kayumanggi

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM | 22 JUN 2018 | Universal | J.A. Bayona to direct | The Park is Closed | NOT THE FRANCHISE WARS THREAD

If Europe is falling 25-30% ow and hence about 35% total (lesser legs) I don't think OS-China can fall much more than 30% from JW's 790.

30% drop gives 550 to FK. Then 250 China seems likely for 800 OS.

850 OS would nearly ensure 1200 ww.

3 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Very true. That’s probably why the POTC: DMC was a breakout-film with $423M back in 2006....despite mixed reception from critics. And Transformers 2 got to $402M even with that 19% on RT. Classic example of critic-proof blockbusters.

Nope, at least in the case of the second POTC. People loved the original and that’s why the second one was a huge success but it left people sour and thus the third and final film of the trilogy decreased. Exactly what happened with the matrix sequels with the first matrix being beloved, the second doing big numbers because of that and the third dropping because people didn’t like the second.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Eh. I'm still thinking $400M+ for JWFK and $500M+ for I2. 

A TFA to TLJ like drop for FK would give it around $431M domestic. Based on the lack of buzz or hype, that feels like a bit much. We will see...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Nope, at least in the case of the second POTC. People loved the original and that’s why the second one was a huge success but it left people sour and thus the third and final film of the trilogy decreased. Exactly what happened with the matrix sequels with the first matrix being beloved, the second doing big numbers because of that and the third dropping because people didn’t like the second.

DMC had a 3.1+ multiplier off of it's  OW DOM record. People liked it. Even though AWE dipped, it made mint - adjusts to $412M DOM with inflation. That's not a great example.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

A TFA to TLJ like drop for FK would give it around $431M domestic. Based on the lack of buzz or hype, that feels like a bit much. We will see...

That sounds about where I'd have... $425M+ DOM. As I said before, I just think it'll do pretty well. There's no brand like Jurassic Park for dinos and/or monsters. All of them, save the pretty unwanted JP III which still adjusts to just under $300M, adjust to $457M+ DOM or better. 

Like Transformers and Pirates, people know they'll at least get their money's worth with visual effects, action beats and some mega blockbuster suspense. Unlike Transformers and Pirates, Jurassic Park hasn't worn out it's welcome just yet coming such a HUGE hit in Jurassic World. 

Now, the one that follows Fallen Kingdom... That one might start to see some of the big dips that Transformers and Pirates see now.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 5:26 PM, GirafficPark said:

Yeah, and F&F and Transformers did what now?  Warcraft, Great wall etc? Sure china might like some good movies, but holy hell they love the garbage.

RPO did well because its what they want, it just happens not to be a bad movie. Sure it proves that appealing to china doesnt have to mean making crap, but making crap is a lot easier and still makes the money.

Well to be fair China didn't go all out for TF5, you have to give the people some time to catch on. US needed 3 dam movies before they punished the TF franchise. First one did Great DOM, 2nd one did even better, 3rd one did still do massive business, 4th one got punished and the 5th one got slaughtered. And for God Sake the US created these movies. 

Let's watch China: first one did great (but a very small market), second one too, 3rd too, 4th one too, 5th one got a big drop (3 years of market growth and drop $92m. Comparable with TF3 to TF4. So to point this out is not really that justified. It's pretty similar, they just run one movie behind the US, the market with the most acquired taste off all. 

FF Franchise: US made this movie increase from FF4 - FF5- FF6 - FF7 peaked - FF8 almost equal to FF6. China also saw a massive increase with FF7, most people thought this was a good movie (I wasn't too keen on it) both in the US and China. So US did reject FF8 more than China, but then again US box-office isn't growing big time. However you point only stands on FF8, also not the best argument in my humble opinion.

Warcraft did do very well, but also was very frontloaded.

The Great wall was a movie co-produced with Chinese company, got extremely big marketing push and had many Chinese actors in a Hollywood movie. So you get why they were interested right?

That said you could also say fifty shades grey earned a lot of money in the US, and that wasn’t a good movie at all, Alice in wonderland, both comparable with Warcraft.

And then you have movies like Suicide Squad and BvS, both did gangster business but they had appeal to the US audience just like The great wall had to the Chinese audience.

That said I don’t think you criticism is valid, US loves crap just as much, only different crap because they have different cultures.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

I put 360M dom in the summer game and I was the lowest

You and Jake.  I think it might cause people as much trouble as Solo.  It's certainly going to be an interesting finish.

9 hours ago, Hades said:

Both will dominate,. Don't really have heavy competition. 

Ant-Man And The Wasp will go all Tonya Harding on Jurassic World's legs if the mixed-negative WOM continues.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

If the OW DOM is anywhere near $150M+, I can't imagine a movie having just over 2.0 multiplier with summer days and the 4th of July soon after it's release to boost sales as well.

I don't see this opening to 150 M plus. I could be wrong, of course.