kayumanggi

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM | 22 JUN 2018 | Universal | J.A. Bayona to direct | The Park is Closed | NOT THE FRANCHISE WARS THREAD

4 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

First of all even Baumer has said that using inflation doesn’t make much sense. Again if inflation is such a huge factor why doesn’t JW2 do better than the first ?

You are probably mixing up using American movie ticket price change over time and applying it to the world box office and using US dollar inflation when comparing US dollar from 2 different year's.

Using inflation make about the same sense than using exchange rate when you look at the gross made in a movie in Yuan, comparing 1993 US dollars to 2018 US dollars box office gross is quite similar to comparing Wolf Warrior 2 box office in Yuan (5.57b) and saying it was 2.75 time the box office of Avengers Infinity War 2b US dollar.

It made absolute sense to use inflation when comparing 2 different year and there is no issue that the amount if for a worldwide box office either with using inflation.

Inflation is a giant factor among long period, between 2015 and 2018 it is only 6%, not something that is usually enough to make up for the usual sequel decline.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:26 AM, Thrylos 7 said:

Nope. The concept is too limited for this to rise on the third film. If nothing else FK will have a matrix reloaded effect on the Jurassic franchise.

It's the limited concept that is the issue with the Franchise.

Thye might go with Dinos on the rampage causing mass destruction in the third film, but then films with mass destruction are a dime a dozen nowdays, and the Monster franchise from Warners with Kong. The Big G and the rest of the Toho monster gang might well have the giant monsters on the rampage slot preempted.

And universal has got to be nervous with what Incredible 2 is doing this weekend. Yes, it's frontloaded, but it's still goint cut into Fk's opening quite a bit.

And I repeat;FK simply does not have the grea taudience  hook that JW had.

5 hours ago, Ranger Tree said:

Spielberg gets 35% of the profits even though he has no involvement in the movie? Wow he is such a ...

Great Businessman?

Spielberg's company owns the freaking rights to the JP franchise and puts up  a good deal of the budget.. You don't make a deal with Spielberg  you don't make a JP movie,and if you put up money,you get a share of the profits propotiional to the money you invest.

And I am gobsmacked this has to be explained to you. Are you really that ignorant about how a business...a film studio or any other business..operates.

I am now conviced you are just a troll, because ..although I could be wrong..I find it hard to believe that anybody could really be that ignorant. Well, congrats ,that made me feed the troll...

Edited by dudalb

5 hours ago, Ranger Tree said:

Spielberg gets 35% of the profits even though he has no involvement in the movie? Wow he is such a ...

Smart businessman.  :lol:

I do wish he had more quality control over what he produces and takes so much profit from.  Between this and the Transformers movies?  He can't push for better scripts?  Really Steven?  

Then he talks about how Hollywood is too reliant on blockbusters and how they'll kill it in the end.  Yes, bad ones will - so stop rubber stamping them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Its almost as if Marvel fanatics are annoyed with Jurassic Park franchise for some reason. 

Wonder where that comes from. 

It's almost like the JP fanatics are annoyed that FK is going to not do nearly as well as JW.

And I have no doubt the JP fans will be busy hating Pixar next weekend...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Smart businessman.  :lol:

I do wish he had more quality control over what he produces and takes so much profit from.  Between this and the Transformers movies?  He can't push for better scripts?  Really Steven?  

Then he talks about how Hollywood is too reliant on blockbusters and how they'll kill it in the end.  Yes, bad ones will - so stop rubber stamping them.

Oh yeah ,Spielberg is such a damn failure.....

I think FK will underperform compared to JW, But I think it will still make a nice profit for all concerned.

I love it when somebody who could probably not run a 7/11 successfully badmouths one of the most successful ..overall...individuals the industry has ever seen.

And although I have not liked ANY of the Transformer movies after the first,overall it has been a damn successful franchise at the box office.

Speilber is giving it one more shot with Bumblebee, which has a much smaller budget then the previous Transformer films. If Bumblebee fails, he will pull the plug on the franchise.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

I doubt we know the payout for the talent (if you are referring to deadline estimate that one of the line they can get the most off, I have seen a 200% difference between actual and their estimate on that one).

They could even be (probably be I would say) gross point and not profit point.

If it is like the Transformer franchise (from the leaked e-mail of Sony talking about Mark Wahlberg transformer deal evaluating what offer him on an Uncharted movie):

Because of all the players (Hasbro, Lorenzo, Bay, Spielberg, etc) and a 25 point first dollar cap.

a 16-17% of the gross going to talent and player on a Jurassic World (Frank Marshall, the writer-director, Pratt, Spielberg, Tull, Crichton ?) would be quite standard.

Last Jedi payout is not necessarily much smaller, specially if you consider that the 2B cash + 2B stock going to Lucas is kind of the same, a in advance buyout on the franchise profits and amortized that amount among the movies that will be made while projecting that 4B amount value over time using a regular Disney ROI.

Then is the fact that for JW Spielberg pretty much owns the rights to the franchise outright.

7 hours ago, scoobysaurus said:

Case in point. You just cherry pick whatever suits your perspective while choosing to turn a blind eye to other valid points. 

FWIW superhero movies are the most repetitive movies ever. Every time a new "bigger and badder" villain emerges with painfully obvious intentions of somehow destroying the city/world/universe until men and women in funny costumes eventually save the day, and I don't see the likes of you complaining about that. Yet if JP comes up with a new plot, dinosaurs or characters to keep the story going it's somehow "tired".

Sure, opinions are subjective but the hypocrisy is hilarious at this point. Haters gonna hate, and I don't have the patience to keep feeding and engaging in pointless banter with people that have already made up their minds. Ciao! 

If you don't get why a franchise like the MCU or DCU universes give writers a lot more options and space then the JP franchise does, your're pretty hopeless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Greater Sacramento Area Seat Report: T-6 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

18.52%

Total Seats Sold Today:             95

.2315x as many tickets sold as Infinity War 6 days before release. (IW had 19 more days of pre-sales)

.5466x as many tickets sold as Black Panther 6 days before release (BP had 16 more days of pre-sales) 

.5853x as many tickets sold as Deadpool 2  6 days before release (DP2 had one plus more days of pre-sales) 

.5448x as many tickets sold as Solo 6 days before release pre-sales (Solo had 20 days of pre-sales compared to JW:FK's 22 days of presales)

• Like 2

I just red through the discution about CGI, I have to JP had some good (great CG) for it's time. But man the dino's they they encounter when they first get to the island were very very very fake. (I am talking about the big dino's with the long necks.

20 minutes ago, pepsa said:

I just red through the discution about CGI, I have to JP had some good (great CG) for it's time. But man the dino's they they encounter when they first get to the island were very very very fake. (I am talking about the big dino's with the long necks.

People really neglect to mention that because of those old rose colored glasses. That is not "perfect" CGI in 2018.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dudalb said:

If you don't get why a franchise like the MCU or DCU universes give writers a lot more options and space then the JP franchise does, your're pretty hopeless.

As much as I love superhero films, I am not blind to the suppposed "more options" that CBMs gives writers.

Ther are an infinite number of superheroes and supervillains for them to fight, but there is truth in what he said: once you have seen a world domination/world destruction plot in CBMs, there is not a whole lot you can vary. Let's not act as if each CBM has been incredibly distinct. I feel that everyone gives them a pass nowadays because audiences are still in the honeymoon phase with CBMs (yes, even after all these years). They are still a shiny new toy...and therefore, it's easier to overlook their flaws.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StevenG said:

As much as I love superhero films, I am not blind to the suppposed "more options" that CBMs gives writers.

Ther are an infinite number of superheroes and supervillains for them to fight, but there is truth in what he said: once you have seen a world domination/world destruction plot in CBMs, there is not a whole lot you can vary. Let's not act as if each CBM has been incredibly distinct. I feel that everyone gives them a pass nowadays because audiences are still in the honeymoon phase with CBMs (yes, even after all these years). They are still a shiny new toy...and therefore, it's easier to overlook their flaws.

Superhero films were breaking box office records since the first Superman film 40 years ago. That honeymoon phase seems to be lasting a very long time and for a huge number of films, unlike any other genre/franchise. The only difference is that the technology of the last 20 years has allowed superhero films to reach their complete potential. 

People denying how CBM are offering way greater variety than something like Jurassic Park , transformers, Star Wars or whatever is really just for the sake of arguing and because they are butthurt their x favourite franchise can’t sustain a similar kind of success with CBM. Keep waiting for this “honeymoon phase”to end , it’s going to be a veeeeery long time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pepsa said:

Brontosauruses? I don't know man, they're ginormous and ginormous beings we expext to move superslow (with the exception of some forms of Godzilla and his cohorfs) so I think because it lingers so long you have time to spot the awkwardness (like jabba the hutt in a new hope special edition. That was a money shot though, so youre right that what was once a jaw dropping scene doesn't impress much if at all 25 years later. 

The trex holds up much better for instance because of the animatronics...

Edited by MrSinister
i wonder how it would have held up with feathers?

17 hours ago, dudalb said:

In other words "if you don't share my views about why my franchise is better than yours, you're hopeless". More ad hominem attacks by superhero apologists in an effort to mask their hypocrisy  🙄. Keep it coming, my ignore list is filling up and the boards are starting to look a lot better without ignorance

3 hours ago, StevenG said:

Thank you sir. I quite like some superhero movies and I only have a problem with hypocrites that turn a blind eye to their favorite franchise or genre and find fault with others for doing the same.