kayumanggi

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM | 22 JUN 2018 | Universal | J.A. Bayona to direct | The Park is Closed | NOT THE FRANCHISE WARS THREAD

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Not really, the first film was released in the 90’s and is one of the most popular films of all time. Transformers was flash in the pan compared to this. Lol. 

It looks like its on track for $1bn + so I think you’re wrong. 

Reaction here (UK) seems positive for the most part on social media. 

Do They? I'm from the UK and I wouldn't say they were positive

The Problem with the Jurassia Park franchise is that it's pretty limited. Basically Dinosaurs chasing people. FOr a lot of people, no matter how well done the Dinos are is gets repetitive .

The 1993 film is enormous fun, one of Spielberg's best; he gave you charecters you care about and quite a bit of humor that is actually funny.

Second was a huge step down; First 3/4 of a movie was just a rehash of the firat movie;when it moved to San Diego it got fun, though, because Speilberg pretty much played it for laughs..successfully. ("Mom, there's a dinosaur drinking from our swimming pool".

Third was just plain weak.

JW was a lot of fun because it gave people something the wanted to see since the first film:A Jurassiac Park in full operating mode.

But the fourth one looks like it's back to a "people running away form Dinos" again without a great hook like JW had.

It will probably have a huge opening weekend because of the energy from JW but the legs are what to watch with this one.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The Problem with the Jurassia Park franchise is that it's pretty limited. Basically Dinosaurs chasing people. FOr a lot of people, no matter how well done the Dinos are is gets repetitive .

The 1993 film is enormous fun, one of Spielberg's best; he gave you charecters you care about and quite a bit of humor that is actually funny.

Second was a huge step down; First 3/4 of a movie was just a rehash of the firat movie;when it moved to San Diego it got fun, though, because Speilberg pretty much played it for laughs..successfully. ("Mom, there's a dinosaur drinking from our swimming pool".

JW was a lot of fun because it gave people something the wanted to see since the first film:A Jurassiac Park in full operating mode.

But the fourth one looks like it's back to a "people running away form Dinos" again without a great hook like JW had.

It will probably have a huge opening weekend because of the energy from JW but the legs are what to watch with this one.

That's one of the best things about this one. It has the least running away from dinos out of the 5 movies. This one is more different. Maybe good different, maybe bad different, but i promise you it does make an effort to try something new.

• Like 2

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Greater Sacramento Area Seat Report: T-7 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

17.68%

Total Seats Sold Today:             122

.2277x as many tickets sold as Infinity War 7 days before release. (IW had 19 more days of pre-sales)

.5482x as many tickets sold as Black Panther 7 days before release (BP had 16 more days of pre-sales) 

.5972x as many tickets sold as Deadpool 2  7 days before release (DP2 had one plus more days of pre-sales) 

.5314x as many tickets sold as Solo 7 days before release pre-sales (Solo had 20 days of pre-sales compared to JW:FK's 22 days of presales)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

What does being on track for 1+ billion have to do with anything and how is it proving me wrong ?Many transformers sequels did great at the bo too. How is transformers a flash in the pan, T3 and T4 did over a billion worldwide.

Compared to Jurassic Park, which made a billion 25 years ago, it is. 

10 hours ago, Firepower said:

1 bln WW for FK is actually a big failure in long term perspective, it's a HUGE drop from JW, even bigger drop than TLJ from TFA percent vise and bigger drop than JP sequels from each other. It should make at least 1.2 bln to save its face, but almost 500 mln drop from JW is still pretty bad. If GA really enjoyed it, more or less, it should make at least 1.35-1.4 bln, that would be a reasonable drop from JW.

This is so silly. 1.2 is a “huge failure”, 1.35 is a “reasonable drop”.  Screaming 😂

7 hours ago, Jessie said:

Do They? I'm from the UK and I wouldn't say they were positive

On twitter, Facebook etc yeh. Not as good as JW. We’ll see with the 3 day to 3 day drop. 

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

It’s lasted over 25 years and one of the most iconic in cinema history. It’s two most recent instalments are making over $1bn with ease. 

Infinity War, the biggest hit in years (apart from Black Panther of course) it still took forty four days to pass the last Jurassic World and won’t even come close adjusted for inflation. Audiences arent tired yet. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Compared to Jurassic Park, which made a billion 25 years ago, it is. 

This is so silly. 1.2 is a “huge failure”, 1.35 is a “reasonable drop”.  Screaming 😂

On twitter, Facebook etc yeh. Not as good as JW. We’ll see with the 3 day to 3 day drop. 

It’s lasted over 25 years and one of the most iconic in cinema history. It’s two most recent instalments are making over $1bn with ease. 

Infinity War, the biggest hit in years (apart from Black Panther of course) it still took forty four days to pass the last Jurassic World and won’t even come close adjusted for inflation. Audiences arent tired yet. 

It’s lasted 25 years because not many sequels have come. Basically the franchise was tired and people were bored of it after the second film, it didn’t take long. It had a 20 year hiatus and a soft reboot for it to be succesfull again and the second one will probably see a significant drop worldwide . Transformers had huge sequel after huge sequel, like them or not , without the need of a 20 years “rest” for the franchise to create nostalgia. Let’s see where Jurassic world will be if it makes it to its fifth or sixth sequel.

As for infinity war, I don’t care about adjusted for inflation in the u.s , it’s the fourth film to pass 2 billion worldwide and the third in the avengers franchise over a span of six years. If Jurassic world is so beloved let’s see JW2 passing 2 billion WW too, if it’s so easy with “inflation”.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Krissy, try to open your eyes and read my post again ☺️ I wrote that 1 bln WW is a "huge failure" in long-term perspective, not 1.2 bln. 1 bln WW is a colossal drop from the first one, it would definitely hurt JW3. 1.2 bln WW is a bad drop too, but closer to safe zone. 1.4+ is a reasonable drop and safe zone.

Edited by Firepower

JW2 could do 330 dom + 200 china + 520 os-china = 1050 ww

1050 would be 6.2x the 170 prod budget.  TLJ would have to do close to 1600 ww  to have the same multiplier.

I know there are other forms of revenue streams and metrics, but just saying...

Theatrical revenue could be approx,

330*0.55 = 181.5 dom

200*0.25 = 50 china

520*0.33 = 171.6 os

181.5 + 50 + 171.6 = 403.1 ... with all of non-theatrical revenue to follow.

18 hours ago, Brainbug said:

We dont know anything about the WOM among the GA before we atleast see the weekend drops in the OS markets, which we dont have yet. Anecdotical evidence is totally useless like with all films.

Drops are gonna be wacky anyways due to the WC starting

Edited by Rebeccas

1 hour ago, a2k said:

JW2 could do 330 dom + 200 china + 520 os-china = 1050 ww

1050 would be 6.2x the 170 prod budget.  TLJ would have to do close to 1600 ww  to have the same multiplier.

I know there are other forms of revenue streams and metrics, but just saying...

Theatrical revenue could be approx,

330*0.55 = 181.5 dom

200*0.25 = 50 china

520*0.33 = 171.6 os

181.5 + 50 + 171.6 = 403.1 ... with all of non-theatrical revenue to follow.

Disney doesn't have Spielberg taking 35% of the profits with him. Keep in mind the first one with a 650M gross and 1.6B total had 474M profit (surprisingly only a 57M difference between JW and TLJ) with an insane 200M for payouts to talent. This one's profit for the studio should be less than 300M. 

Edited by Wingzero505
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

It’s lasted 25 years because not many sequels have come. Basically the franchise was tired and people were bored of it after the second film, it didn’t take long. It had a 20 year hiatus and a soft reboot for it to be succesfull again and the second one will probably see a significant drop worldwide . Transformers had huge sequel after huge sequel, like them or not , without the need of a 20 years “rest” for the franchise to create nostalgia. Let’s see where Jurassic world will be if it makes it to its fifth or sixth sequel.

As for infinity war, I don’t care about adjusted for inflation in the u.s , it’s the fourth film to pass 2 billion worldwide and the third in the avengers franchise over a span of six years. If Jurassic world is so beloved let’s see JW2 passing 2 billion WW too, if it’s so easy with “inflation”.

Case in point. You just cherry pick whatever suits your perspective while choosing to turn a blind eye to other valid points. 

FWIW superhero movies are the most repetitive movies ever. Every time a new "bigger and badder" villain emerges with painfully obvious intentions of somehow destroying the city/world/universe until men and women in funny costumes eventually save the day, and I don't see the likes of you complaining about that. Yet if JP comes up with a new plot, dinosaurs or characters to keep the story going it's somehow "tired".

Sure, opinions are subjective but the hypocrisy is hilarious at this point. Haters gonna hate, and I don't have the patience to keep feeding and engaging in pointless banter with people that have already made up their minds. Ciao! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Wingzero505 said:

Disney doesn't have Spielberg taking 35% of the profits with him. Keep in mind the first one with a 650M gross and 1.6B total had 474M profit (surprisingly only a 57M difference between JW and TLJ) with an insane 200M for payouts to talent. This one's profit for the studio should be less than 300M. 

Spielberg gets 35% of the profits even though he has no involvement in the movie? Wow he is such a ...

36 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Its almost as if Marvel fanatics are annoyed with Jurassic Park franchise for some reason. 

Wonder where that comes from. 

MANY people here were very butthurt when JW completely obliterated Age of Ultron, especially DOM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, scoobysaurus said:

Case in point. You just cherry pick whatever suits your perspective while choosing to turn a blind eye to other valid points. 

FWIW superhero movies are the most repetitive movies ever. Every time a new "bigger and badder" villain emerges with painfully obvious intentions of somehow destroying the city/world/universe until men and women in funny costumes eventually save the day, and I don't see the likes of you complaining about that. Yet if JP comes up with a new plot, dinosaurs or characters to keep the story going it's somehow "tired".

Sure, opinions are subjective but the hypocrisy is hilarious at this point. Haters gonna hate, and I don't have the patience to keep feeding and engaging in pointless banter with people that have already made up their minds. Ciao! 

First of all even Baumer has said that using inflation doesn’t make much sense. Again if inflation is such a huge factor why doesn’t JW2 do better than the first ?

Its not what I , or you say, about what is repetitive, the audience decides and the audience has given superhero films over 5 billion$ just in 2018 , until now. Jurassic park had run its course by the time the first sequel , hense JP2 huge drop compared to the original film and the demise of the franchise for 20 years.  Now with new series history seems to be repeating, huge first film, smaller second one (in terms of bo) , let’s see how long the Jurassic franchise will last this time and if it will go beyond a third film. Transformers (which is a better comparison than superhero films) lasted for many films and had many huge sequels, sorry but it’s the truth.

In the years of Jurassic park’s absense we had tons of mega blockbuster repetitive superhero films from reimi’s Spider-Man series to nolan’s Batman to the MCU films. Again the audience decides, not my fault .

6 hours ago, Wingzero505 said:

I doubt we know the payout for the talent (if you are referring to deadline estimate that one of the line they can get the most off, I have seen a 200% difference between actual and their estimate on that one).

They could even be (probably be I would say) gross point and not profit point.

If it is like the Transformer franchise (from the leaked e-mail of Sony talking about Mark Wahlberg transformer deal evaluating what offer him on an Uncharted movie):

Because of all the players (Hasbro, Lorenzo, Bay, Spielberg, etc) and a 25 point first dollar cap.

a 16-17% of the gross going to talent and player on a Jurassic World (Frank Marshall, the writer-director, Pratt, Spielberg, Tull, Crichton ?) would be quite standard.

Last Jedi payout is not necessarily much smaller, specially if you consider that the 2B cash + 2B stock going to Lucas is kind of the same, a in advance buyout on the franchise profits and amortized that amount among the movies that will be made while projecting that 4B amount value over time using a regular Disney ROI.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1