K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Are you really BKB?  If so, I never got a chance to acknowledge your insane success - against EVERYBODY'S expectations - that TA was going to be as monstrous as it was, and that it would beat TDKR.  I was among the people mocking you (and predicting massive disappointment for TA, lolol).  Mea culpa, BKB.

You know, I'm obviously not a regular poster but I'm a long term lurker.  I would stilllll like to congratulate Kal on his insane success predicting - against EVERYBODY'S expectations - that Avatar was going to light the biggest fire the box office has ever seen.

Well played, Kal bud.

(Gosht that guy was such a trip. I wonder if he's still engaging in ferocious box office flame wars somewhere out there in the wider web.)

• Like 1

You know, I'm obviously not a regular poster but I'm a long term lurker.  I would stilllll like to congratulate Kal on his insane success predicting - against EVERYBODY'S expectations - that Avatar was going to light the biggest fire the box office has ever seen.

Well played, Kal bud.

(Gosht that guy was such a trip. I wonder if he's still engaging in ferocious box office flame wars somewhere out there in the wider web.)

Pair me with Kal.  I was huge on AVTR, too.  I have it on record in spades.

AVTR's magnitude of success was shocking.  No debate, and listed in my top five most astonishing box office tales just a few pages back....

....JW's OW is far more shocking, in my opinion.

-No gimmicks (Cameron's masterful hyping of 3D and the media playing along calling it "revolutionary", even though Zemeckis had achieved 100% of what Cameron achieved with 3D and handheld CG "filming", and did so 5 and 2 years earlier, respectively)

-Minimal track record (JP was huge....22 years ago, and w/ two very middling sequels in between).  Cameron had T2 (#2 R-rated movie of all time) and Titanic (#1)

-No expectations.  This was supposed to be a solid summer performer. 200 to 300m.  That's all.

-Not a CBM, not a trendy tween franchise

The only comp I can make is POTC, but even that wasn't nearly this big.

AVTR's magnitude of success was shocking.  No debate, and listed in my top five most astonishing box office tales just a few pages back....

Yeah this is unbelievable.  Crazy enough that it has me posting about boxoffice again which is very irregular for me.  Haha I just posted on Facebook about it even though I'm 100% sure that nobody I know in real life gives a damn about this film's OW.

The most astonishing for me though is still the DH II midnights, probably because I was there to witness it.  It was like a festival of fandom, and hands down the best audience I've ever watched a movie with.  And then the numbers....

I'm actually curious; has there ever been a more concentrated span of business for any film in history or is that it?

• Like 1

Yeah this is unbelievable.  Crazy enough that it has me posting about boxoffice again which is very irregular for me.  Haha I just posted on Facebook about it even though I'm 100% sure that nobody I know in real life gives a damn about this film's OW.

The most astonishing for me though is still the DH II midnights, probably because I was there to witness it.  It was like a festival of fandom, and hands down the best audience I've ever watched a movie with.  And then the numbers....

I'm actually curious; has there ever been a more concentrated span of business for any film in history or is that it?

Dont forget Avtrs 8-11 weekends OS over 120-160+M . Also the 2nd weekend hold of AVTR is also amazing.. 79M one weekend

7 69-73M the 2nd Weekend. That is just crazy lol.. Nothing on this planet gets that kind of drop besides James Cameron. :)

With hindsight I'd still say Avengers was more shocking. Jurassic World at least had the precedent of being the "true" sequel to the biggest movie between E.T. and Titanic (plus two OW records for the series). But Hulk and Captain America with some friends battling a second tier villain? And it looks like a big budget TV show? Really?

• Like 1