Avatree

Warcraft: One Billion Gold

TARGET: $1,000,000,000

maxresdefault.jpg

After stuck in development hell for many years, Universal is at last unleashing Warcraft upon Azeroth Earth. As a big spectacle fantasy film, could the $1B club be seeing a new recruit?

[WORLDWIDE NUMBERS ONLY]

CLUB REASONS

- As one of the most profitable online games of all time, the Warcraft brand has an established place in popular culture

- Over 30 million people have bought and subscribed to World of Warcraft globally, and despite being over a decade old it is still popular

- World of Warcraft is huge already in China. With its rapidly growing market, demand for big-budget special effects films, and Warcraft being co-financed by China Film, could be looking at 300-400M in the country, or even higher

- Duncan Jones' first two films were excellently received; there are some very talented creatives in the movie

- Universal has recently been pushing phenomenal successful marketing campaigns for its major movies

- Warcraft is set to have some of the most advanced visual effects ever seen, which will appeal to mass audiences

- The movie has a prime summer release date, same weekend as Jurassic World, one of the biggest OWs of all time

- Diverse cast should appeal to various audiences

- Although major fantasy films are not common, the Middle-earth films have shown there is a demand for big budget epic fantasy

FROSTWOLF CLAN

treeroy: 1,131M

Red-Ops 9

Owen McGrady

Jake Gittes

HeyItsMoses

BURNING LEGION

Icicle

Jandrew

killimano3

theStun

North Stars: 460M

DAJK: 490M

grey ghost: 500M

DAR: 525M

Ethan: 680M

Ray G: 702M

Edited by Treeth Simanton

Way out.

I don't see the crossover appeal of this.

Star Wars, MCU and The Hobbit is nerdy but this is too nerdy.

I think it will perform like another super nerdy franchise, Star Trek.

So around 500 m WW.

650 m if it gets great WOM.

• Like 1

Tree you had a really good call with you JW club, but this...this is a headscratcher.   :huh:

It may not do amazingly well in the US, but it is going to do ridiculous numbers overseas, especially in Asia. Hell, it could do 150M in the US and still crack 1B. WoW is a huge brand in China and this has a strong shot at being the #1 film ever, over there. Similar story for Korea.

You'll see I'm right closer to release. ;)

Out. Don't think it can go that high personally.

I've always thought that the original Reign of Chaos - Frozen Throne storyline would be perfect to show in movie-form and I especially have always wanted to see Arthas brought to the big screen.

That said there is such a high chance in my mind that movie could be a failure that I can't have much confidence

Out. Don't think it can go that high personally.

I've always thought that the original Reign of Chaos - Frozen Throne storyline would be perfect to show in movie-form and I especially have always wanted to see Arthas brought to the big screen.

That said there is such a high chance in my mind that movie could be a failure that I can't have much confidence

Seeing Arthas brought to life in cinema would be a dream come true, although it would be difficult to tell much of his story in the space of 2 hours. Anyway it wouldn't affect the box office.

Seeing Arthas brought to life in cinema would be a dream come true, although it would be difficult to tell much of his story in the space of 2 hours. Anyway it wouldn't affect the box office.

They could do it as a trilogy. First movie would be focused on Arthas as a human defending his kingdom and his fall to the Undead, end it with the Burning Legion arrival and destruction of Dalaran. Second movie would focus on the Night Elves (Tyrande/Illidan/Furion being the leads with some Jaina and Thrall that we would have seen in the first movie) and their fight against the Burning Legion (bring Arthas and the Undead with them to give more weight to the ennermy) with the alliances with the Orcs/Taurens/Humans. End with their victory at the World Tree. Final film would be the story of The Frozen Throne expansion, Arthas ascension to the Lich King, Sylvanas rebelling against his influence and Illidan/Kael'Thas vs Maiev to finish in the Illidan vs Arthas fight at the Frozen Throne. So many great characters and stories (though not widly original but all is in the execution). 

But before the first movie had to be a success (and probably the second since there will be a Warcraft 2 movie) and I think it will be. Just because I want it since I love the Warcraft universe (and want sequels) and that could be a starter of great video games movies (really interested in Uncharted/Mass Effect, eventually Starcraft or Diablo if Blizzard wants to continue). Excited to see the probable trailer from Comic-con (hope they'll release online too, that seems to be a trend this year).

Though it probably won't do 1B$ WW, I can see it push to 700M, maybe 800M, not more. Around 200M DOM and 500-600M OS should be possible. Universal will bet big on this since it will be one of their biggest movie of the year, they gave it the prime JW spot (though Warcraft is no Jurrasic movie). And they will want to go big on this one to even approach a little their incredible 2015 results

Edited by Shaldun