kayumanggi

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM | 22 JUN 2018 | Universal | J.A. Bayona to direct | The Park is Closed | NOT THE FRANCHISE WARS THREAD

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Sleeper picks: I think there's a strong chance that if things break right either Mary Poppins Returns or Black Panther ends up the biggest movie of the year domestically. Probably have both doing under IW for sure, but beyond that, could easily see them being 2 and 3 tbh.

...ok, but why did you forgot to mention Alita? :sparta:

37 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Black Panther 340, Infinity War 390. But this is the Jurassic World Prediction thread, so I'll throw out 375 for that one.

So no movies over 400M next year then? I somehow doubt it. Maybe Mary Poppins?

EDIT: Ah i see now you already raised the possibility in a later post that Mary Poppins might win the year.

30 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Could be fun, not saying it LOOKS bad, but that was a poor trailer. Pacing was shit and they treated Goldblum as an afterthought. But worst of all they basically spoiled the entire movie.

The hook of the film is that they're going back to save these dinosaurs. It's a will they or won't they situation, and the big money shots at the end of this trailer essentially spoil the answer to that question. They don't save them. How fucking depressing. 

PLUS, a bonus spoiler! The T-Rex saves Pratt from a Carnosaurus in the third act!

The only way this can be redeemed is if the volcano explosion actually occurs in the first act to set up the rest of the movie. 

Director(now I can't recall if it was the director from this one or from the first one) already came out on twitter and said the footage of the trailer is purely from the first half of the movie only.

Edited by Arlborn

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

AOU dropped by 100 m WW. So dropping by 400 m isn't an inevitability.

It is not, but AoU had the advantage of a nice market growth between 2012 and 2015, it still dropped by 267m outside China, I doubt Jurassic World 2 can have that massive China boost to compensate the usual sequel to phenomenom drop.

in market share of their annual release:

Avengers: 1.5188/34.7 = 4.377%

Ultron:   1.4054/38.3 = 3.67%

That was just a 16.16% drop (a 26.3% domestic drop without inflation taken into account) and a bit of phenomenon to be such a small drop (probably helped by the grown popularity of Captain America WW and others in between movie release from others products, something regular movie like Jurassic World does not have)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chewy said:

One thing that seems certain to me is that March is a DISASTER, many bombs coming

Oh yeah. Red Sparrow and RPO are the only things I see crossing 100M; A Wrinkle in Time will do worse than Tomorrowland, and TR and PR will be lucky to make 50M :hahaha: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

I think the whole concept of dinosaurs and Jurassic Park is restrictive , when it comes to sequels. I wish they’d gone full crazy with this , Dinos  in space, time travel or whatever else. Can’t see this even approaching the first movie’s bo gross, worldwide.

51 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Yeah this film will be huge thanks to not other live action dinosaur film being released since Jurassic World. 

In fact I think 500 million is in the cards, with less emphasis on kids in the trailer plus Goldblum returning, and a ton more dinosaurs this time around!!

I see you missed "Kong:Skull Island"...

And not everybody is as passinalty in love with the mere idea of Dinosaurs as you are.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ragnar said:

The JW 1 trailer is the 6th most viewed trailer of all time, bigger than Avengers Age of Ultron, CA Civil War, Furious 7, etc.

3 hours ago, Darth Boh-ne'er said:

I'm pretty sure the teaser for the first did gangbuster views.

Not within the first 24 hours though, which is my point about most of the fans rushing to see the trailer. Most of the views for Jurassic World came much later. 

Views within the first 24 hours:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Trailer (Official)  112 million views

Avengers: Age of Ultron – Trailer #3  35 million views

Avengers: Age of Ultron – Trailer #2  34.3 million views

Jurassic World – Official Trailer  13.3 million views

• Like 1

18 hours

Youtube 

11M views (a little over Black panther first teaser, in the offical channel, less in other channels) 

312k likes

41k comments

Facebook

16M views (way less than Black panther first teaser) 

Twitter

42k retweets (way less than Black panther first teaser) 

Well, not that great reception for the sequel of the 4th biggest box office of all time.

• Like 1

Man that Atila or whatever its called is gonna be bad. Jesus. Next year has alot of box office potential but outside of MI6 and Black Panther the actual quality of these blockbuster movies is looking YIKES. This year has been awesome for quality and delivered quite a few great to good blockbusters, so doesn't have to be that way. But man 2018 already kinda looking like a bit of a shitshow. Who knows though. 

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

If Steven Spielberg's name wasn't on Ready Player One, that shit would look bad for a Louis Leterrier. Rancid. Wrinkle in Time winning that month for sure IMO.

Wrinkle in Time will be lucky to pass Tomorrowland IMO. The trailers aren't connecting or generating much buzz.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Not within the first 24 hours though, which is my point about most of the fans rushing to see the trailer. Most of the views for Jurassic World came much later. 

Where are you getting these view counts for Jurassic World and Ultron? Can't be just YouTube because Force Awakens had those views from Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter combined.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Man that Atila or whatever its called is gonna be bad. Jesus. Next year has alot of box office potential but outside of MI6 and Black Panther the actual quality of these blockbuster movies is looking YIKES. This year has been awesome for quality and delivered quite a few great to good blockbusters, so doesn't have to be that way. But man 2018 already kinda looking like a bit of a shitshow. Who knows though. 

Next year looks atrocious. 

• Like 3

I think RPO gonna leverage #brand nostalgia to win March but winning March ain't saying much

And honestly April only seems slightly better, although April being a dumping ground is nothing new

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

ehhh...Your data looks strange...

The Most Viewed Trailers of 2014

DECEMBER 16, 2014

''Jurassic World, which had a hot start with 53.9 million views in its first week, finished fourth with 64 million cumulative views since debuting on Nov. 25.''

20%20.jpg

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/viewed-trailers-2014-758401

I think next year is the natural progression in the bubble of washed up franchises/cinematic universes that make no sense/blockbuster saturation that's gonna eventually burst. 2019 looks huge but it also looks bad. There's very little to get excited for there for me. This is where movie production is going, more and more every year.