K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

That you can't read a book instead of watching the new film, because it's not a direct adaptation. Rowling wrote the script instead of writing a new novel, so the new films will be just as relevant to the canon of the series as the HP books. As opposed to the HP films, which are just someone's vision of the canon material.

My point in this whole thing is just...do not underestimate a project so easily. We are in the JW OW record thread, after all.

The problem with a new record being set is everyone immediately finds a way to apply the same principles to their pet project(s). It doesn't work like that.

• Like 1

That you can't read a book instead of watching the new film, because it's not a direct adaptation. Rowling wrote the script instead of writing a new novel, so the new films will be just as relevant to the canon of the series as the HP books. As opposed to the HP films, which are just someone's vision of the canon material.

My point in this whole thing is just...do not underestimate a project so easily. We are in the JW OW record thread, after all.

I thought my original post made it clear that I'd rather have had that book then the film.

But what's the focus of the books?

I agree with you, but you have to look at it a different way: nostalgia. Yep, I said it. We got used to receiving a movie / year and now we haven't had anything in 5 damn years. Even if it fails to meet expectations, this will be fully marketed as the return to that world and if WBs smart ad I think they are theyll likely make a connection with Dumbledore. It will be hyped to the stratosphere. I think it will have even weaker legs than Potter, but the OW will be huge. And there's really no other thing to compare it to, becauseno other franchise had the consistency Potter had. And that makes me to believe that the money it made came mainly from fans, not the GA. And when you have a fandom as big and as loyal that they stayed with you for 8 movies, I think they will come back to check this out. It will basically be the first time we have new material from that world since JK finished the last book in 2007/2008. 

Edited by James

Lolololol at people suggesting Civil War/Infinity War/Fantastic Beasts/BvsS will touch this opening weekend. It's delusion.

We all underestimated just how popular this property still was and just how high the nostalgia factor would affect it. The fact that tracking had this pegged at 125 (which was also the general consensus on these forums) and it's opening nearly 100 MILLION DOLLARS above that is just insane. Universal did everything right here and kudos to them for it. I love the first two films and didn't really like the trailers but somehow everything worked for me in the actual film and it's just so much fun. This type of opening takes cultivating. Whether it's 5 or so years as was the case of Avengers or 20 with something like JP, these extreme outliers aren't flukes. Yes the HP fanbase is huge and rabid but Fanatsic Beasts simply isn't the same. I think it will do big business but nothing like this monster. And I think it's safe to say that the Marvel Unvierse has found it's ceiling with TA1. There's no reason Civil War or Infinity War should go higher. Batman v Superman argument is one big laugh. Star Wars is the only thing that has a true chance at topping this and I'm excited to see just how high the turnout for it ends up being.

This is one of the most fun weekends I've ever had on here.

• Like 2

I agree with you, but you have to look at it a different way: nostalgia. Yep, I said it. We got used to receiving a movie / year and now we haven't had anything in 5 damn years. Even if it fails to meet expectations, this will be fully marketed as the return to that world and if WBs smart ad I think they are theyll likely make a connection with Dumbledore. It will be hyped to the stratosphere. I think it will have even weaker legs than Potter, but the OW will be huge. And there's really no other thing to compare it to, becauseno other franchise had the consistency Potter had. And that makes me to believe that the money it made came mainly from fans, not the GA. And when you have a fandom as big and as loyal that they stayed with you for 8 movies, I think they will come back to check this out. It will basically be the first time we have new material from that world since JK finished the last book in 2007/2008. 

Five years now counts as nostalgia? Who are you, iJack? :lol:

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

I agree with you, but you have to look at it a different way: nostalgia. Yep, I said it. We got used to receiving a movie / year and now we haven't had anything in 5 damn years. Even if it fails to meet expectations, this will be fully marketed as the return to that world and if WBs smart ad I think they are theyll likely make a connection with Dumbledore. It will be hyped to the stratosphere. I think it will have even weaker legs than Potter, but the OW will be huge. And there's really no other thing to compare it to, becauseno other franchise had the consistency Potter had. And that makes me to believe that the money it made came mainly from fans, not the GA. And when you have a fandom as big and as loyal that they stayed with you for 8 movies, I think they will come back to check this out. It will basically be the first time we have new material from that world sine JK finished the last book in 2007/2008. 

Nostalgia might work for the fans, but I think Beasts will have a hard time catering to GA like the HP saga did. I think many people will be like "eh, why bother?". 

I think you're forgetting how good WOM was for Avengers and TDK.

Yeah. Buzz is pretty good for JW too. It's not Transformers 2 or Spidey 3. It also doesn't appear to be TA or TDK league of good. Something in between like Dead Man's Chest.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

NEW UPDATED LIST:

6/12/15 Jurassic World Uni 208.8
5/6/12Marvel's The AvengersBV$207,438,708
7/17/11Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2WB$169,189,427
7/20/08The Dark KnightWB$158,411,483*
5/6/07Spider-Man 3Sony$151,116,516
7/9/06Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's ChestBV$135,634,554
5/5/02Spider-ManSony$114,844,11
11/18/01Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's StoneWB$90,294,621
05/25/97The Lost World: Jurassic ParkUni.$72,132,785
6/18/95Batman ForeverWB$52,784,433
6/13/93Jurassic ParkUni.$47,026,828
*6/21/92Batman ReturnsWB$45,687,711
6/25/89BatmanWB$40,489,746
6/18/89Ghostbusters IICol.$29,472,894
5/28/89Indiana Jones and the Last CrusadePar.$29,355,021
5/24/87Beverly Hills Cop IIPar.$26,348,555
5/27/84Indiana Jones and the Temple of DoomPar.$25,337,110
5/29/83Return of the JediFox$23,019,618
6/6/82Star Trek II: The Wrath of KhanPar.$14,347,221
6/21/81Superman IIWB$14,100,523
12/9/79Star Trek: The Motion PicturePar.$11,926,421
12/31/78Superman (3rd weekend)WB$10,363,384
12/24/78Every Which Way But LooseWB$10,272,294
7/23/78Star Wars (re-issue)Fox$10,166,336
6/18/78Jaws 2Uni.$9,866,023
*8/7/77Star Wars (11th weekend)Fox$7,195,573
*6/22/75JawsUni.$7,061,5132

27 Movies broke the OW record since "Jaws" 40 years ago.

Longest OW Record (Spider Man 4 Years)
Shortest OW Record (Ghostbbusters 2, 4 Days)

Franchise With Multiple OW Records:

Batman (4): 89, 92, 95, 08
Star Wars (3) 77, 78, 83
Jurassic Park (3) 93, 97, 15
Jaws (2) 75, 79
Superman (2) 79, 81
Harry Potter (2) 01, 11
Spider man (2) 01, 07

Congrats to Steven, Colin, Chris, Bryce and Indominous Rex and OG  T-Rex 

5.gif
  • Like 2

Five years now counts as nostalgia? Who are you, iJack? :lol:

Even if the original HP 14 years ago were nostalgia, JP still has the edge because the kids who loved it then really don't have kids of their own to take to the new one yet.

Right now Beasts is a wild card for me. It could smoke JW, Avengers and TDK "if" it gets the Harry Potter crowd and it looks awesome enough to stand on its own to be a major draw for the general audience. It could also flop if it isolates itself from the general audience and is too obscure or doesn't have enough connection to HP to draw the faithful

A spin off bigger than the biggest HP movie?

Very unlikely.

• Like 4

As a fanboy I agree with most of your points but why would the finale of the most popular literary franchise of all time open LOWER than a spin off? HP2 was the fanbase response at its absolute loudest, which is evident in the midnight and Friday number. I can't see how Fantastic Beasts gets more awareness than that film had or more crossover appeal. I don't even think it tops DH2 weekend, 135-150 would be a huge win for it.

NEW UPDATED LIST:

6/12/15 Jurassic World Uni 208.8
5/6/12Marvel's The AvengersBV$207,438,708
7/17/11Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2WB$169,189,427
7/20/08The Dark KnightWB$158,411,483*
5/6/07Spider-Man 3Sony$151,116,516
7/9/06Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's ChestBV$135,634,554
5/5/02Spider-ManSony$114,844,11
11/18/01Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's StoneWB$90,294,621
05/25/97The Lost World: Jurassic ParkUni.$72,132,785
6/18/95Batman ForeverWB$52,784,433
6/13/93Jurassic ParkUni.$47,026,828
*6/21/92Batman ReturnsWB$45,687,711
6/25/89BatmanWB$40,489,746
6/18/89Ghostbusters IICol.$29,472,894
5/28/89Indiana Jones and the Last CrusadePar.$29,355,021
5/24/87Beverly Hills Cop IIPar.$26,348,555
5/27/84Indiana Jones and the Temple of DoomPar.$25,337,110
5/29/83Return of the JediFox$23,019,618
6/6/82Star Trek II: The Wrath of KhanPar.$14,347,221
6/21/81Superman IIWB$14,100,523
12/9/79Star Trek: The Motion PicturePar.$11,926,421
12/31/78Superman (3rd weekend)WB$10,363,384
12/24/78Every Which Way But LooseWB$10,272,294
7/23/78Star Wars (re-issue)Fox$10,166,336
6/18/78Jaws 2Uni.$9,866,023
*8/7/77Star Wars (11th weekend)Fox$7,195,573
*6/22/75JawsUni.$7,061,5132

27 Movies broke the OW record since "Jaws" 40 years ago.

Longest OW Record (Spider Man 4 Years)
Shortest OW Record (Ghostbbusters 2, 4 Days)

Franchise With Multiple OW Records:

Batman (4): 89, 92, 95, 08
Star Wars (3) 77, 78, 83
Jurassic Park (3) 93, 97, 15
Jaws (2) 75, 79
Superman (2) 79, 81
Harry Potter (2) 01, 11
Spider man (2) 01, 07

Congrats to Steven, Colin, Chris, Bryce and Indominous Rex and OG  T-Rex 

5.gif

Longest OW record holder is actually "The Lost World": http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-04-30-throwback-thursday-a-look-back-at-past-opening-weekend-record-breakers

2. Spider-Man (May 2002)

Title Held: 4 years, 2 months, 4 days (broken by Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest)

Opening Weekend: $114.8 million

Adjusted for 2015 Prices: $160.5 million

One summer after Bryan Singer's X-Men revitalized the superhero genre, Sam Raimi delivered a pitch-perfect origin story for arguably the most enduring character in the Marvel mythos. As the first film to ever crack $100 million in its first three days, Spider-Man had a major hand in the beginning of Hollywood's comic book adaptation era.

1. The Lost World: Jurassic Park (May 1997)

Title Held: 4 years, 5 months, 24 days (broken by Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone)

Opening Weekend: $72.1 million

Adjusted for 2015 Prices: $127.6 million

Four years after Steven Spielberg conquered the global box office (again) with the 1993 classic, audiences were hungry to go back to "the park". Aside from other challengers in the years following (such as Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, which bowed on a Wednesday instead of Friday), The Lost Worldwas the biggest opener of its time and still lays claim to having owned that record longer than any other movie.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 6

I think you're underestimating JP4. It wouldn't have set the record without great WOM. Buzz spreads quickly thanks to Facebook and Twitter these days.

There were still reports of audiences clapping at the end of JW last night. Those weren't fanboy crowds, WOM won't be an issue.

Lolololol at people suggesting Civil War/Infinity War/Fantastic Beasts/BvsS will touch this opening weekend. It's delusion.

We all underestimated just how popular this property still was and just how high the nostalgia factor would affect it. The fact that tracking had this pegged at 125 (which was also the general consensus on these forums) and it's opening nearly 100 MILLION DOLLARS above that is just insane. Universal did everything right here and kudos to them for it. I love the first two films and didn't really like the trailers but somehow everything worked for me in the actual film and it's just so much fun. This type of opening takes cultivating. Whether it's 5 or so years as was the case of Avengers or 20 with something like JP, these extreme outliers aren't flukes. Yes the HP fanbase is huge and rabid but Fanatsic Beasts simply isn't the same. I think it will do big business but nothing like this monster. And I think it's safe to say that the Marvel Unvierse has found it's ceiling with TA1. There's no reason Civil War or Infinity War should go higher. Batman v Superman argument is one big laugh. Star Wars is the only thing that has a true chance at topping this and I'm excited to see just how high the turnout for it ends up being.

It's not delusional.

If AOU was a great movie and there was no Mayweather fight, you don't think it could've made over 208 m OW.

That's just an extra 17 m.

I think you're underestimating JP4. It wouldn't have set the record without great WOM. Buzz spreads quickly thanks to Facebook and Twitter these days.

I'd agree with this more if Transformers 2 didn't gross $200M+ over its Wednesday through Sunday opening. And, did so without 3D and much IMAX with 2009 ticket prices.

I do think WOM is good. I think the WOM for Spidey, Dark Knight and Avengers was great though.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Agree with all of this.

• Like 1