kayumanggi

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM | 22 JUN 2018 | Universal | J.A. Bayona to direct | The Park is Closed | NOT THE FRANCHISE WARS THREAD

9 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

is this at least going to open to 150m?

i'm thinking 135-140.

Overseas numbers suggest a 25-35% drop from JW. That gives you a 135-155 range. I think I2 breaking out will hurt it a little as well keeping it closer to that 135M number.

Porthos numbers aren't giving me alot of confidence either. Running less than 60% of the pre-sales of DP2 and Solo five days out in not great. Unless that makes a huge jump the next 3 days it is going to need a huge walk up to get anywhere close to 150. Could happen as it is more of a walk up movie, but don't sense that yet.

1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

i'm thinking 135-140.

Overseas numbers suggest a 25-35% drop from JW. That gives you a 135-155 range. I think I2 breaking out will hurt it a little as well keeping it closer to that 135M number.

Porthos numbers aren't giving me alot of confidence either. Running less than 60% of the pre-sales of DP2 and Solo five days out in not great. Unless that makes a huge jump the next 3 days it is going to need a huge walk up to get anywhere close to 150. Could happen as it is more of a walk up movie, but don't sense that yet.

Well $135 million isn't terrible and it would be nice to have two $100 million grossers next week. 

13 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Well $135 million isn't terrible and it would be nice to have two $100 million grossers next week. 

Has that ever happened before? I remember JW and IO did over $90 million on the same weekend each in 2015.

Edited by Not really

9 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

i'm thinking 135-140.

JW got a *lot* of walkups opening weekend. Remember that.

That being said, the novelty is gone and the time gap is much less.

• Like 1

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Greater Sacramento Area Seat Report: T-4 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

21.58%

Total Seats Sold Today:          220

.2543x as many tickets sold as Infinity War 4 days before release. (IW had 19 more days of pre-sales)

.5783x as many tickets sold as Black Panther 4 days before release (BP had 16 more days of pre-sales) 

.6083x as many tickets sold as Deadpool 2  4 days before release (DP2 had one plus more days of pre-sales) 

.5972x as many tickets sold as Solo 4 days before release pre-sales (Solo had 20 days of pre-sales compared to JW:FK's 22 days of presales) 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2018 at 2:44 AM, Barnack said:

Last Jedi payout is not necessarily much smaller, specially if you consider that the 2B cash + 2B stock going to Lucas is kind of the same, a in advance buyout on the franchise profits and amortized that amount among the movies that will be made while projecting that 4B amount value over time using a regular Disney ROI.

That would be stupid, i have no idea why people keep bringing that up. Marvel was bought for 4B when the highest grossing film they had was the first Iron Man, Pixar 7.4B and Fox is looking to be upwards of 50B, according your point Fox will never be profitable. Taking into account studio acquisitions when calculating box-office is pointless. Compared to the rest of the acquisitions getting Lucasfilm for 4B is an absolute steal.  

Spielberg getting a big cut makes sense because he owns the rights. 

I'm impressed that they somehow made a film worst than the first one. The third act was like a parody. Cliche after cliche.

Also the score was completely forgettable. Some excellent cinematography and great looking CGI. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

JW got a *lot* of walkups opening weekend. Remember that.

That being said, the novelty is gone and the time gap is much less.

I maintain that it was the novelty of seeing a Jurrasic Park in full operating mode that was the major factor in making JW such a huge hit. FK does not have that hook.

It will do well..Universal will make a lot of money with it...but it won't be cash cow the way JW.

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I maintain that it was the novelty of seeing a Jurrasic Park in full operating mode that was the major factor in making JW such a huge hit. FK does not have that hook.

It will do well..Universal will make a lot of money with it...but it won't be cash cow the way JW.

We'll still get a third film but Universal likely has to expect another decrease. 

They've kept the budget fairly sensible, $170m is only $20m higher than the first JW

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

I'm impressed that they somehow made a film worst than the first one. The third act was like a parody. Cliche after cliche.

Also the score was completely forgettable. Some excellent cinematography and great looking CGI. 

One good thing to come out of JW is that JA Bayona proved he's capable of directing a big tentpole and I imagine he'll be eyed for a number of tentpoles. 

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:10 AM, Krissykins said:

Still remember seeing it in the cinema as a kid and being in awe. 

JP was the breakthrough film for CGI. It changed the way movies were made forever. It right up there with "THe Jazz Singer" (introduced sound)

and "The Robe" (introdueced widescreen) as a film that has a huge impact on the way technology us sued in filmmaking.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I didn’t even think of the idea of a fully operational park being a factor. That makes more sense now.

• Like 2