenes shook and shocked me. 8 / 10

Edited by Insidearcher

Solidly entertaining, even though there really isn't much to it. This obviously can't compare to the original movie (which remains one of my absolute favorite movies ever), but it's certainly better than The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 3. A lot of really dumb stuff happens throughout, and it's not clear if director Colin Trevorrow is attempting to make a mockery of the obvious excessiveness of theme parks (particularly the one that the film's studio is behind in real life) or embracing them. But I enjoyed myself well enough thanks to all the dino-mayhem that builds to a climax that demands audience participation in the best way. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard are good, even though they're ultimately playing ciphers instead of fleshed-out characters. Young actors Ty Simpkins and Nick Robinson (who bears a remarkable resemblance to the late Cory Monteith) create child characters that aren't annoying, while Jake Johnson provides some decent comic relief. I wish the film attempted to build some tension like Spielberg did in the original instead of just rushing from set piece to set piece, but the terrific visual effects for the dinosaurs (which look just as great now as they did 22 years ago) make this one worth a look. B

Also, hearing that John Williams theme in a movie theater again provided such a warm feeling.

I fell in love with this movie pretty much from the moment Gray opened the window of his nice hotel room (which for some reason isn't destroyed in a later scene) and he saw the park and the Jurassic Park theme played.

I like all three Jurassic Park movies. The second is obviously the weakest but in my opinion, the strength of these movies aren't on the dinosaurs because they are going to be pretty cool no matter what. It's hard to mess them up. It's not even the adult main characters (although I like that they all share the same trait: they always think whatever Imgen is doing is a bad idea because it is). It really rests on the kids. Now I know this is weird but the whole franchise rests a lot of it's strength on awe. Yes some of that awe is terror but some of it is amazement at these creatures that have been put on Earth. And the best way to capture this awe isn't through the adult characters (although the good ones tend to at least by the end respect the dinosaurs) but through kids. The second movie is at it's weakest because it tacks on the kid but the third and especially the first one work a lot better.

And Jurassic World is amazing. It's the second best movie in the franchise. Yes Chris Pratt did an amazing job with his generic hero character (that he's able to play a generic hero character and still win people over is why he's becoming a franchise vehicle). Yes Claire Dearing was a pretty good character with solid development-she goes from only seeing dinosaurs as assets to having to face them as actual living beings. But it's through Gray that we get the awe and wonder that is essential in any Jurassic Park movie to be successful. It helps that Ty Simpkins has that quality where even though he's only 13, he has a natural presence on the screen. His older brother, Zach, keeps him in check but the two form a good team as they go from one life-threatening experience to another. Of course, the two had a great arc as well: Gray in particular having to grow up but Zach realizing that he needs to be there for his brother.

Finally, the actual plot is pretty simple. Imgen makes a hybrid dinosaur (it's kinda funny that the movie tries to keep it's raptor's origins a secret since it was so obvious. After all, we know raptors were the smartest dinosaurs evah due to the original), it gets lose, and the characters have to try to survive. The final battle where it took a T-rex (loved that they saved it till the end), the raptor pack, and the crocodile monster [and technically Chris Pratt shooting it but let's face it that had no actual effect on the battle] to take it down. It's a triumphant moment, it's awesome, and in my opinion it works.

Jurassic World is funny. It's exciting. And it even has some of that awe that captures some of the spirit of the original.

A-

200x200px-ZC-33be77df_tumblr_inline_mfr3

• Like 1

I loved the Predator homage.

Shit, I missed it, what and when it was ?

When the kids jump off the cliff into the water, they evade the predator coming after them, they then come up out of the water just like Arnold did and they come up onto a muddy shore....I was just waiting for the I-rex to splash down in back on them and they then have to camouflage themselves with mud.  

I actually liked this movie and has lots of nostalgic memories of the first movie and it was an improvement from the third movie and it was overall a fun experience and I will definetely buy this one bluray. Anyway cool Dino scenes, awesome scenes of destruction, the humans weren't bad I liked Chris Pratt's character Bryce Dallas Howard was decent much better than she was in Spider Man 3 the kids were tolerable much more tolerable than their mom I'm glad she wasn't in the movie a bunch(she was an annoying bitch), it was cool to see the original T-Rex back again especially the ending and that fight scene against the raptor/I-Rex/Monasaur(the water Dino)/T-Rex was pretty cool. Well last but not least Jurassic World is a fun reboot of the Jurassic Park franchise an improvement from the third movie and I liked it just as much I did The Lost World but it will never the original Jurassic Park Grade:B+

Edited by Maxmoser3
  • Like 1

I just got back from seeing it a second time and it still definitely holds up. I may have liked it even a little more and may raise my grade a tad as well. Some of the faults I still have are there but I didn't mind as much besides they were pretty little to begin with.

• Like 2

In this movie's universe, the I rex can understand raptors. You can't prove it can't happen, so you may as well just accept it. We don't know how exactly the I rex was trained or what other secrets about it In Gen might have hidden

We know it was kept in complete isolation with one exception, which it ate. That it would recognise a raptor as its own kin and talk to them turning them against the humans is completely unrealistic in the universe that it has created for itself.

• Like 1