KingoftheWorld

Is physical media dying?

I would be ok with moving to digital only on my PS4 if games were cheaper on launch date (I got Batman: Arkham Knight for 44€ physical, while digital it would cost me 65€. Whoever, movies would never see a scent from me again. It just doesn't make sense to pay for a movie digitally, IMO. At least not to me. 

I would be ok with moving to digital only on my PS4 if games were cheaper on launch date (I got Batman: Arkham Knight for 44€ physical, while digital it would cost me 65€. Whoever, movies would never see a scent from me again. It just doesn't make sense to pay for a movie digitally, IMO. At least not to me. 

Why are you ready to pay for digital games but not for digital movies?

And how do you see the future of film industry if more people think like you. VOD is constantly being pushed forward and with things like Oculus Rift theatrical release might soon be thing of the past. Or at least very niche thing. So do you see that movie industry will collapse because people will pirate everything? I certainly hope not. 

I am myself buying both physical and digital movies. But my most favourite movies I want to have as physical copy. And as Bluray preferably. 

Edited by KingoftheWorld

I hate digital games as I cant resell a game. 

I only find digital copies a rip off as its similar price to Home video. 

To be honest digital revenue will never equal physical revenue of days past.

People will just watch it for free or on Netflix. 

yes. Sadly regular audiences are moving on to streaming and downloads. Soon I can see Blu rays becoming targeted to film fans only, like Criterions Blu rays. They will have great picture and extras but be very expensive and made in a limited quantity

it is mainly because audiences believed the nonsense lies that Blu ray "Wasn't better than DVD" or "it is too expensive" 

I hardly ever buy blu-ray or dvds anymore it's almost all streaming or renting VOD. but there are a few movies I do go out and buy on blu-ray. but yeah, Dvd's and blu-ray will be around for a while but it will be less and less people who keep buying them and eventually it will fade completely.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2015 at 0:33 PM, KingoftheWorld said:

Do you think that it will all be streaming or digital downloads in coming years or will Blurays still be a thing in the future?

Blu Rays definitely won't stick around forever.

Will physical media be around in some form? I suppose.

Edited by cannastop

There's always those ~sophisticates who will transfer their entire library to the newest physical medium while still holding on to the Blu Ray, the DVD, the VHS, and the Betamax. 

I cannot count myself among them. I buy the occasional blu ray on discount but I admit I haven't actually taken the shrinkwrap off of any of them.

On 8/2/2015 at 8:50 PM, Murgatroyd said:

Physical media may decline, but it's not going away any time soon for one simple reason:

You can't wrap a download and put it under the tree.

But you can wrap a gift card.

But yeah, I see physical media going its way out.  Just like nobody buys CDs anymore, I reckon Blu-Rays and DVDs will fade out within the next 10-20 years.

Edited by The Panda of the Caribbean

6 hours ago, The Panda of the Caribbean said:

But you can wrap a gift card.

But yeah, I see physical media going its way out.  Just like nobody buys CDs anymore, I reckon Blu-Rays and DVDs will fade out within the next 10-20 years.

But physical music hasn't faded. Vinyl is continuing a comeback. However, physical and digital sales for music have been declining fast with the rise of streaming services: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/25/business/media/music-sales-remain-steady-but-lucrative-cd-sales-decline.html?_r=0

Blu-Rays are already sort of an enthusiast platform, and I don't see that changing. Many already have Blu-Ray players, so I don't think it'll become niche like vinyl.

Edited by WrathOfHan

40 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

But physical music hasn't faded. Vinyl is continuing a comeback. However, physical and digital sales for music have been declining fast with the rise of streaming services: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/25/business/media/music-sales-remain-steady-but-lucrative-cd-sales-decline.html?_r=0

Blu-Rays are already sort of an enthusiast platform, and I don't see that changing. Many already have Blu-Ray players, so I don't think it'll become niche like vinyl.

I was about to say Vinyl is niche and is playing out more like a fad.  It's not going to save physical media.

And many people had DVD players too, but that isn't saving DVDs either.  It's not happening overnight, but it's happening.

I also reckon digital sales of films will start fading if we get a Spotify like level streaming service for film (I'm iffy on if it'll happen or not, Netflix is close but doesn't cut it).

I wouldn't place any bets on physical media staying relevant in the long run.

Yes. DVDs and Blu-rays will eventually be phased out. Digital Distribution is just cheaper and more convenient. The only thing stopping major studios from committing to digital distribution is the fact that there is no universal streaming service. The closest one is Netflix.